Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've never played any Half Life games

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xen is awesomely alien and cool change of pace. No amount of shitty platforming will change that, especially after you have already handled Residue Processing - the actual spurious derpy platforming section of the game.

Without Xen HL would be just another FPS exclusively about shooting enemies in rooms full of crates.
punch.jpg

Jumping puzzles in first person suck a dick and Xen is a bunch of floating islands. Fuck that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Xen is awesomely alien and cool change of pace. No amount of shitty platforming will change that, especially after you have already handled Residue Processing - the actual spurious derpy platforming section of the game.

Without Xen HL would be just another FPS exclusively about shooting enemies in rooms full of crates.
View attachment 1875
Jumping puzzles in first person suck a dick and Xen is a bunch of floating islands. Fuck that.
The jumping puzzles weren't even the worst but that spider boss is so boring to fight. How about maiking a boss where the only vulnerable spot is the sack but have three stages and eat rockets like candy, it wasn't difficult but just terrible boring.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only half-life game worth playing is Bloodlines. The rest are shooters and automatically disqualified.

And this moment when Barney gives you a crowbar praising GOOD OLD DAYZ is just like the game needed to remind you of being HL1 sequel coz it really doesn't feel like it is... Pathetic.

Jesus christ, I forgot how much I hated that moment. It's on the level of making a "the cake is a lie" joke, 6 years after the fact.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's difficult to necessarilly recommend them these days because there's so much water under the bridge with regards to the development of first-person shooters over the last 15 years that playing the original Half-Life will not feel like the revelation it was in 1998. I remember firing it up on my trusty old Pentium MMX and being completely blown away by the level of immersion they'd managed to achieve and the world-building (the gameplay was very good too). The last few levels of the game were disappointing but everything up to that point was mind-blowing. I'm still hard pressed to think of any game level (from any genre) that I recall quite so fondly as "Surface Tension" in Half Life - non-stop balls-to-the-wall action and a pumping sound track - it defintitely gets the adrenaline flowing.

HL2 holds up a lot better today in a graphical sense but is basically a linear corridor shooter with decent physics and lip-synching tech thrown in. What I like about it is the way in which it tells the story via on screen-action rather than cutscenes or the patented Bioshock "everyone in the city leaves every thought of importance lying around on a tape recorder for you to pick up and listen to" approach to "storytelling". You could argue that Alyx walking around and info-dumping on you is a first-person cutscene but it's positively seemless compared to the approach most other games seem to take.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
As everyone already said - HL1 should be a must. Playing it, you will also recognize some Counter-Strike sounds.
HL2 is worth it. Some parts are boring, but there are also some very good parts and gravity gun.

EDIT: oh yeah - try HL multiplayer and get pwned by some seriously fucked up motherfuckers. Cannot have this level of skill in cs.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
Don't forget the mods! That HL1 mod where you played the Xen alien and zapped stuff with lightning was pretty fun. They Hunger was also pretty enjoyable if you like t3h zombies. Might extend the replay value if you like the base game enough.

Stonewolf

Augur
Half Life is a definition of 10/10 game and that's alll, nothing more to add.

So-called 'Half Life 2' has literally NOTHING common with its predecessor. HL1 was an excellent mix of all these conspiracy theories like 'bad goverment is hiding truth about Roswell', X-Files, top secret experiments etc. you know what I mean. Now u lead some rebellion to the victory over some bad aliens and every NPC you met goes with retarded talk like 'You... YOU ARE GORDON FUCKIN FREEMAN, A FUKKING LEGGEND, I READ ABOUT YA I MY SCHOOLBOOK AND I LOVE YA blablahblah TAKE THIS ROCKET LAUNCHER AND GO SHOOTTIN SOME BANSHEEZ' or 'OH NO WERE IN TROUBLE BUT HERE'S GORDON FUKKIN FREEMAN IN DA FLESH BRING US TO THE SLAUGHTER PLS WE'LL DO ANYTHING YA WANT KOZ WERE YOUR SHEEPZ'.

And this moment when Barney gives you a crowbar praising GOOD OLD DAYZ is just like the game needed to remind you of being HL1 sequel coz it really doesn't feel like it is... Pathetic.

Shooting is mediocre, Alyx is annnoying, weapons are generic, AI is dumb, vehicle parts are boring, plot is a joke etc. what a waste of Source engine for this mediocrity. It's not Unreal 2 bad or smt but still one of the most disappointing and overrated games ever.

:hmmm:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Overrated shit series, the first was quite mediocre overall the second is a fucking disgrace, the only must about Half Life 1 is the fuckaton of mods.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Counterstrike was the best competitive fps mp game ever created.

pre steam was prolly where it was at. so cs 1.5

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Half-Life was pretty decent, until the alien world shit. I quit the game at that point because it went full retard, imo. Team Fortress Classic was the best part of Half Life, and it wasn't made by Valve. :rpgcodex:

Amn Nom

Learned
The first is the only one I would say is a 'must play'. The expansions by Gearbox are nice so you could check those out too. I wouldn't even bother with the sequel because it has terrible gunplay and stupid enemy AI, plus those god awful driving sections.

Divinity: Original Sin
Hl 1 and 2 brought lots of new ideas to the FPS genre. They were pioneers in things that are common place now. That's their one redeeming quality, but it means they didn't age well, because everything they did lots of games copied a lot. I imagine anyone who never played them wouldn't be impressed by anything in it.

Play portal 1 and 2, they're set in HL universe. They are puzzle FPS games that are not very hard at all.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Hl 1 and 2 brought lots of new ideas to the FPS genre. They were pioneers in things that are common place now. That's their one redeeming quality, but it means they didn't age well, because everything they did lots of games copied a lot. I imagine anyone who never played them wouldn't be impressed by anything in it.

Play portal 1 and 2, they're set in HL universe. They are puzzle FPS games that are not very hard at all.
Like?

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Played HL1 so long ago I can barely remember it, but I vaguely recall thinking it was ok, not trash anyway. As for HL2 I didn't even finish the escape from the city part, due to all the tedious vehicle bits, physics puzzles are a bit meh as well, like a gimmick to show off the physics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom