Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Jon Van Caneghem introduces Creature Quest for iOS & Android

Stokowski

Arcane

trxoE4X.jpg

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm quite interested in what JVC has brewing. The guy may be the most under appreciated RPG designer of all time. We have fanboys for guys like Richard Garriott, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone and everyone involved in Wizardry from the Siroteks to Cleve. Hell, even independent designers like Jeff Vogel get more attention than JVC. And yet Jon Van Caneghem was involved in Might and Magics 1 through 8, the 1990 version of King's Bounty, Anvil of Dawn, and Heroes of Might and Magic 1 through 3. He hasn't been involved in much design work since 2001, but the man deserves a fan section all his own.

Alchemist

Arcane
Thank goodness he escaped EA. My money is ready for the MMXI Kickstarter... (or spiritual successor)

Hey, one can hope, right?

Capitalism

Educated
Maybe we should write this nonamer something like "You owe us an explanation. RPGCodex"?

Guys, am I paranoid? It seems like codex has an raptor invasion, because every thread I read I see at least 1 raptor commenting.

Aildrik

Savant
Sorry for the bit of thread necro but.... was going to post something asking about Jon Van Canaghem and decided to google first.. and well..

So anyhow, just have to chime in and say I think this guy is a legend and have the utmost respect for him after spending countless hours playing MM III, IV and V. Didn't get as much into the later sequels; I have been a sucker for grid based games going back to the Bard's Tale. I have not been able to really understand what happened with Jon though; maybe someone with some insider knowledge could shed some light? Seems like he went from having a really stellar run with his company New World Computing but then has sort of bounced around from one project to the next. Did anything actually come of his time at EA? And before that he was with Trion and then left .... did he actually work on Rift? Or was a lot of the work done after he left? And his joining EA was a big shocker to me. I guess considering his roots with strategy games (HOMM), that made some sense but then he just ended up leaving and from what I can tell the C&C Franchise has been flat for a while so apparently not much happened with that partnership.

Anyhow, not knowing the real story it is just sad to see one of the juggernauts of the CRPG world having his talent go to waste. I was really expecting someone of that caliber to end up putting something up on Kickstarter. I think Legend of Grimrock and MMX show that there is still demand for that classic style of CRPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry for the bit of thread necro but.... was going to post something asking about Jon Van Canaghem and decided to google first.. and well..

So anyhow, just have to chime in and say I think this guy is a legend and have the utmost respect for him after spending countless hours playing MM III, IV and V. Didn't get as much into the later sequels; I have been a sucker for grid based games going back to the Bard's Tale. I have not been able to really understand what happened with Jon though; maybe someone with some insider knowledge could shed some light? Seems like he went from having a really stellar run with his company New World Computing but then has sort of bounced around from one project to the next. Did anything actually come of his time at EA? And before that he was with Trion and then left .... did he actually work on Rift? Or was a lot of the work done after he left? And his joining EA was a big shocker to me. I guess considering his roots with strategy games (HOMM), that made some sense but then he just ended up leaving and from what I can tell the C&C Franchise has been flat for a while so apparently not much happened with that partnership.

Anyhow, not knowing the real story it is just sad to see one of the juggernauts of the CRPG world having his talent go to waste. I was really expecting someone of that caliber to end up putting something up on Kickstarter. I think Legend of Grimrock and MMX show that there is still demand for that classic style of CRPG.

This is what happened to him at EA: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ree2play-gayfest-and-then-it-dies-amen.75137/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...r-cancelled-and-victory-studios-closed.87431/

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
a JVC thread and no ones even mentions my name.

Anyway i hope he can go to Ubisoft and teach them about Might and Magic.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
k. :| He's making a mobile game and working with Tencent.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-28-van-caneghem-launches-new-mobile-studio

Van Caneghem launches new mobile studio

"I call this the renaissance of gaming"

Jon Van Caneghem will be familiar to Might And Magic fans but the veteran developer is ready for a new challenge. Today he launches his new studio, VC Mobile Entertainment, where he intends to apply his AAA development past to the mobile market.

"For me, as a game developer for a long time and also an entrepreneur, it's just such an amazing opportunity. I call this the renaissance of gaming," he told GamesIndustry.biz

"Never before has there been a way to get to so many consumers so easily and so many people who are actually playing games on mobile devices."

Van Caneghem explains that he's not about championing one platform or another; he just wants to be where the gamers are. He believes they're on mobiles.

"The second thing is the types of games that are succeeding are very much similar to what I built in the past, so strategy and RPGs are very popular on mobile devices."

The list of games in Van Caneghem's portfolio is too long to reproduce here, but as well as the Might And Magic franchise it includes the Heroes Of Might And Magic series, Empire II: The Art of War and the Heroes Chronicles series. He also spent time at Electronic Arts working on a Command & Conquer title but the studio was closed before the game could be released.

He's not ready to talk about the game he's making just yet, but from the hints above you can guess the genre. The game will be released later this year and he sees its target market as all gamers.

"I think it's a matter of adjusting the type of game for the play sessions and the type of play style," he says. He goes on to explain that the development process for mobile, the constant iteration, is pretty familiar to a veteran of the industry.

