Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ITZ HAPPENING in EVE Online

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hoaxmetal roll-a-die

http://themittani.com/news/b-r5rb-biggest-battle-all-eve

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1wb8lf/largest_super_capital_fight_in_eve_online_history/

More than 60 Titans destroyed so far.

6BbHi.gif

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
That's wonderful :D . Pure poetry :D . EVE Online sounds like the best MMO game ever :D !

Wonderful :D . Pure :incline: !

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
By the way, in case it's not clear from the article, this galactic war literally started because someone neglected to pay their rent in a timely manner.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
By the way, in case it's not clear from the article, this galactic war literally started because someone neglected to pay their rent in a timely manner.
Don't they all.

roll-a-die

Magister
Actually this war started because the ruskies wanted their lands back, so far their progress has been mixed, this battle started because a PL alt corp forgot to pay the rent on their staging system. 60 titans dead is impressive, materials cost, seems to indicate about 50k-100k worth of kwandollars in losses so far if my math isn't wrong.

Haven't played eve in a while, this made me want to go back though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Actually this war started because the ruskies wanted their lands back, so far their progress has been mixed, this battle started because a PL alt corp forgot to pay the rent on their staging system.

I was using the word "war" to refer to this specific battle. "Battle" just didn't seem adequate to describe it.

In any event, ten years of EVE have led up to this point. This may turn out to be the pinnacle of emergent gameplay, the game's collective destiny—trillions of minerals destroyed every hour in an orgy of entropy, because someone forgot to press a button. That's the essence of the game distilled to its purest form.

As far as your math goes, if we estimate 100b per Titan, that's 6t+ ISK for the 60+ titans alone. At about $40 per 1b as PLEX is reckoned (can't be fucked to look up PLEX market prices), that's $240,000.

Of course for some reason, no one ever uses PLEX prices when estimating damage done in USD, and I've been gone too long to remember which is the most accepted way of reckoning.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So basically it's even more like real wars?

It's exactly like real wars, except that EVE players are far more honest about the fact that they're killing the living fuck out of each other in order to seize strategic territory and resources for themselves.

roll-a-die

Magister
Anyway, reading some of the BR's and progod's tweets, spending 2 hours(Roughly 20 minutes of actual time in that amount of tidi) trying to DD a DD tanked super, means that the FC and caller were both dumb. Their dd's would have been better spent pounding on the dreads. Or not on petty grudges that the FC has with Sort Dragon.

Can't wait for both sides to start crying. CFC being smug tears, and the PL Bros being tears of raeg.

And yes, this is even more like real wars just in a microcosm. Even more background; About a year ago a combined opfor of Europeans(NC.) Americans(Nulli Secunda, PL) and associated Eastern Europeans(Collectively known as the Gypsy Wagon. Made up mostly of Gypsy Band, and Red Alliance, and various other smaller entities) pushed most of the remaining Russian's back into a corner. Solar Fleet was the target of that war, Solar having pushed Legion of XxDeathxX out of their space about 6 months before then, mostly with the help of PL super capitals. They then installed PL and NC. as the primary controllers of the space, Gypsy Band not really wanting to be owning much space, Red Alliance not able to really market itself to the currently massively blobbed up Russians. Solar however was not defeated, and gathered forces and time, through whatever means they had available to them. Late last year, XxDeathxX managed to take back a small region of land, I didn't pay attention to that war, it was small and boring and had like 1 major fight before people got bored. And I think Solar grew some balls for this, mustering all it's potential diplomacy, it convinced the largest faction in the game to back it. As well as the best force of mercenaries in the game, Black Legion.. And decided to ride in like Hussars and just see where things went.

So what you have here, is basically the result of 1 great power having been ganged up on by another great power, and it's associated minor powers. And the remaining great powers basically smacking back. The CFC and NC. bros, having been in a stalemate of recovery for about a year now since the war in Delve, where the previous largest alliance in the game fail cascaded.

Thane Solus

Arcane
1600 people, thats 5% sisi, fuck that shit, i wont play again at 5%. Its horrible boring. Huge blobs, and titans for everyone killed eve several years ago. I was actually in most of the fights in the last 2 months(the CFC, Razor side), until i simply quit of boredom during of one of these ops, staying there with a 5% sisi, and shooting a structure. Of course they were some fights where we killed caps and titans, but man is just got to me. If u havent played EVE its cool for a few months, years, but unfortunately after that you cant play it anymore since its the same shit. Blobs vs blobs in a laggy "sisi" environment.

roll-a-die

Magister
From the numbers I was able to get, whoever decided to go all in, was dumb, the numbers weren't in it, they were outnumbed more than 2 to 1 by the CFC.

Heresiarch

Prophet
...And yes, this is even more like real wars just in a microcosm. Even more background; About a year ago a combined opfor of Europeans(NC.) Americans(Nulli Secunda, PL) and associated Eastern Europeans(Collectively known as the Gypsy Wagon. Made up mostly of Gypsy Band, and Red Alliance, and various other smaller entities) pushed most of the remaining Russian's back into a corner...

Wow...so even in game they have true international politics with alliances composed of people from the same countries or areas?

I've just read a former CEO who has lead one of the largest EVE corp telling his stories and it sounds awesome. The game itself may be boring (I've played it so I know it) but once you get into its politics it's getting so interesting (and tiresome).

Angthoron

Arcane
Eh, you see nationality-based guilds in MMOs a lot. I guess it's mainly got to do with the "speak the same language" and "easy to meet up/organize" stuff, but man, the drama stories I've heard about these nationality-based bunches are hilarious.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
can you even make any strategic and/or informed choices in that laggy clusterfuck

not really. you get shouted orders on teamspeak and IF you understand them you TRY to execute them and wait minutes for them to happen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So what was the outcome? And how can losses be quantified in dollars, when you only have to pay a subscription to play?

Crowd Control Productions sells Pilot's License Extensions (PLEX) for $20 per each, which are essentially vouchers granting a month of EVE Online subscription time. While PLEX can be redeemed directly from a player's account management screen on their Internet browser, they can also be "claimed" by the player's character in-game, at which time the PLEX becomes an actual in-game object. This PLEX can then be used by a player's character in-game to add a month of subscription time to the parent account. They may also be put up for sale on the public market, traded privately, stored in cargo holds and transported, kept in storage somewhere, etc.

Game Time Cards (GTCs) have been around far longer than PLEX, and can also be traded between players following a set of official guidelines CCP set to curtail fraud.

In other words, players can purchase subscription time vouchers and then sell them to other players for real money. It's been this way for years. Currently, a $20 PLEX sells for approx. 630,000,000 ISK. Since a market price can be put on almost every ship and module in EVE, and indeed many databases do so automatically and accurately, the value of a ship and its modules in USD can be accurately approximated. A 100b-ISK Titan therefore ostensibly costs 159 PLEX, or $3,180. However, as you'll note from roll-a-die's post above, most veterans use Russian black market RMT ISK prices or something when valuing ships in USD. I've forgotten now, been away for years.

Inflation has been steadily increasing in recent years (also, the Incursions expansion allowed carebears to afford PLEX, increasing demand); at one time, well under 500,000,000 ISK per PLEX was the norm and most veterans thought it was too high. No doubt inflation will continue unchecked in EVE until one of Iceland's supervolcanoes erupts, thus eradicating CCP and EVE Online with it.

Last edited:
i bought my first plex for 300m, and it felt damn expensive because prices were rising already.
right now eve is "work hard for somebody else's glory".
i have real life for that.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
right now eve is "work hard for somebody else's glory".

Nullsec's been that way since I started playing in 2006, though the entrenchment does seem to worsen every year.

The only genuine fun remaining (from my point of view) is to set up a treehouse with your pals in WH space, perform scouting duties for small/medium sized fleets, or roam around in a gang (or solo, if you can hack it) looking for gudfites. Which is quite a lot of fun, actually. Scanning down loot/tears pinatas is amazingly enjoyable, but can take a long time.

That or be a spai and BRING DOWN THE ESTABLISHMENT!!!, but at this juncture that's a pipe dream unless you're already well-placed in some power bloc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom