Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Online - released, lol!

How do you like the JAO trailer

• Nice. Has me intrigued...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nice idea but cheaply done. Ok, I guess.

• They get a pity vote at least...but I still like the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Telengard

Arcane
Impressions (i havent read anything.. maybe some of these are wrong):

1. Auto fire can only hit one enemy - Confrmed in chat.
2. Shooting in general has no random element to it that permits it to hit something else, other than the thing you aimed at
3. Walls blocking objectives that you must destroy with bullets (and miss point blank)
4. Objectives that look like any other objective but then unexpectedly spawn enemies when touched leading to cheap 'deaths' (aka ways to get you to blow cash on medpacks)
5. No weapon customization. No scopes, silencers or any attachments in general. at least from what i can tell so far
6. Rape of Ja universe
7. Braindead ai. Worse than Ja2
8. Tiny maps with A - B linear approaches
9. No going prone. Only ducking
10. You cant see over cars. They block vision like a wall lol!
11. Incredibly retarded character customization. Worse than many D&D CRPG's. You are going to pick the same stats pretty much every time. It's the equivalent of always picking strength for a fighter and putting intelligence as low as possible in D&D (and you have to pay to level up lol!)
12. Cryptic as fuck gear stats (Interrupt bonus? Wtf is interrupt bonus? Does it cause me to interrupt more? Does it negate interrupts? Is a big or low number better? The redshirt description says it makes you stick out and that only the brave would wear it.. is this fluff? Does it have a mechanical effect?)
13. I'm getting tired of writing. There is more
14. Forced single player before being able to play multi) and i can honestly imagine it being pretty fun, if just because there is no other f2p tactics game out there with a large community. Maybe, just maybe if you can ignore the jagged alliance part and just enjoy it for what it is, the multi may be pretty cool. I'll report back when i get there.
Bonus Complaint: Apologist retard community claiming that 'this is what the new XCOM should have been!' despite this being literally the same fucking thing.. an extremely dumbed down modern version of an amazing game. Only this has a much smaller budget
1. True
2. True
3. True, though unless they've changed things since beta you're supposed to shoot the exploding gas cans instead, "conveniently" placed to open specific walls
4. True
5. True
6. True
7. True
8. Occasionally there is a C option
9. True
10. True
11. True
12. Agreed

I was in the beta. Your impressions are perfectly accurate.

The entire abomination is structured as an MMO, not a tactical game. Real life weapon and armor counterparts mean nothing. Weapons and armor have a fixed stat by tier. Everything in a given tier is effectively the same. The tier you have unlocked is the sole import. That mixed with level are the only deciding factors in combat. In MMO structure, 7 levels above you means you will barely scratch. 8 levels above means you cannot win.

Of course, you can spend real money to "upgrade" your equipment and people, giving you a huge edge.

Chest high walls.

The retarded leveling system means unlocked mercs are useless. You are better off sticking with the ones you hired at the beginning.

I would say the community are dumb as bricks, but at least bricks can serve a useful purpose.

DakaSha

Arcane
I've been playing it the past two days...it certainly isn't like the original JA, but it's more entertaining than XCOM or BiA. The multiplayer has been fixed a bit for the whole matchmaking thing, so you won't run into the sole level 50s at like level 20.

You also wont be able to buy any special ammo and your only way to get it is by single player mission drops. have fun

butchy

Prospernaut
The guys who were contracted to make it bought the rights for it and now offer it as a B2P. I actually missed the first release when it was f2p/p2w, but I did play and love Shadowrun Chronicles, Boston Lockdown, which I actually liked more then the SRR games.

I haven't put much time into but there is some base building, and I'm enjoying the combat. The combat won't blow your mind, and seems like it was made to be faster and "more streamlined" than JA 2, but it gets the job done without being too bland or changed to an awful, click and watch RTwP system. I think it is worth the $8 it is selling for on steam.

I'm putting this in general rpg because it pretty much seems like a single player game. I guess the end game has groups and pvp but it takes 60 hours to get there and if you have that long of an attention span, then fuck you.

link- click your fucking steam icon and then click rpg or online game and bam, there it is. You're welcome.

M0RBUS

Augur
I saw the release today on steam and I felt complete to check the codex for guidance.

It is now on my wishlist, but I can't dedicate time to it in the near future. Too much good stuff to play, but I'll definitely check it out again in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom