Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jedi Outcast is a truly great game - Source Code Released

7h30n

Augur
Damn it, I succumbed to temptation. I dug up my old Dark Forces II box. I hope this will work on Windows 7 64bit.

Alright, first problem - CD is barely being loaded/read by the OS.
Second problem - installer works only on 32bit... -> fixed via alternate installer from here: http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=547&section=downloads

:necro:

On the Steam version, how do you pause the achievements screen? It just flashes by almost instantaneously, while the next level is loading. It's been years since I played this last, were the computers just slower back then so loading gave you a chance to review it, or is this a bug?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
:necro:

On the Steam version, how do you pause the achievements screen? It just flashes by almost instantaneously, while the next level is loading. It's been years since I played this last, were the computers just slower back then so loading gave you a chance to review it, or is this a bug?

Use this?

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
jk is better

edit: incidentally, I can't believe Darth Roxor and I played through the entire series the same year without me noticing. I even started by completing Dark Forces, that was an incredibly meh game

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well I mean it was :( It was okay but nothing beyond that I thought. I go back to Doom often, I don't think I'll go back to Dark Forces anytime. Maybe once for the novelty

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Forces, that was an incredibly meh game

you take that back motherfucker
I'm brofisting this post like

tumblrn54iy8ulsi1rfy6zso1500gif.gif

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Apparently in the future remake of Dark Forces Stormtroppers will have the accuracy that they displayed in "The Mandalorian", for consistancy.

I fully expect to ironman the game with only the first (except level 3, everyone who played the game will know).

Dark Forces better levels are some of the best of the era, but it also has some really bland/mediocre ones.

You say bland/mediocre. I say horribru. Anoat for example. But the last level was also extremely underwhelming

Eh, horrible seems a little extreme, but yeah Anoat and The Ark Hammer are definitely two of the weaker entries, with Anoat in particular being pretty bad. I'm also not a huge fan of the Ice Planet, but Tak Base, Fest, Blood Moon, the Detention Center, Jabba's Ship, and The Executor are all great, and the Death Star Plans heist is one of the best opening levels from any 90s shooter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I like Arc Hammer because it's tough as nails. I always barely finish it on my last life. I would say Anoat is the only real stinker for me in Dark Forces, though I also have a strong dislike for bullshit mines that explode in your face after opening doors in the dragon punching level. And the respawning enemies in the refuelling station.

Jedi Outcast (like DF II: JK) is a brilliant game. They really don't make them like this anymore. The levels are so intelligently designed, even if a bit more linear and smaller than in JK, and even the shooter gameplay before you can get a lightsaber/force powers, which got criticized on release, is fun. It's certainly not very realistic, with enemies strafing sideways at olympic speed, but has a certain frenetic appeal.

I love how the entire level comes together. The mining colony in the beginning for example. You can kinda tell that you need to jump on top of the moving floating car, but that room has an electrical discharge when the car gets in. I was trying to shoot the coils from the room itself, or drop a grenade in there, but the space was too small. The only issue with that level is that it's hard to see that pipe that comes out, since it only comes out once every 20 seconds or so, so it's easy to run on the platform and not see anything. Other than that, excellent!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dark Forces better levels are some of the best of the era, but it also has some really bland/mediocre ones.

You say bland/mediocre. I say horribru. Anoat for example. But the last level was also extremely underwhelming

Eh, horrible seems a little extreme, but yeah Anoat and The Ark Hammer are definitely two of the weaker entries, with Anoat in particular being pretty bad. I'm also not a huge fan of the Ice Planet, but Tak Base, Fest, Blood Moon, the Detention Center, Jabba's Ship, and The Executor are all great, and the Death Star Plans heist is one of the best opening levels from any 90s shooter.

I think the opening level is part of what gets to me. It's really really good, and then almost everything after either has less attention paid to it (= is mediocre) or is just downright bad. It's the Deus Ex-problem much much worse.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So which Star Wars storyfag FPS remains the best right now and runs well? I assume it's not Jedi: Fallen Order. Is it really Jedi Outcast?

I haven’t played Fallen Order (and I don’t think it’s an FPS?), but if you’re playing Star Wars games for the story you are going to be disappointed by everything not TIE Fighter or KOTOR2.

But yes, best story in a SW (quasi)FPS is probably JK2. It’s still a shit story though, and labelling it an FPS is a pretty dubious assertion.

Codex Year of the Donut
I haven’t played Fallen Order (and I don’t think it’s an FPS?)
It's something like an RPG. I'm not a fan of dark souls games so I can't really compare but it's supposed to be similar.
Didn't like Fallen Order either though, probably for the same reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom