Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 Using Silent Storm Engine

Discussion in 'TCancer News & Content Comments' started by Jason, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Click here and disable ads!
    <strong>[ Update ]</strong>

<p>Russian magazine Game World Navigator managed to interrogate <a href="http://www.f3games.com/" target="_blank" title="F3">F3 Games</a> about some of the details of <strong>Jagged Alliance 3</strong>, the JA2 sequel <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16442" target="_blank">recently revealed</a> to be in the works by F3, Akella, and Strategy First. The interview is print only and in Russian, but Snap at <a href="http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000201" target="_blank" title="Bear's Pit">The Bear's Pit</a> was nice enough to gather the important points, such as the fact that JA3 uses a modified <a href="http://www.nival.com/silentstorm/" target="_blank" title="SS">Silent Storm</a> engine.</p> <ul><li>Game is published by Akella and developed by F3 - a fairly new team, but composed of veterans from other developers (several from Nival).</li><li>The game is built on a modified Silent Storm engine with updated graphics, improved physics, FX, and damage model.</li><li>There will be no more militia training and sector defense, because players supposedly don't like micro-management. The focus will be shifted towards combat and away from economics. As for strategy, the focus will be on missions, rather than on conquering territory.</li><li>The player can command only one squad of up to 6 (maybe 8) mercs.</li><li>Inventory handling will be simplified, particularly with respect to ammo. [In SS they used a backpack model with no item stacking.]</li><li>The player's avatar will be generated without the personality quiz.</li><li>Combat mechanics, RPG system, merc hiring, weapon repair, healing, etc. are all transplanted from JA2 with little or no change...</li><li>...except for the turn system: instead of having alternating turns for different teams, the order will be determined by character initiative. This system is said to be more conductive for multiplayer [although, AFAIK, multiplayer is not planned for this game].</li><li>There will be night and day, plus weather effects, which can be seen on the strategic map.</li><li>The team can move around the global world on foot or on wheels. However, on the tactical map vehicles are stationary. They can be used to store stuff, and some can shoot as well.</li><li>Key locations are designed, but "random encounters" will be randomized. [I am not sure just how much freedom of movement the player will have on the global map.]</li><li>There will be 40 mercs (12 of them new), plus 40 NPCs.</li><li>Plot: the president-for-life in a banana republic is fighting local insurgency, while a neighboring country opened a second front in a bid to annex some territory. Meanwhile, an international corporation is conducting some sinister experiments in the country.</li><li>You can play for one of 4 factions, each with its unique bonuses. In addition, there will be a 5th, non-playable faction - something having to do with a sci-fi subplot (which, as in JA2, can be turned on or off in the options).</li><li>Income will come mainly from your employer (whoever it may be). You can also sell stuff to merchants... if you can find them.</li><li>Merc relations will be modeled after JA2. Opposing factions will routinely hire mercs from AIM (remember Mike?...)</li><li>There will be 20 key objectives given by your employer, plus, as in JA2, optional side quests obtained from NPCs. Missions are non-linear: more like JA2 missions (e.g. taking control of SAMs or liberating Tixa) than like in Silent Storm.</li><li>Weapons will be reworked, with many JA2 weapons dropped and some new ones added - both well-known and experimental. Weapon specs will be adjusted to emphasize differences between different models. More different ammo types will be added. There will be more different armour, with heavier armour impeding movement. No more mortars. There will be anti-materiel rifles (12.7mm) and stationary heavy MGs.</li><li>Initial load-out will be more generous than in JA2.</li><li>No more cats. No bugs either.</li><li>No information on release date.</li></ul> <p>The <a href="http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000201" target="_blank" title="Bear's Pit">post</a> also includes several prototype screenshots. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/forums/ultimatebb.php">Bear's Pit</a></p>
    ^ Top  
  2. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    ZOMG! Modern day wargame with SS-engine is what I've had on my xmas-list for santa the last few years.
    ^ Top  
  3. puppyonastik Liturgist

puppyonastik
    Very excited to hear it's being made on the Silent Storm engine, however the idea of no sector defence and militia is very depressing. With out those features It'll just feel like an SS clone rather than a JA sequel. Hopefully the devs and strategy first change their minds or at least give us the ability to mod such things in.
    ^ Top  
  4. FrancoTAU Liturgist

FrancoTAU
    Wow, that's awesome news. I still don't know how it'll turn out, but this gives me more faith in the game being good.
    ^ Top  
  5. Balor Prophet

Balor
    Hmm, mixed bag. Still 7,62 has priority over it.
    ^ Top  
  6. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    Awesome indeed. Just so long as they don't implement any stupid Panzerkliens and this has a high chance of being good.
    ^ Top  
  7. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    Mmm, Panzerkleins would suck ass. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "scifi-option"-facton turns out to be some kind of guys sporting shiny mechas... but as long as they make it optional..
    ^ Top  
  8. k_bits Scholar

k_bits
    All good except sector defense and militia training being cut.
    ^ Top  
  9. LCJr. Erudite

LCJr.
    I still have faith Akella will completely screw the whole thing up. Looks like they're off to a good start by neutering the strategic layer.
    ^ Top  
  10. Llyranor Liturgist

Llyranor
    Well, better news than previously.

Without Sirtech, though, doubtful they'll be able to retain JA2's humor.
    ^ Top  
  11. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    SFI-Richard (edited) just posted an incredibly eloquent and coherent response (compared to other developers/PR-guys) in the linked thread. It's well worth checking out:

^ Top  
  12. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    If Richard Therrien was a superhero, his name would be "Damage Control" and his costume would include a hardhat in some way.
    ^ Top  
  13. LCJr. Erudite

LCJr.
    And it's Strategy First-Richard not SirTech.

I'm with baby arm, Damage Controlman to the rescue. Seems he was saying everything was hunky dory in JA-land right up until they pulled the plug on the first batch of commies.
    ^ Top  
  14. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    Featuring a semi-conscious flame-proof body suit:

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  15. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    That is wonderful. You need to post it at The Bear's Pit or SFI Forums or in my dreams or something.
    ^ Top  
  16. Greenskin13 Erudite

Greenskin13
    I'm liking this idea that opposing factions will be hiring from AIM as well. I wonder if Ivan will ever turn his gun on Igor....

We definitely should kick that picture up to Richard. I wonder if he'd be honored or insulted.
    ^ Top  
  17. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    Sorry I couldn't resist one more:

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  18. LCJr. Erudite

LCJr.
    ^ Top  
  19. The_scorpion Liturgist

The_scorpion
    main problem i see is some 6-8 mercs at a time...

i hope i got that wrong and you can only command 8 guys in tactical but having others hired to do other thigs elsewhere.

sad thing about sequels is you never get enough info to really know enough...
    ^ Top  
  20. Autistic Vishnu Arcane

Autistic Vishnu
    That's not good. It's one of the things that made JA2 special.
    This is an improvement.
    I don't like random encounters. Purely random stuff always leeches some of the life out of games (like roguelikes, Final Fantasy and pure sandbox games). You won't be able to "search-and-destroy" roving bands of soldiers. [edit] Just read that bit about the game "sort of not being random".

Overall, my excitement for the game has grown tenfold having learned that Mist Land is no longer the one developing the game.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)