"This really reminds me of some earlier PC games days - it's a smaller team, less of a giant budget and there's a lot more chance to iterate, there's a lot more chance to be creative. And that's why I view this as such an exciting time for game design and development. It's not a 200-person, four-year endeavour to build a product."

To help that development process, the studio used its stealth period (it's been secretly busy for around a year) to secure a Series A investment round worth $4.5 million that included investments from Tencent and Pacific Sky Investments.

"It's made a big difference. Obviously the mobile space is crowded and has a lot of noise and to be able to rise above that was important. We wanted to raise the production values so that's helping with that.

"At the same time it's really a worldwide market and having a partner like Tencent who will handle our China distribution is just wonderful, they bring a lot of experience and ability to speed us up."

The game is currently nearing the beta stage and Van Caneghem is confident that when it is released the studio will be able to tackle the dreaded discoverability issue head on.

"Obviously we're hoping that the previous following on games we've built before is going to help us get started and there's a lot of ways to start attracting attention," he explains.

"It's definitely a concern but I think we have a bunch of plans that should help us rise above the noise. I think working with Tencent is also key to that mission."

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Another old hero talks about consumers and mobiles. :(
Didn't read the whole thing, since I was afraid of encountering that most vile and unholy word "monetization"

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Quick get some offical looking RPG codex representative to send him an email about making a kickstarter instead

Alchemist

Arcane
he just wants to be where the gamers are. He believes they're on mobiles
Well there goes the hopes for a proper PC-based M&M successor from Van Caneghem. :negative:

I do maintain a shred of hope he'll bring something interesting to mobiles, since he's talking about RPGs and strategy games here. Focusing on the mobile market for this type of game is a mistake though. The main audience for those genres are still PC-centric I reckon.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Might & Mobile 1: Secret of the Money Sanctum
Might & Mobile 2: Games for Another World
Might & Mobile 3: The Isles of Casuals
Might & Mobile 4: The Cloud of iOS
Might & Mobile 5: The Dark Side of iOS
Might & Mobile 6: The Mandate of Apple
Might & Mobile 7: For Bucks & Profits
Might & Mobile 8: The App of the Destroyer

EDIT: Forgot the fan-game:

Might & Magic: C&Ds of iOS

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
JVC returns to gaming!

vc.jpg

Might & Magic creator nets $4.5M to launch new mobile venture

Game industry veteran Jon Van Caneghem has managed to raise $4.5 million from investors like Pacific Sky Investments and Tencent to publicly launch a new L.A.-based mobile game developer/publisher: VC Mobile Entertainment.

Mobile startups from experienced developers are a common sight these days, but Van Caneghem's venture is especially intriguing in light of his lengthy career in PC and console game development. He founded New World Computing in 1984 and single-handedly designed its first title, the franchise-spawning Might & Magic.

From there he went on to work on a broad swath of games across multiple companies, including Trion Worlds (which he co-founded) and most recently Electronic Arts, where he worked on the Command & Conquer franchise. The latest entry in that franchise was cancelled and its studio was shuttered back in 2013.

In 2014 he founded VCME, and now the company is fifteen people strong and looking to launch its debut mobile game later this year. What follows is a brief conversation Gamasutra had with Von Caneghem via email earlier this week to shed some light on the origin story of VCME and what it means for the mobile market.

The lion's share of your experience seems to revolve around PC game development. How do you aim to apply that to making mobile games?

Von Caneghem: If you look at what games are currently successful on mobile, it’s primarily RPG and strategy games which are exactly the genres of games where I’ve had the most success. I’ve had experience making games with control schemes similar to touch—for example, Might & Magic 3, 4, and 5 as well as the Heroes of Might & Magic games could be played with only a mouse.

The most successful mobile games have server-based online components and are services similar to my online focused projects in the MMO space. Even the team sizes and overall game complexity remind me of the early days of PC games. It’s exciting to work on faster paced projects with smaller teams and more iteration again.

Why launch VCME as both a mobile game maker and publisher? It's not uncommon to see experienced hands found new mobile studios, but rarely do they set out to be publishers too.

My experience with games as a service has many parallels to how synonymous publishing and developing are in the mobile games marketplace today. As the mobile space continues to evolve and consumer expectations rise, the budgets for games will increase, the demand for games as services will rise, and marketing clout will become very important. As that continues, developers will need to keep developing meaningful and direct relationships with their players while also fulfilling typical publishing needs.

The mobile game market appears dangerously overcrowded, and new challengers seem to face significant challenges in getting their games discovered. Does that line up with your own outlook?

I’ve been hearing how crowded the market is since the day I started the first Might & Magic. I firmly believe quality products get noticed. This is not to say that marketing isn’t important, but without a great product there’s only so much marketing alone can do. As for the mobile space, as gamers we look at the number of titles and conclude the space is crowded, but when you step back and consider the incredible number of devices in circulation, how fast the mobile market is still growing, and what installed base that represents it’s clear there is a lot of room for new products.

Source: Gamesutra

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom