Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ITZ HAPPENING in EVE Online

MoLAoS

i still dont see how it is the goons fault that eve is shit. ccp designed nullsec around the numbers are everything principle and now its the goons fault that they can field the most people because ... they can? what are they supposed to do? put every goon in its own corps an e-hounourably promise to only shoot each other?

plus, the blobbing was started by BoB. and it became pretty apparent to everyone in this days that it's the best way to play nullsec. everyone else could have won the blob race. the goons did. ipso facto it's the goons fault.

sorry but this doesnt swing with me mate. you have two options:
a) stop playing a game when you dislike its basic mechanics
b) get more friends than goons into said game and counterblob

Except no one else can do it on the Goon's level. Most persistent worlds encourage both blobbing and favoritism just like the real world. But no other group of people can dominate so many games the way Goons do. Everyone can NOT win the blob race like Goons did. They were always going to win. History from other games tells us this. I don't know that any other group would ruin games as much as Goons do. Because I've only seen Goons do it. What I do know is that if you remove Goons from the equation the game becomes infinitely superior for everyone else because no one else can blob even half as hard as Goons. Is it the Goons fault? I think yes but it also doesn't matter. Their intent to ruin any MMO they come into contact with doesn't concern me nearly as much as the fact that they do.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
i still dont see how it is the goons fault that eve is shit. ccp designed nullsec around the numbers are everything principle and now its the goons fault that they can field the most people because ... they can? what are they supposed to do? put every goon in its own corps an e-hounourably promise to only shoot each other?

plus, the blobbing was started by BoB. and it became pretty apparent to everyone in this days that it's the best way to play nullsec. everyone else could have won the blob race. the goons did. ipso facto it's the goons fault.

sorry but this doesnt swing with me mate. you have two options:
a) stop playing a game when you dislike its basic mechanics
b) get more friends than goons into said game and counterblob

Except no one else can do it on the Goon's level.

And how is that a goon problem?

They were always going to win.
Hitler was always going to win too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The world (and by extension, EVE Online) simply is the way it is. Wishing that thousands of people you don't like would die (or quit playing the game, in EVE Online's case) is a time-honored human tradition and pipe dream, generally achievable only by leaders of empires or of revolutions with teeth, and only on occasion. Very often, they don't get their way.

EVE's mechanics quite simply reward huge organizations (and in particular, their leadership) for being huge, and they reward time spent in-game as well. The Mittani has fame, influence, and experience, as do the rest of the Goon leadership (not so much the fame, though). They've been playing the real game—the one played on Kugutsumen, through private forum PMs, IRC chats, VoIP chats, surveillance of enemy message boards and corporate espionage, real-life meetups, and of course managing their empire—for years. They're experienced and entrenched. Bittervet rank-and-file Goons are often also incredibly experienced players, having learned all the basics ages ago and become so familiar with advanced concepts that the thought of having to explain them to a new player is nausea-inducing.

Newcomers who aren't thoroughly familiar with the game's mechanics and subtle nuances and who haven't had years to build up contacts, influence, and of course wealth and holdings will have a difficult time of it, no matter how dedicated they are.

Plus, the Goons aren't all bad. Mittani and co. regularly concoct comical propaganda-ridden social engineering stunts, such as the Gallente Ice Interdiction (which also just so happened to generate insane profits for some people with inside knowledge).

Now at the end of the day, all this is a computer game and too much hassle, which is why I retired.

BrickManslab

Educated
I'm not in the loop since my identity is too public, especially with all the Goon trashing I do. Also, aside from being offensive, referring to the people involved as autistic is inaccurate. They are extremely intelligent and math oriented but still high functioning socially. They just do text based MMOs instead of Paradox games or RPGs or football or w/e as their hobby.

Actually the Machines thing isn't Goon related. It applies to anyone in nullsec.

I apologize if autistic was too harsh; for some reason EVE makes people tent their fingers and start cackling about all their grand, long-term strategic plans that they and only they are privy to (nine times out of ten they don't even play the game), and I might have lumped your post in with all of that.

Of course, that said, I would not describe playing a game for eight hours a day for years to get revenge on some people who post on the same forum as some other people that messed with your browser mmo as "high-functioning"

The main thing I have a problem with is you saying these people will somehow win without blobbing, or perhaps it's win with blobbing and then choose to not blob anymore. I can't even think of an appropriate metaphor, maybe the United States winning the war in the pacific and going "Carriers are cheating guys, everyone back to battleships"

MoLAoS

How is that any less high functioning that football fans or something? Its just a hobby like anything else.

You don't really have to play 8 hours a day unless there is a war going on, anyways. Its not like EVE can't be fun. Switching to EVE instead of Astro Empires or w/e other game when you are bored with Space Fed isn't a giant sacrifice.

Anyways, not blobbing is an issue of needs. Bluing everyone and holding way more space than necessary and renting it out and crap is dull and more importantly, dumb. If the purpose of EVE is massive space battles, bluing the whole universe and preventing anyone else from getting into super cap production is anti-awesome.

Beating the Goon's isn't about winning, its about clearing out a cancer that is making null stagnate more than necessarily implied by the poor sov mechanics. A lot of people argue that CCP can't go in and make the game interesting, but after all their bleating about player created content, if another player group gets the Goons under control, they won't be able to complain. EVE being a sandbox and all.

So, crush the Goons and tell the rest of the player base: "Guys, this shit isn't acceptable. If you try to blue the whole universe we'll stomp you like we did them."

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
right now eve is "work hard for somebody else's glory".

Nullsec's been that way since I started playing in 2006, though the entrenchment does seem to worsen every year.

The entrenchment is a direct result of shitty design.

This. 1000 times this. We could have 100 alliances with coalitions of no more than 4-5 and most not in one owning Sov on their own merits. Instead we have the shitfest of current EVE. 3 or so massive coalitions, majority of alliances are renting or holding alliances and somewhat similar percents of corps are renting or holding corps. This shit is both a direct result of CCP mismanagement and the Goon blobbing obsession. We need more systems and a large amount of difficulty in holding more than say, 100 systems by a single alliance/coalition.

How is it the Goons fault that blobbing is the most effective way to play the game? They neither started it nor are they the only ones that are obsessed with blobbing.

Goons blob in every game. And they do it hard and fast and they have an almost identical hierarchy, too. Blobbing is only the most effective way to play if you want to handle boring carebear bullshit to make mittens his RMT cash. The most effective way to play if you want an interesting game is a lot different. Furthermore Goons have their cradle to grave SA recruitment program. Honestly it reminds me of the way coalitions on the Asian server operate. Would other people have to form massive coalitions if not for the Goon influence? I doubt it. The whole drama of TEST was that they wanted to be able to limit Goon influence and thus invited too many disparate alliances who hate each other and so they blew up and failscaded.

Its true that CCP has design issues that encourage blobbing but the Goons specifically make a lot of effort to exploit that and use the resource of SA as a farm for grunts to help them blob better. Goons are the dominant political force in the game and they control the meta. Almost all the other blobs like Test and N3 formed to fight the Goon blob. You'll see what I mean when either the Illumination or the Machines destroy the Goons and then consciously choose not to enforce blobbing mechanics.

you use a lot of words to tell us that the goons have friends, that this is bad and that bob never existed and test has been made to kill goons.

There is a huge difference between having friends and fielding an obscene number of pilots from private communities plus bluing half of null so you can never lose.

If you think Goons wouldn't shit a brick if another group with their numbers came in you are wrong. Or even someone with 1/10th of their numbers and serious organization.

Its not only Goons, they just control the largest private forum community and thus are the most successful and have also been around a long time. Current EVE nullsec is like the ancient stagnant rounds of OGame except a new round doesn't start up for new groups to have a chance. OGame had a similar cycle or large coalition blobbing and people quitting due to boredom because their was no one large enough left for their version of tidi inducing fight, called fleet crashing. Fleet crashing was the fastest way to get resources and also the largest kind of fight and when one or two powers became too dominant it was so rare people quit from the tedium. Even people who went the route of endless mine upgrading never had a chance. They had endless resources but the maximum ship speed with the highest level buildings was so slow they couldn't fleet up fast enough before getting fleet crashed by established powers with large existing warfleets. That's the same problem titan producing currently has and it was created identically. Seriously. You built jumpgates on moons and had staging systems in each galaxy and using good force projection you could deploy anywhere to get a good fleet crash.
Heh, OGame.

I remember the biggest problem being, finding a fleet big enough to make it worth the cost in fuel, but small enough to guarantee a victory. Just raiding planets was not nearly as profitable, even in multiple waves. It was nice that returning fleets did not show up on scans, and moons could not be scanned so you could always keep your fleet safe by traveling from moon to moon (IIRC). Wasted way too many months on that stuff.

MoLAoS

I dropped a ton of money once after being seduced by massive savings. Then I got steamrolled by 20 guys in an organized alliance. It was a 4x speed server and I went to sleep for a lousy 4 hours. I quit and that account might still have like 75$ worth of dark matter on it, hehe. After that I never bought a bulk deal again. Too uncertain. OGame is in some ways what EVE pretends to be. You can literally lose ALL your shit. Every ship is like a Titan, too, no docking in a safe station. On the other hand its also super pay to win, takes a ridiculous time commitment to be a top player and has a lot of dull game mechanics. SpaceFed was probably the first space empire browser game I played and out of dozens of others I liked it the best aside from Warring Factions. Its far superior to OGame and the universe ends for a good reason and not just because everyone gets bored.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Beating the Goon's isn't about winning, its about clearing out a cancer that is making null stagnate more than necessarily implied by the poor sov mechanics.

"Killing them goons will unshit my game." Until the next evil blob empire will take over and turboautists start complaining about not having any friends on the Dex again.

And so the cycle of walls of texts on crappy things noone cares about continues.

MoLAoS

Beating the Goon's isn't about winning, its about clearing out a cancer that is making null stagnate more than necessarily implied by the poor sov mechanics.

"Killing them goons will unshit my game." Until the next evil blob empire will take over and turboautists start complaining about not having any friends on the Dex again.

And so the cycle of walls of texts on crappy things noone cares about continues.

Once the Goons are down the people who killed them will still exist. Do you have a reading problem? Anyone else who tries to copy them would meet the same fate.

But keep blathering on with your ableism if you must. It makes you look so sophisticated. Do you get a dollar every time you call someone a derogatory term related to autistic spectrum disorders? Considering my Goon trashing got me permabanned from RPG.net I guess losing an IQ point every time you post is a small price to pay.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

Once the Goons are down the people who killed them will still exist. Do you have a reading problem? Anyone else who tries to copy them would meet the same fate.

Once the goons are down the next blob will form and people will cry about them, because that is inevitable given the current game mechanic.
Was that really so hard to comprehend?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anyone care to explain what 'blobbing' is? I take it Goons are a EQ guild/corporation.

Blobbing is when an organization piles dozens, hundreds, or even thousands (it's a somewhat relative term) of individual starships together with the aim of achieving victory (and importantly, minimizing risk of loss) largely through sheer force of numbers. Hence, it's a big formless blob of ships.

You know how in real life, twenty-five fatass police officers will all pile on one scrawny dude and whale away with their batons? Same thing, in essence.

BrickManslab

Educated
Once the goons are down the next blob will form and people will cry about them, because that is inevitable given the current game mechanic.
Was that really so hard to comprehend?

No no, don't you see, once these honourable saviors of EVE crush the largest coalition in the game with their deep-cover black-ops titans, every other coalition will cheer and self-balkanize and the small-gang frigate fights will flow like honey

MoLAoS

It has nothing to do with honor. You Goon lovers and Goon drones really love to play up the anti e-honor angle. Who cares about e-honor? Its about gameplay. Blobbing is anti-fiun.

MoLAoS

Any news on the political aftermath of this event?

In what way? N3 is toast and ditching Immensea. Half their renters are moving and half are out in the cold. CFC/RUS hasn't decided who will hold renting rights to the new space. Goons are one step closer to absolute nullsec dominion. Still a couple years away though.

BrickManslab

Educated
It has nothing to do with honor. You Goon lovers and Goon drones really love to play up the anti e-honor angle. Who cares about e-honor? Its about gameplay. Blobbing is anti-fiun.

I like how you again dodged addressing how fucking dumb your idea is by getting all puffed up about the use of the word honor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom