Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's been almost six and a half years since New Vegas was released...

Higher Animal

Arcane
My guess is that less than 20% of the non-guard NPC, non Merchant population has no unique dialogues. If you don't believe me, go check out Seyda Neen's NPCs and see what you find.

you mean the opposite, right?

Most of the npcs you interact with for quests have unique dialogue, unique greetings. Even if 4/5 NPCs do not, does it matter? You will not be speaking to them, unless you want to know something even a commoner could tell you, like directions to the nearest guild, or silt strider... Maybe I don't understand your point..

I'm pretty sure most NPCs have unique dialogues.
Aesthetics are not Morrowind's strong point imo, but I think the base graphics are actually still good, I never mod them.

Morrowind has elite aesthetics. Compare it to Gothic 2.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm pretty sure most NPCs have unique dialogues.

Not at all.

The big difference between a game like Gothic or Fallout, when compared to Morrowind, is that NPCs who have nothing to say don't bother talking to you. They just reply with one-liners, because they aren't important. And IMO, it makes them feel much more alive, like the NPCs from The Witcher 1.

In Morrowind, "immersive NPCs" works against the game. They can all talk to you about different topics, but all of them say exactly the same, so it is painfully obvious they aren't real people. Muh immershun is shattered when five NPCs tell me the exact same thing about a certain topic.

TC Jr

Scholar
I'm playing kotor2 and quite like the way their dialogue works, a lot of the NPC's have their own opinions and shit on topics that can act as a wiki dump without breaking that immersion, while also having generic "commoners" speak a single line that gives you an idea and feel of the place you're in.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just finished FO:NV for the final ending (never really wanted to do the NCR ending, but figured I should get it over with.) Then I see a video where you can... get the Brotherhood to ally with Caesar's Legion or NCR? What? How the hell did I miss that? Then I saw Arcade Gannons old Fart Force or whatever. Huh? Then I saw you could make a slave of Arcade. Dammit.

Now, I sorta need to play this again.

Fargus

Arcane
Just finished FO:NV for the final ending (never really wanted to do the NCR ending, but figured I should get it over with.) Then I see a video where you can... get the Brotherhood to ally with Caesar's Legion or NCR? What? How the hell did I miss that? Then I saw Arcade Gannons old Fart Force or whatever. Huh? Then I saw you could make a slave of Arcade. Dammit.

Now, I sorta need to play this again.

NV is full of surprises. It took me at least 3-4 playthroughs to find most locations and some of them even had habitants with quests, locations like The Thorn and North Vegas square. I even managed to find a few easy to miss quests and a new location on my last playthrough (which i think was my 7th or 8th time). Then i realised how much i love this game.

:love:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
It's goddamn but FO:NV is why I like RPGs. Not the FPS aspects, but the pure staggering number of ways you can interact with your environment. You can reload all you want to win a fight, but you select something in Goodsprings that kind of sets the tone for your entire experience. Also, fuck NCR!

TC Jr

Scholar
Best game I'll never play again lol, think I overdone it one time and now no amount of mods can shake things up, I always wish they were able to finish it but fuck it.

It also took me a good few playthroughs before discovering the thorn and some quests

No shit a plot character and a quest giver are unique. The point is that they are the minority in Morrowind. Every other NPC is just a pointless Wikipedia-style info dispenser. At least in Fallout those NPCs had nothing to talk about. In Morrowind, you just can't be sure which NPC is worth your time and which ones are filler best avoided.

That's kind of necessary given that there's no quest compass and it's open world. It's no different from how most people on the street IRL interact with you, when strangers ask me for directions I don't give them my backstory. Proposing that they should be made literally useless instead sounds inane, do you really need that extra second that comes from opening the dialogue box instead of getting Fallout-like floating text? There's not even that many NPCs, in fact a common complaint about the game is that it looks barren.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That's kind of necessary given that there's no quest compass and it's open world. It's no different from how most people on the street IRL interact with you, when strangers ask me for directions I don't give them my backstory. Proposing that they should be made literally useless instead sounds inane, do you really need that extra second that comes from opening the dialogue box instead of getting Fallout-like floating text? There's not even that many NPCs, in fact a common complaint about the game is that it looks barren.

I would have simply removed most of the dialogue topics you use with NPCs, as most of the time those offer no information at all, though I understand if people think different to me in this one.

Sykar

Arcane
You are complaining about something nearly all RPGs do. They help fill the world, and at least the ones in Morrowind can give you region/faction/profession/race specific info. You usually won't be interacting with them.

That's the thing, though: Morrowind's NPCs are good for giving info, sometimes, because they all essentially give the same info. Instead of making all NPCs copies of each other, Bethesda should have tried to make them slightly more distinguished from each other.

I still think you wouldn't have said what you did unless you hadn't played the game.

I have over 300 hours in Morrowind. That's more than enough of "playing the game".

Well who would be autistic enough to go around and try to squeeze every NPC for as much information as possible?

:happytrollboy:

I would have simply removed most of the dialogue topics you use with NPCs, as most of the time those offer no information at all, though I understand if people think different to me in this one.

Actually most people should have told you to fuck off unless asking for directions. No way would some average guard have the time and patience to tell you about everything he knows.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Actually most people should have told you to fuck off unless asking for directions. No way would some average guard have the time and patience to tell you about everything he knows.

Exactly my friend. Especially because, if they don't have anything to say, why the fuck even engage in conversation with me? That's why I like The Witcher and Gothic: the NPCs that have nothing to say simply walk on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom