Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ITZ HAPPENING in EVE Online

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
We still haven't heard about an actual plan to beat the Goons.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Are Goons impervious to sabotage and corruption, or all of the other factions turning against them?

I don't play the game, but I don't understand how a faction can get this strong without people uniting against them, or using asymmetric/unconventional tactics to at the very least hurt them?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Are Goons impervious to sabotage and corruption, or all of the other factions turning against them?

I don't play the game, but I don't understand how a faction can get this strong without people uniting against them, or using asymmetric/unconventional tactics to at the very least hurt them?
As far as I understand as an occasional observer, it's simply because Goons are too big to be beaten.

In what way? N3 is toast and ditching Immensea. Half their renters are moving and half are out in the cold. CFC/RUS hasn't decided who will hold renting rights to the new space. Goons are one step closer to absolute nullsec dominion. Still a couple years away though.

You know, there's one guaranteed way of utterly nullifying Goon influence.

Let them conquer EVERYTHING until they're the only major corp left. Everyone join Goons and make their corporations into subfactions within it. There's no practical difference between a gamestate where everyone is a member of the one all-powerful faction (with sub-factions vying for internal dominance), and one where that faction doesn't exist.

MoLAoS

It has nothing to do with honor. You Goon lovers and Goon drones really love to play up the anti e-honor angle. Who cares about e-honor? Its about gameplay. Blobbing is anti-fiun.

I like how you again dodged addressing how fucking dumb your idea is by getting all puffed up about the use of the word honor.

Its not dumb. Certainly only a small number of people are capable of it, sorry you can't imagine anyone who doesn't want to ruin an MMO the way Goons have.

MoLAoS

As far as I understand as an occasional observer, it's simply because Goons are too big to be beaten.

The previous rulers of nullsec were beaten because a director disbanded their entire alliance among other things which caused their morale to collapse. Coalitions/alliances these days don't have a single point of failure like that. They were never actually dominated militarily, and even so they were weaker relative to Goons in the current day. Its incredibly unlikely that any group formed of current EVE players or communities which are involved in EVE would be able to generate the organization and fleets necessary to defeat Goons. Especially given Goons relatively massive reserves of resources. N3 is basically toast, even if PL hadn't ditched them.

BrickManslab

Educated

Goons took a big hit due to internal drama causing their bills to go unpaid and then losing all their space a couple years ago, though that's long been recovered from. They were actually losing the war against TEST/N3/PL over the Fountain region because they couldn't match their numbers (among other reasons) and, shifted to punting timers, fighting in timezones where they had the advantage, and waiting for TEST to run out of money. And then the current war was pretty much a stalemate with the russians and cfc getting mauled pretty badly in a recent engagement, it's just they won the battle that started this thread which blew literally everything before it away in terms of lost material and they trapped a ton of PL ships as well.

Basically, their nerd spymaster became their leader so they're set up to be pretty well insulated against spies and individual high-level members going rogue. Also, they treat the non-goon members well and they've been together for a long time with the largest of them (which is kinda funny because they're mostly pretty shitty) but the myth of goon invulnerability is something bandied about by goons themselves and the people they've beaten so they don't have to face they lost.

As far as asymmetric/unconventional tactics, due to the sov mechanics being the way they are when it comes to big wars for territory there aren't a lot of options. Mainly they involve letting the opposing team win certain timers, so that the NEXT timer goes off when it'd be heinous for the majority of their members to show up for a fight. People are willing to stay up till 5:00am to shoot spaceships once or twice but that shit gets real old real quick.

Its not dumb. Certainly only a small number of people are capable of it, sorry you can't imagine anyone who doesn't want to ruin an MMO the way Goons have.

Oooooh, you're just some guy who reads about EVE on the internet. Good luck with your revenge fantasy.

Whiran

Magister
The previous rulers of nullsec were beaten because a director disbanded their entire alliance among other things which caused their morale to collapse. Coalitions/alliances these days don't have a single point of failure like that. They were never actually dominated militarily, and even so they were weaker relative to Goons in the current day. Its incredibly unlikely that any group formed of current EVE players or communities which are involved in EVE would be able to generate the organization and fleets necessary to defeat Goons. Especially given Goons relatively massive reserves of resources. N3 is basically toast, even if PL hadn't ditched them.
I, for one, would love to learn more about this plan to destroy the Goons!

Please, if it isn't too much of a reveal for yourself (I agree with you, you need to keep yourself secret and safe in this so don't reveal TOO much) could you provide some more details?

Has the plan started? Has this large influx of players gone to EVE already? Or, will they be joining in small numbers over a period of time to mask their approach?

I'm told that the Goons watch every newbie starting zone just in case something like this happens so I expect you have a plan to counter it right?

MoLAoS

I, for one, would love to learn more about this plan to destroy the Goons!

Please, if it isn't too much of a reveal for yourself (I agree with you, you need to keep yourself secret and safe in this so don't reveal TOO much) could you provide some more details?

Has the plan started? Has this large influx of players gone to EVE already? Or, will they be joining in small numbers over a period of time to mask their approach?

I'm told that the Goons watch every newbie starting zone just in case something like this happens so I expect you have a plan to counter it right?

Given that you only have one message, couldn't YOU be a member of Goon counterintelligence? Everyone else has mostly made fun of me, so a random new poster taking me seriously would imply that it was someone taking preventative measures just in case I could be serious. I mean, how would you even have heard my posts in some random thread on the Codex?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't play this game, I've never run into the Goons but I'm familiar with the strategy.

Even if the organization called the Goons is defeated or pacified it won't "make the game better". Somebody else will move in and do the same shit.

That doesn't mean it can't be entertaining to sow the seeds of chaos in an online game and bathe in the tears and butthurt caused by the drama, but it really is a lot of work and I personally don't care to put hundreds/thousands of hours of effort into crushing the will to live of a few basement dwellers in an online game.

Besides, there is free to play drama to be had in forums.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It has nothing to do with honor. You Goon lovers and Goon drones really love to play up the anti e-honor angle. Who cares about e-honor? Its about gameplay. Blobbing is anti-fiun.

I like how you again dodged addressing how fucking dumb your idea is by getting all puffed up about the use of the word honor.
He wants to show us his honor.
honor.jpg

Ebonsword

Arcane
They actually had a segment about this battle on National Public Radio this morning.

Not sure if that's :incline: or :decline:?

Whiran

Magister
Given that you only have one message, couldn't YOU be a member of Goon counterintelligence? Everyone else has mostly made fun of me, so a random new poster taking me seriously would imply that it was someone taking preventative measures just in case I could be serious. I mean, how would you even have heard my posts in some random thread on the Codex?
I'm a long time lurker of the codex and your posts about EVE got me to finally make an account. My apologies for that.

I've played EVE Online for years and have seen first hand what the Goons have done. I'm with you on this.

Or, it could be as you are suspicious of: I could be a Goon agent who received an alert via one of the ops jabber rooms and volunteered to go to the codex and find out exactly what was being written and planned. It could be that we have people within... I mean, it could be that there are people in Goons who worked with certain organizations and might monitor the Internets for keywords and phrases.

Either way, please, elaborate on your plans. These thousands of new players sound like they will be coming in with a vengeance!

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They actually had a segment about this battle on National Public Radio this morning.

Not sure if that's :incline: or :decline:?

Eve routinely makes the MSM.

I'm not sure if you consider this a good thing or bad thing. MSM is full of retards.

If you don't like the way a game is being played, don't play it. That's about as simple as it can get. If that means you don't like any games out there, then do something else or play single player shit. I don't consider blobbing that compelling of a playstyle, but the entertainment value comes not from the game play, but from the butthurt generated by playing that way.

Fuck honor and all that other shit, if you aren't having fun, then why are you playing the game to begin with?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The starships look pretty, but the battle itself is shit. Just two blobs of starships hovering next to each other and spitting beams of death. The devs would do well to devise reasons for them to stay in motion.

MoLAoS

They do. Moving fast or in certain directions lowers damage. Of course once you get to supers and titans you are so chubby it likely won't help.

Have you watched the NEOII? It was on over the weekend. Tons of moving around and chasing.

MoLAoS

They do. Moving fast or in certain directions lowers damage. Of course once you get to supers and titans you are so chubby it likely won't help.

So that's a problem with supers and titans, then. As it is now, the battle is not aesthetically pleasing.

Well, frigates move around a lot and cruisers. Even BCs. But I'm not sure what you mean by aesthetically pleasing. Neither ships nor subs tend to move a lot on Earth either. At least in large groups. Drones tend to move a lot, if that helps.

Given the speeds that ships travel at in EVE, moving won't let them avoid weapons fire since the lasers and missiles and shit are all much faster than ships. Do you want weapons fire to be affected by friendly ships? That might add more formation and positioning based gameplay.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
But I'm not sure what you mean by aesthetically pleasing.

This, more or less:

BattleOfVirginiaCapes.jpg

Given the speeds that ships travel at in EVE, moving won't let them avoid weapons fire since the lasers and missiles and shit are all much faster than ships. Do you want weapons fire to be affected by friendly ships? That might add more formation and positioning based gameplay.

Not quite sure what would be the best practical solution. Avoiding lasers and missiles would indeed be unrealistic. But some kind incentive to keep moving would be welcome. Battle objectives other than "wipe out the enemy fleet"? "Winds" that keep pushing ships onward? Very precisely defined vulnerable areas on ships (so you not only have to hit the ship, you have to hit it where it's vulnerable)? Dunno, really.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
But I'm not sure what you mean by aesthetically pleasing.

This, more or less:

BattleOfVirginiaCapes.jpg

Not quite sure what would be the best practical solution. Avoiding lasers and missiles would indeed be unrealistic. But some kind incentive to keep moving would be welcome. Battle objectives other than "wipe out the enemy fleet"? "Winds" that keep pushing ships onward? Very precisely defined vulnerable areas on ships (so you not only have to hit the ship, you have to hit it where it's vulnerable)? Dunno, really.
Shield directional arcs/facings a la Star Trek Online would be helpful IMO. I guess you'd also need to limit weapons to targeting arcs as well. Just ignore the rest of STO's combat (cooldowns galore ugh)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom