Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jon Hare the maker of Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder returns with Sociable Soccer

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The ball seems to be stuck in the players' feet, which is the opposite of how Sensible Soccer-games worked. Gameplay footage doesn't impress me either.

in swos the ball sticked to the feet of top players a lot more also, and they are using top players in the video.

Even in swos the players had stats and were ranked on their ability, so will be in sociable soccer

SWOS-Barcelona-Sk%C5%82ad.png

Yeah true - it looks much more "sticky" than in the originals but the ball still had a less sticky look/feel than this new one, the ball physics in this one at least looks to be much worse than in SWOS.

Edit: The hours I put in all Sensible Soccer/SWOS-games is probably in the four digits, so I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, it definitely looks more "sticky". Yes, the way it played was that indeed stats mattered, so top players were more "sticky" than low quality ones. But it was still quite difficult to handle a ball for more than two turns on the field with the joystick. Actually, as I remember it, when you got the ball, you tend to want to have it on the left of the player if you want to turn left, so that the ball can still be kept.

I was more in Sensible Soccer than SWOS, and there, the ball was more like slightly bumping off of the player rather than stick to it, so it was kind of like that you have to position yourself to the ball in the right way if you wanted to make a turn (hence, what I wrote above that if you wanted to turn left you needed to have your ball closer to the left of the player - hell, you actually wanted to disconnect from the ball for a split second to position yourself "on the ball" after you make a turn left or right - it is kind of difficult to explain). In any case quick passes was the usual way to go.

Damn, I still remember the awe on my brother and his friend faces when I was scoring them goals with the headers from high passes from left and right wing. It was totally different and unknown tactics for them and they considered themselves good Sensible Soccer players :lol:.

Speaking of Joysticks - are they supported? And are there any joystick of Amiga era-type available now? (the ones with microsticks like Quickshot)?

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
You can play with an arcade stick I suppose, as long as it has some kind of left handed support (Amiga games were supposed to be played with your right hand on the stick).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They've done a Peter Molyneux. Not so sensible anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom