Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Japanese are the saviours of RPG genre.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Persona 5, a turn based game to be released in april for all gaijin to play clocks a healthy 100 hour main story campaign, not even Witcher 3 or BG 2 + Tob is that long. :obviously:

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=15221

bhn5bc6f868hagz9b3p6.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:hmmm:

Obviously I'm looking forward to P5, but a lot of that is going to be pointless grinding.

40 hours without Fallout 2 was already the upper limit of how long an RPG needed to be.

Shape

Educated
So what's so good about this whole Persona thing? It looks like some kind of a anime dating-sim with RPG elements thrown in here and there? And its console only right?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So what's so good about this whole Persona thing? It looks like some kind of a anime dating-sim with RPG elements thrown in here and there? And its console only right?

dating is optional, it is an actual rpg, it has a turn based combat known from early final fantasy series, however you collect 'personas' which are sort of magic abilities, you can fuse them into different versions, and yes it's console only.

But compared to todays western 'rpgs' it sticks to roots of rpgs of 90's.

DraQ

Arcane

dating is optional, it is an actual rpg, it has a turn based combat known from early final fantasy series, however you collect 'personas' which are sort of magic abilities, you can fuse them into different versions, and yes it's console only.

But compared to todays western 'rpgs' it sticks to roots of rpgs of 90's.
The problem with western RPGs has never been them not sticking to their roots, it has always been them moving away in a largely wrong direction.

Walden

Savant
I wish I had your free time. Seriously, play a game, do some trekking, learn how to play an instrument, stop shitposting.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it myself. P3 and P4 are also long but a lot of it is going through the motions, whether with your school life or nightly escapades. You could cut out good half of it and miss nothing of real importance. Then again, that's why some people play those games in the first place.

tet666

Augur
Yeah wake me up when they decide to release a non peasant version, oh wait that will never happen cause Atlus hates dirty Gaijins with a burning passion and PC is a Gaijin platform.

Hyperion

Arcane
What? Atlus published Demon's Souls and Vanillaware games in the U.S. when nobody else would touch the games with a 30 foot pole. They're one of the few Japanese companies that leave hope alive for the genre.

jungl

Augur
ya a 100 hours watching battle animations and running in randomly generated designed dungeons. I'll wait 10 years when there a ps4 emulator and I can speed up all that shit 4x so I can get through the 20 hours of real content.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What? Atlus published Demon's Souls and Vanillaware games in the U.S. when nobody else would touch the games with a 30 foot pole. They're one of the few Japanese companies that leave hope alive for the genre.
Notably not for the PC, ever. Atlus has a serious hate boner for PCs for some reason, which is a shame, because they do tend to publish a lot of inclined games.

kurtle

The Dragonloft
Developer
casual search on steam shows 15 games published by Atlus... just not any Japanese games. methinks they don't recoup costs on most titles they've brought across the pacific.

hackncrazy

Savant

So, in fact, Atlus are the real saviours of the genre. Without them, the world wouldn't discover Demon's Souls and today we wouldn't have Dark Souls and Bloodborne (unfortunately we have Dark Souls 2 and 3 as well, but nothing is perfect).

sullynathan

Arcane
to be honest, I don't play many JRPG's outside of the souls games, one monster hunter game that is really an action game and the few final fantasies I started but didn't finish. The Japanese put too much stock into farming in their games. It's a constant in almost every Japanese made rpg or action rpg.

Martius

Liturgist
Notably not for the PC, ever. Atlus has a serious hate boner for PCs for some reason, which is a shame, because they do tend to publish a lot of inclined games.
Its strange, I guess decision of people in Japan. Atlus USA actually published same games of smaller other studios on steam. I thought that could change with SEGA stepping in but its not like they are in hurry of porting their own library to pc.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
casual search on steam shows 15 games published by Atlus... just not any Japanese games. methinks they don't recoup costs on most titles they've brought across the pacific.

They didn't bring anything they never even tried, Atlus is very old fashioned and Japan-centric which is very stupid from a business standpoint especially now that the Japanese console market is pretty much dead, but that's unfortunately a fact.
We've seen it with decisions like excluding P5 from E3, lack of localized marketing, even the second trailer has been so far Japan exclusive.

The games might sell fairly good on Steam internationally, but it's very unlikely that they would develop Persona 5 or other Shin Megami games for PC since their primary audience in Japan won't buy it, no matter how many CS:GO or DOTA2 players there are and that's all they care about they rather throw money away to develop a PS3 version no one outside Japan will buy.
There where even rumors a while back that Sega Sammy faced heavy resistance from Atlus management when they asked about porting some of their Portfolio to PC.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

So, in fact, Atlus are the real saviours of the genre. Without them, the world wouldn't discover Demon's Souls and today we wouldn't have Dark Souls and Bloodborne (unfortunately we have Dark Souls 2 and 3 as well, but nothing is perfect).

Everyone who wasn't a normie casual imported Demon's Souls from Asia since it had english VA and texts anyway. It had a better cover than the EU/NA release as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom