Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Japan used to rule video games, so what happened?"

No, that is precisely an attempt at apologism, for "hidden" complexity is a vague term that doesn't mean anything. Quake has many "hidden" complexities compared to System Shock. This doesn't mean System Shock isn't the superior game. Again, it is a relativist bullshit argument. "Complexity is what i say it is". No, fuck you. Doesn't work that way.

Nah, it's not really relativist to suggest that pieces with significant categorical differences defy comparison. Two informed critics could easily find, say, Quake 3 and System Shock 2 to be objectively good titles, but be at a loss as to which comes up superior. The multiplayer shooter with a sky-high skill ceiling that focuses on map/pickup-control and good movement fundamentals? Or the single-player shooter focused on atmosphere and resource-management?

Two extremely disparate experiences. It simply seems pointless to rank one over the other. I suppose I lack the requisite strain of the 'tism that motivates one to engage in such pissing contests, tho.

I'm fine with a great many of the objective truths of aesthetics to be contingent ones. Most of the advantages of normative aesthetics, but far easier to defend against relativist snark.

the only Japanese games that rival western games are derivative of western games in the first place.

I'd disagree entirely. Many of the best Japanese games come from their own homegrown, mechanical genealogies (fighting games, platformers, technical action games, beat 'em ups, space shooters, etc).

And even many of the derivative games have "one-upped" the West...hard. Japan jumping into the action-RPG scrum full-on have made a mockery of Western devs in the past 3-6 years. The Nips made the definition of popamole mechanics into good games like Vanquish or Binary Domain. One can only wonder what would happen if the actually tried at making a RTS, FPS, or any other sort of genre almost exclusively dominated by the West.

To be clear, however, I don't think all of Japanese success is necessarily because the Japs are superior to silly gaijjn or whatnot. I'd say their strongest advantage is that the BIGCORPORATE model that dominates the Western vidya game industry and its thinking is not as strong there and has usually led to massive failure (look at Square Enix flopping about or Capcom's terrible interactions with trying to "Westernize"/focus-group certain series).

I don't think it's a coincidence that small/medium companies tend to punch above their weight when it comes to making outstanding titles. Creativity isn't snuffed out by SCALE!, budgets are more reasonable (no tentpole bullshit), competition encourages devs to sell product on merit rather than advertising, less corruption in journos (more companies means "access journalism" doesn't become a thing; one publisher doesn't gate access to large swathes of content/stories).

I.E., the Japanese counterpart to Wizardry are.. Wizardry clones!

You mean actual Wizardry titles and a plethora of blobbers that have diverged strongly from the traditional Wizardry formula?

Plus, one word has to be said about those Cave and Treasure games. First of all, this is a case of difficulty for its own sake, which isn't necessarily as impressive as it seems. Two, playing those type of games is mostly a mechanical process. You play them until your brain and your fingers memorize every single little detail, but no actual thought process is truly necessary. There is nothing to learn, nothing to deduce, plan or discover. And no possibility of creative gameplay. You just need a lot of finesse, good reflexes and an autistic level of patience.

Yeah, Ikaruga (and other space shooters/SHMUPS) probably isn't the best ground to stand on. The appeal of the genre pretty much lies in design minimalism, sparsity of mechanics, and emphasis on reflexive play. But even in the subgenre, there's still far more than rote muscle-memorization. Good players learn all of the nuances of the mechanics and how to better apply them. Like every SHMUP neophyte learning to use bombs (or equivalent consumables) as panic buttons instead of wasting them. Even dodging schemes reward pattern recognition skills, allowing players with strong fundamentals to quickly make reads on fresh games. Hand a new game to a great SHMUP player (i.e. not me) and they'll be well on their way to one-crediting it before an average player can even clear certain sections.

Simply put, there's still plenty of room to learn, plan, deduce, and such even in "simpler", more minimalistic games. Now let's discuss something like Devil May Cry 4. Or the meta of any good fighting game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nah, it's not really relativist to suggest that pieces with significant categorical differences defy comparison. Two informed critics could easily find, say, Quake 3 and System Shock 2 to be objectively good titles, but be at a loss as to which comes up superior. The multiplayer shooter with a sky-high skill ceiling that focuses on map/pickup-control and good movement fundamentals? Or the single-player shooter focused on atmosphere and resource-management?

As always, the problem is that you people simply cannot into logic. The argument is relativistic because it presupposes that there is no intrinsic value to the notion of "complexity" or anything else for that matter, which means no objective evaluation is possible. Its all about a matter of "subjective" opinions, apple and oranges dude!, and all that shit. To argue that Quake 3 is just as complex as System Shock 2, just in its own way!, is to render the entire concept of complexity meaningless. By that token, Candy Crush can be complex too. In its own way, of course.

Two extremely disparate experiences. It simply seems pointless to rank one over the other. I suppose I lack the requisite strain of the 'tism that motivates one to engage in such pissing contests, tho.

Its not that hard, really. System Shock 2 > Quake 3. Easy.

I'm fine with a great many of the objective truths of aesthetics to be contingent ones.

Which just means you don't believe in "the objective truths of aesthetics". I.E., you are a relativist, or want to be a relativist because objectivity is teh hard.

I'd disagree entirely. Many of the best Japanese games come from their own homegrown, mechanical genealogies (fighting games, platformers, technical action games, beat 'em ups, space shooters, etc).

Those aren't the games that "rival" western games. In terms of complexity, ambition or whatever, remember? The one scale that supposedly makes western gaming superior. Ho wait, those games are just as complex, but in their own way! Yes, yes, i get it.

And even many of the derivative games have "one-upped" the West...hard. Japan jumping into the action-RPG scrum full-on have made a mockery of Western devs in the past 3-6 years. The Nips made the definition of popamole mechanics into good games like Vanquish or Binary Domain.

Here comes the sophistic bullshit. The past 3-6 years isn't part of the argument. This doesn't even count as a good try, just all out sperging. Show where the Japanese have "one-upped" classic western games...hard!

One can only wonder what would happen if the actually tried at making a RTS, FPS, or any other sort of genre almost exclusively dominated by the West.

Your japophilia is showing. Japanese developers are better than western developers (trololo), if only they could make other type of games than their usual arcade shit!

To be clear, however, I don't think all of Japanese success is necessarily because the Japs are superior to silly gaijjn or whatnot.

No, you just like to imply that in your arguments.

i'd say their strongest advantage is that the BIGCORPORATE model that dominates the Western vidya game industry and its thinking is not as strong there and has usually led to massive failure (look at Square Enix flopping about or Capcom's terrible interactions with trying to "Westernize"/focus-group certain series).

No shit. Next you'll tell us the sky is blue.

You mean actual Wizardry titles and a plethora of blobbers that have diverged strongly from the traditional Wizardry formula?

Well, since we have already established that for you terms and definitions can mean whatever you want, i'm afraid to ask what this means, exactly.

Simply put, there's still plenty of room to learn, plan, deduce, and such even in "simpler", more minimalistic games. Now let's discuss something like Devil May Cry 4. Or the meta of any good fighting game.

No, you just redefined what "learn, plan and deduce" means. Again.

Now let's discuss something like Devil May Cry 4.

No thanks. I don't like the taste of semen in my mouth.

devil-may-cry-4-wallpaper-312.jpg

TedNugent

Arcane
As always, the problem is that you people simply cannot into logic. The argument is relativistic because it presupposes that there is no intrinsic value to the notion of "complexity" or anything else for that matter, which means no objective evaluation is possible. Its all about a matter of "subjective" opinions, apple and oranges dude!, and all that shit. To argue that Quake 3 is just as complex as System Shock 2, just in its own way!, is to render the entire concept of complexity meaningless. By that token, Candy Crush can be complex too. In its own way, of course.
Oh god, webforum philosophy.

Objective evaluation IS possible, if you agree on a common standard. Because individuals have different subjective preferences, although something may objectively be more complex than something else, that does not necessarily mean that it is objectively "better" than that thing. First you have to establish the standard that complexity = better, then you actually have to define the word complexity and set up a list of standard criteria by which you can evaluate Quake on the one hand and System Shock on the other.

This isn't fucking spacy bullshit, man, this is simple argumentation and categorization, like logic fucking 101. And I know because that's the only logic class I took in college. And I made an A, god damn it.

I'm fine with a great many of the objective truths of aesthetics to be contingent ones.

Which just means you don't believe in "the objective truths of aesthetics". I.E., you are a relativist, or want to be a relativist because objectivity is teh hard.
Okay, what the fuck is "aesthetics?" Define your term, set a list of criteria by which we can objectively sit here being a bunch of pedantic webturds and evaluate the two based on how successful they are in achieving those criteria.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Oh god, webforum philosophy.

Objective evaluation IS possible, if you agree on a common standard. Because individuals have different subjective preferences, although something may objectively be more complex than something else, that does not necessarily mean that it is objectively "better" than that thing. First you have to establish the standard that complexity = better, then you actually have to define the word complexity and set up a list of standard criteria by which you can evaluate Quake on the one hand and System Shock on the other.

This isn't fucking spacy bullshit, man, this is simple argumentation and categorization, like logic fucking 101. And I know because that's the only logic class I took in college. And I made an A, god damn it.

I'm not saying that everything is relative. But everything is relative.

Okay, what the fuck is "aesthetics?" Define your term, set a list of criteria by which we can objectively sit here being a bunch of pedantic webturds and evaluate the two based on how successful they are in achieving those criteria.

I can tell you what is shit aesthetics. And that is animu "art". One wonders how much of our hatred for Japanese games doesn't stem from this almost insurmountable obstacle.

TedNugent

Arcane
I'm tired of all these gay relativistic Japophiles in this motherfucking thread!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Stop making bullshit arguments and perhaps we might somewhere. This is Codex. Wanna argue "apple and oranges"? Go join some other gaming forum, where that shit is actually tolerated.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I can tell you what is shit aesthetics. And that is animu "art". One wonders how much of our hatred for Japanese games doesn't stem from this almost insurmountable obstacle.
Confirmed as a popamoler. Caring more about aesthetics than gameplay is the same as graphics whoring; "this game doesn't have pretty pictures so I'm not going to play it!!!" Broken Age has horrible visuals but that's not reason why I'm not going to play it, because it also sucks as an adventure game is why I'm not going to waste my time with it.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Animu art is a definite turn off, for me at least. And this is coming from a guy who watches animus every now and then. It generally doesn't add anything to the game except catering to the "kawaii" retarded crowd.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I dislike it too. I also find many early 80s games and ASCII roguelikes to have unappealing visuals. That doesn't keep me from playing those games though, as it's the actual content and mechanics that matter.
Aesthetics are not visuals ffs.
aesthetic
Line breaks: aes|thet¦ic
Pronunciation: /iːsˈθɛtɪk

, ɛs-/
(US also esthetic)
adjective
Concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty
noun
A set of principles underlying the work of a particular artist or artistic movement

Stating unappealing art style as a reason to avoid a game isn't any different from refusing to play a game because it has bad graphics, as in both cases it's about visuals rather than gameplay mechanics.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't see how your dictionary definition proves that aesthetics equal visuals, LS's knee jerk reaction to animu art direction notwithstanding.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow: You need to be autistic to think this is worth doing.
Lyric_Suite: Well, it comes very easily to me!

:salute:

Drax

Arcane
For those that think that Kurosawa is a kind of dinosaur, a more modern example could be Takeshi Kitano, who also plays with this mix of western/eastern forms and symbols.
Also, he kicks fucking ass.
Takeshi-Kitano.jpeg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bad visuals are one thing, atrociously offensive visuals is another. It would be like playing a game while being subjected constantly to goatse or meatspin. Yeah gameplay is king, but fuck you. All aspects of a game are important. Just because some elements are more important than others doesn't mean shit visuals, shit music and other things of the like can't be a detriment for the overall experience. More stupid fallacies from the king of fallacies.

Last edited:
As always, the problem is that you people simply cannot into logic. The argument is relativistic because it presupposes that there is no intrinsic value to the notion of "complexity" or anything else for that matter, which means no objective evaluation is possible.

No such presupposition is made. Intrinsic notions/definitions aren't necessarily denied, merely acknowledged as murky; not able to be fully apprehended by our limited human faculties. So, what every (non-crackpot) philosopher in the Western tradition has pretty much been on board with, from Plato onwards. Nobody, besides those who fancy themselves prophets/mystics (i.e. crackpots), believe they can rank everything and anything in some all-encompassing manner.

Its all about a matter of "subjective" opinions, apple and oranges dude!, and all that shit. To argue that Quake 3 is just as complex as System Shock 2, just in its own way!, is to render the entire concept of complexity meaningless.

Not really. Two works or two people can be great in extremely divergent ways, and defy ranking schemes, yet that doesn't render the idea of greatness meaningless. Do we really want, or need, to determine whether or not high sculpture is superior/inferior to the best classical composers? Pit Bergman against Brahms or Augustine against Tolstoy in a "WHICH IS BETTER AND WHY? DISCUSS!" pissing contest?

Realizing our epistemic limitations and abandoning attempts at "perfect objectivity" seems pretty reasonable to me.

By that token, Candy Crush can be complex too. In its own way, of course.

Only when categories/criteria are specified in the extreme. Candy Crush (confession: never played it, know very little about it, and assume it is a standout example of total drek from the context of its mention in your post) But this sort of thing only comes from unreasonable people running extreme relativist schtick, likely for trolling purposes. The correct way to navigate those types is to simply ignore them.

I laid a bit of a trap here, with SS2 and Quake 3.

I knew you would devalue a (highly) competitive multiplayer shooter while overvaluing a well-made, but very simplistic single-player shooter focused on atmosphere. While I like SS2, it's terribly lacking in a lot of ways. Poor hitboxes (those spiders), simplistic enemy design, level design that completely shits the bed after you leave the Von Braun, etc. The character-building elements don't really add a huge amount of depth and nothing in it particularly challenges the player all that much. Good game, but clearly doesn't stand head and shoulders over everything else in the broad genre of "shooter" or even broader category of "game".

Whereas Quake 3 has all of the depth that comes with a competitive, balanced metagame. Players have to learn proper use of all of their abilities, because opposing players are far more dangerous than a bunch of Pnky Demons and Imps, albeit with cool fluff. Map and powerup control are fundamental to winning matches and a lot of thought clearly went into some maps. Compare to SS2, where simple exploratory techniques are all that is required of the player to experience all the content and find all the stuffies&thingies.

So, yeah, a bit of an argumentative trap that shows that it isn't that easy to define what is better or more complex. I mean, you seem to have made a bit of a mistake, and you've got the power of Genius™ on your side.

Those aren't the games that "rival" western games. In terms of complexity, ambition or whatever, remember? The one scale that supposedly makes western gaming superior.

[...]

Here comes the sophistic bullshit. The past 3-6 years isn't part of the argument. This doesn't even count as a good try, just all out sperging. Show where the Japanese have "one-upped" classic western games...hard!

What's the point? You clearly cannot see value in an entire swath of games/mechanics and then justify your perspective with a lot of over-intellectualizing and epithets of "RELATIVIST!" when someone disagrees with you.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but I'm starting to not feel as though you're speaking with people in this thread, but speaking at them.

No, you just redefined what "learn, plan and deduce" means. Again.

No, I merely used the actual definition...not the one that merely applies only to games/mechaincs that you happen to like.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No such presupposition is made. Intrinsic notions/definitions aren't necessarily denied, merely acknowledged as murky; not able to be fully apprehended by our limited human faculties. So, what every (non-crackpot) philosopher in the Western tradition has pretty much been on board with, from Plato onwards. Nobody, besides those who fancy themselves prophets/mystics (i.e. crackpots), believe they can rank everything and anything in some all-encompassing manner.

What you call "crackpot" philosophers have always been the true philosophers, whether eastern or western. The "western tradition" (by which we mean from Descartes to present. Greek and Christian philosophers don't count, because their outlook was always grounded in either gnosis or theology) you speak of is where the true crackpots can be found, and i think the insanity of modern civilization reflects this. And while one may argue that this tradition begun with Aristotle, the fact of the matter is that Aristotle himself was not in fact a rationalist, not in the modern sense of the word (the Greek word for reason always carrying the double meaning of reason and intellect). In this sense, St. Thomas was far more Aristotelian than most western philosophers of their Renaissance and onward (despite their claim of the having restored true Hellenic philosophy, which in fact they have not).

As for Plato, his outlook was very much realist, and he did in fact rank everything in an all-encompassing manner, starting with the One (I.E., the Absolute). The fact he relied on a rationalistic language doesn't mean his philosophy didn't posses a more "mystical" (or intellectual rather) side to it. In fact, if anything his philosophy is actually an exploration of the limits of reason, with a view of opening up towards an higher form of knowledge when those limits are shown to be insurmountable. He exhausts all possibilities in a given argument until one is left with no option but to open himself to gnosis, or simply accept the fact rational philosophy is a waste of time and that "truth" can never be discovered. In my case, i usually like to start where Plato leaves off and leave those who desire a rationalistic explanation up to dry, to their ever ending chagrin (and my shameless amusement).

At any rate, your fallacy is to dictate that, since the "tao that can be named is not the real tao", I.E., that which is universal can not be expressed in particular terms (the mother of ten thousand things, I.E., relativity), one can never attain to the nature of said universals, under the rubric that there is no other way of attaining knowledge outside of strictly rational means. This may appear not be relativist in principle but is relativistic for all intended purposes. Any other method is automatically dismissed as some type of "mysticism" or another (mind you that gnosis has nothing to do with mysticism, the first being intellectual, the latter being sentimental).

Not really. Two works or two people can be great in extremely divergent ways, and defy ranking schemes, yet that doesn't render the idea of greatness meaningless. Do we really want, or need, to determine whether or not high sculpture is superior/inferior to the best classical composers? Pit Bergman against Brahms or Augustine against Tolstoy in a "WHICH IS BETTER AND WHY? DISCUSS!" pissing contest?

Realizing our epistemic limitations and abandoning attempts at "perfect objectivity" seems pretty reasonable to me.

It seems reasonable to you because you are a rationalist, precisely. You seem to be equating our "epistemic limitations" with an intellectual limitation plain and simple. But prey tell, by what means then do we even determine "greatness"? Beethoven and Britney Spears, which is better and why? Dickscuss! "Perfect objectivity" is a nonsensical expression anyway, for something is either objective or not. There are no degrees.

Now, and this is particularly pertinent to the present discussion, we can in fact rank even geniuses against one another according to the limitations of their art (imagine then videogames), relative that they may be in the scheme of human creativity and possibility for greatness. Thus, Dante is greater than Milton not because his genius was superior, but because medieval culture was superior to the culture of the Enlightenment. There is a meaning to the poetry of Dante the surface of which Milton doesn't even begin to scratch (by comparison, one of the things that make Shakespeare so great is that he was more of a man of the middle ages despite being raised in the world of the Renaissance). In fact, sacred art properly so called is superior to profane art whether it involves "talent" or not. A medieval icon is superior to a Renaissance painting by sheer fact that the icon is based on intellectual criteria first and foremost, as opposed to mere virtuosity. In this respect, the icon can still be superior even if the painter was not a genius, as long as he follows the principles of the form without deviation, where as profane art is essentially worthless BUT for genius. In fact, and this is something that profane people cannot wrap their head around, witness the disdain Renaissance artists had for medieval works, when the art form itself encapsulates the essence of transcendence there is no need of individual genius (albeit individual genius can always enrich the art). Thus, the form of the art actually influences the outcome regardless of the talents of a given artist. The proof of this is modern art, which not even genius was able to redeem.

Only when categories/criteria are specified in the extreme.

No, this is a completely arbitrary exception. You cannot argue that categories and criteria cannot be specified in principle and then back down when your intelligence tells you that this cannot possibly be the case given the absurdities that can arise from it, like the idea of Britney Spears being as "great" as Beethoven.

I laid a bit of a trap here, with SS2 and Quake 3.

I knew you would devalue a (highly) competitive multiplayer shooter while overvaluing a well-made, but very simplistic single-player shooter focused on atmosphere. While I like SS2, it's terribly lacking in a lot of ways. Poor hitboxes (those spiders), simplistic enemy design, level design that completely shits the bed after you leave the Von Braun, etc. The character-building elements don't really add a huge amount of depth and nothing in it particularly challenges the player all that much. Good game, but clearly doesn't stand head and shoulders over everything else in the broad genre of "shooter" or even broader category of "game".

Whereas Quake 3 has all of the depth that comes with a competitive, balanced metagame. Players have to learn proper use of all of their abilities, because opposing players are far more dangerous than a bunch of Pnky Demons and Imps, albeit with cool fluff. Map and powerup control are fundamental to winning matches and a lot of thought clearly went into some maps. Compare to SS2, where simple exploratory techniques are all that is required of the player to experience all the content and find all the stuffies&thingies.

So, yeah, a bit of an argumentative trap that shows that it isn't that easy to define what is better or more complex. I mean, you seem to have made a bit of a mistake, and you've got the power of Genius™ on your side.

My objection to this ties to my discourse regarding the superiority of medieval art. System Shock 2 is superior to Quake 3 not because it gets everything right, but precisely because what it sets out to do is of greater import, and accomplishes it to a sufficient degree. Complexity is a bit of a meaningless buzzword since it doesn't cover everything, though it is often useful to get the basic point across. And i think in a way it is significant that Quake 3 is more perfectly made than System Shock 2, precisely because its scope is more limited, and ID software had less elements to mess up (not to mention probably more money and better resources, but that's besides the point).

What's the point? You clearly cannot see value in an entire swath of games/mechanics and then justify your perspective with a lot of over-intellectualizing and epithets of "RELATIVIST!" when someone disagrees with you.

Here come's the fallacies again. Just because i consider one particular gaming form as superior to another it doesn't mean i cannot see the value of the latter. And second, to argue that one cannot determine whether a given form is superior to another 'cause "apple and oranges trololo" IS relativistic. What exactly do you want me to do here, come up with new words to express the same concept just to avoid repetition?

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but I'm starting to not feel as though you're speaking with people in this thread, but speaking at them.

That's because i know what the argument is about at heart. There is no point for me to shift through a particular rationalization, pin point logical consistencies and see if i can poke holes to a particular sentence, when the very foundation of the argument runs against the principles of my own arguments. For me to accept the premise of a relativist argument just to engage with the content of the argument itself would be to automatically condemn myself to defeat.

No, I merely used the actual definition...

But not the actual meaning.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
If there was one game with two versions otherwise identical except for the following: one with nothing more than ASCII symbols as "graphics" over a 3d wireframe that have a steep learning curve of their own because you have to learn what they represent(something like a truly 3d roguelike) and the other with shitty anime visual style but highly detailed 3d graphics superior in detail and textures to Crysis with perfectly round tire textures even, I'd only play the 3d ASCII version.

TedNugent

Arcane
As for Plato, his outlook was very much realist, and he did in fact rank everything in an all-encompassing manner, starting with the One (I.E., the Absolute).

You're right about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_realism

It seems reasonable to you because you are a rationalist, precisely. You seem to be equating our "epistemic limitations" with an intellectual limitation plain and simple. But prey tell, by what means then do we even determine "greatness"? Beethoven and Britney Spears, which is better and why? Dickscuss! "Perfect objectivity" is a nonsensical expression anyway, for something is either objective or not. There are no degrees.

The means by which you determine "greatness" are by setting criteria by which we can objectively evaluate the degrees by which each item satisfies the given criteria. So first you have to define the word "greatness," which you are not doing because you're not a "relativist," even though your failure to define the actual word itself confines you to reiterating your own subjective opinion.

The first step in having an objective discussion is obviously to agree on a set of objective terms by which you can further qualify the discussion. You're not doing this so that you can continue bleating.
Now, and this is particularly pertinent to the present discussion, we can in fact rank even geniuses against one another according to the limitations of their art (imagine then videogames), relative that they may be in the scheme of human creativity and possibility for greatness. Thus, Dante is greater than Milton not because his genius was superior, but because medieval culture was superior to the culture of the Enlightenment. There is a meaning to the poetry of Dante the surface of which Milton doesn't even begin to scratch (by comparison, one of the things that make Shakespeare so great is that he was more of a man of the middle ages despite being raised in the world of the Renaissance). In fact, sacred art properly so called is superior to profane art whether it involves "talent" or not. A medieval icon is superior to a Renaissance painting by sheer fact that the icon is based on intellectual criteria first and foremost, as opposed to mere virtuosity. In this respect, the icon can still be superior even if the painter was not a genius, as long as he follows the principles of the form without deviation, where as profane art is essentially worthless BUT for genius. In fact, and this is something that profane people cannot wrap their head around, witness the disdain Renaissance artists had for medieval works, when the art form itself encapsulates the essence of transcendence there is no need of individual genius (albeit individual genius can always enrich the art). Thus, the form of the art actually influences the outcome regardless of the talents of a given artist. The proof of this is modern art, which not even genius was able to redeem.
The ancient Poets animated all sensible objects with Gods or Geniuses, calling them by the names and adorning them with the properties of woods, rivers, mountains, lakes, cities, nations, and whatever their enlarged & numerous senses could percieve.
And particularly they studied the genius of each city & country, placing it under its mental deity;
Till a system was formed, which some took advantage of & enslav'd the vulgar by attempting to realize or abstract the mental deities from their objects: thus began Priesthood;
Choosing forms of worship from poetic tales.
And at length they pronounc'd that the Gods had order'd such things.
Thus men forgot that All deities reside in the human breast.
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/blake_ma.html
Complexity is a bit of a meaningless buzzword since it doesn't cover everything, though it is often useful to get the basic point across.
This pretty much sums up your entire post.

Here come's the fallacies again. Just because i consider one particular gaming form as superior to another it doesn't mean i cannot see the value of the latter. And second, to argue that one cannot determine whether a given form is superior to another 'cause "apple and oranges trololo" IS relativistic.

That's because i know what the argument is about at heart. There is no point for me to shift through a particular rationalization, pin point logical consistencies and see if i can poke holes to a particular sentence, when the very foundation of the argument runs against the principles of my own arguments. For me to accept the premise of a relativist argument just to engage with the content of the argument itself would be to automatically condemn myself to defeat.

Then shut the fuck up.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
As awesome as the meanderings of this thread no doubt are, I was surprised that the rapid aging of Japan had not been mentioned as a reason for the decline of Japanese gaming culture, in the naive innocence of the first few pages.

Fewer young people will always mean fewer leisure hours being spent in aggregate over a society, fewer minds fresh and ready to accept new storylines, and less chance of a new talent creating something beyond a stale remake. It would be strange if Japan could remain atop a changing industry, when there simply isn't much new blood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom