Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jeff Vogel goes to Kickstarter for his next game, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

Farewell into the night

Jeff is a hero. I support.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hey Vogel, your utilitarian graphics never bothered me, but seriously invest in quality portraits. Great portraits will go a long way in making people willing to check your stuff out. as opposed to the DeviantArt-tier portraits you've been using for decades.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
So this guy openly refer himself as "living legend" and still people give him money, instead of suggesting to low his ego a bit? No wonder why gaming industry fallen so low, fanboism is cancer of our society. Also I love pixel graphics, but his art-style is painful to watch.

Mortmal

Arcane
Does he even read the Codex?

We scared him off a long time back.

Got all butthurt and called us all pirates.

Its an old post, he wrote a line or two on the codex after that , but never came back.So he probably still reads it.
Nice piracy free communities?
The codex is certainly the most pro business site ever, we have a newsposter relentlessly shilling, posting any tiny bits of info when paid for, we have games fundraisers, it was even suggested we do one for queen wishes.
Now if you read the comments on rpgwatch people are as jaded and negative if not more than here, not such a "nice" community anymore either.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Honestly, the entire thing would have looked better (from a marketing perspective) if he just included some nice concept art and lofty promises - instead of that pre-alpha gameplay.

Indeed. I think Matt basically set a new standard for how these things should be done:

Grab the Codex by the pussy
So this guy openly refer himself as "living legend" and still people give him money, instead of suggesting to low his ego a bit? No wonder why gaming industry fallen so low, fanboism is cancer of our society. Also I love pixel graphics, but his art-style is painful to watch.
It is a marketing strategy. He wants to reinforce the notion that he is the only one-man studio doing cRPGs all these years. He wants to come across as a legend from a underdog angle, which is not pretentious. I liked the video, by the way. I would like to see better art, but then again the whole point of his kickstarter is to have better art. Let's see how the game will look like and whether it will sell at all after being backed by his usual buyers.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, I'm pretty sure the "living legend" part was a joke.

Jeff has a pretty big ego, but he's not that far gone yet

Keye_

Educated
Good to see that there are still enough people who believe in Vogel to back this game.
I would've, if not for that alpha footage. :negative:
If this is the new engine, I'll just wait and see. If he fixes common issues like hp bloat that I've suffered from with his previous games, I'll give it a try on release, but I'm not holding my breath.
I feel a lot of people here have lost faith in Vogel over the years, this was his chance to prove them wrong. Seems like he failed with this low effort video.

Repressed Homosexual
The graphics really don't bother me at all, graphics are not important.

However, it really doesn't look like a very inspired game. I mean, I look at the description, and I struggle to try to differentiate this with Avadon. Just seems like generic fantasy. Avadon with base-building gimmicks essentially. And a tile-based engine to appeal to people nostalgic of Exile.

I ask myself why should I care and I really don't know what to say.

himmy

Arcane
I couldn't care less if the graphics are the same old stuff, I just wish it won't have that stale and bland feel that Avadon had.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The graphics aren't the issue, it's the same boring fantasy setting. Who the fuck wants yet another Vogel fantasy rpg? Especially one that looks to play exactly like all the shit he has been releasing for years now.

He should have gone with a geneforge inspired sci-fi setting.

Murk

Arcane
20+ years of the same shit. I guess if his style is "your thing" it's good, but I can't be bothered to care either. Not that it matters, he got his goal met.

aratuk

Cipher
Guys, the art doesn't look good yet because we haven't sent him to art school yet. With the Kickstarter he'll be able to afford tuition and remake all his games again with updated sprites.

turtle-pirate1.jpg

He has already passed the free art test they sent in the mail. Just give him a chance.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
+1 to Infinitron for not reporting FO: Vault 76 cancer.

Anyway, this game looks worse than most RPG Maker games... might've been interested if it was a King's Wish but since it's a Queen's Wish instead, I think I'll pass. Save your propaganda, Vogel!

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So Vogel mommy issues confirmed?

Would be nice to see some sample art assets to get an understanding of what they're targeting. I'd rather back bringing geneforge's graphics up to 1998 standards. An interesting world, but god damn the repetitive tilesets he uses are banal ass boring shit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The problem with this pitch for me is that premise isn't exciting for me.
I remember Avernum - wow! underground world, vast, sort of Australia in underworld with it's own eco-system, history...
Geneforge - just WOW, science, magic, cool.
This doesn't feel excating at all - queen? Welp...
Yeah, look bland like Avadon.

The art? Visuals? - you know, I like first Avernum's look better then sequel, better then Avadon because everything there shine too much and looks liek it was cut from plastic.
Probably it's same engine for latest Avernums, I played only first, second and BoA (fortunately I think).

And the main problem for me - roleplay system and combat. In first Avernus there was system who allowed interesting builds and exploits and even had Fallout-ish look, while in Avadon it was all bland and nothing to exlploit and explore in it. And I'm not sure, but Avernum's remake was using this system too, which was nothing can be glad about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom