Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Jon Van Caneghem introduces Creature Quest for iOS & Android

Diggfinger

Arcane
I'm quite interested in what JVC has brewing. The guy may be the most under appreciated RPG designer of all time. We have fanboys for guys like Richard Garriott, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone and everyone involved in Wizardry from the Siroteks to Cleve. Hell, even independent designers like Jeff Vogel get more attention than JVC. And yet Jon Van Caneghem was involved in Might and Magics 1 through 8, the 1990 version of King's Bounty, Anvil of Dawn, and Heroes of Might and Magic 1 through 3. He hasn't been involved in much design work since 2001, but the man deserves a fan section all his own.

I second that. Seems that he will focus on strategy and RPG's, which is good news.

I hunger for good Iphone games. Only good one I found so far was Undercroft which is actually a M&M inspired blobber.
Oh yeah, that was also the decent ARPG Solomon's Keep.

Good to know that JVC is "back in business" - looking forward to some cool games.

lorn

Educated
I wonder where he gets the idea, that strategy and RPG gamers are found on mobile. There are literally a handful decent mobile games in those genres and most of them are ports from PC games.

The vast majority of mobile RPGs are any combination of overly simple, overly shallow, a nightmare to control, incredibly short or marred by micro-transactions.

I can see the potential, but shutting out his main demographic, i.e. old-school CRPG-Fans, who most likely shun mobile gaming, is certainly not the way to go.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wonder where he gets the idea, that strategy and RPG gamers are found on mobile. There are literally a handful decent mobile games in those genres and most of them are ports from PC games.

Since he's explicitly talking about the "successful" titles (with always-on mmo mechanics), he means games like "Clash of Clans" ("Strategy") and e.g. Puzzle & Dragons ("RPG") and surely not what publishers like Slitherine port to the iPad. So it looks like his job is to make a "Clash of Dragons" micro transaction cash cow for Tencent.

And with this audience, his name doesn't have any pull. I even think being an "old school designer" is detrimental when designing mobile p2w (or at least pay to skip lock-out timers) titles because you are used to make a game, not being a pusher. But maybe his years at EA instilled the necessary mentality and ruthlessness in him to succeed in this field.

I get his excitement, it's a new frontier and the similar team sizes / cost structures to the "good old days" are mentioned by others too, and there are surely possibilities for new ideas, but that's not where the money is right now. That may change if the market matures, of course.

Last edited:

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I honestly wouldn't mind a well designed new franchise for a mobile system. Maybe something like an M&M wouldn't really work unless you used a keyboard, but a more strategic thing like King's Bounty wouldn't be so bad. Have to remember that he's a designer, not a M&M machine, so new franchises are possible.
Resolution and framerate on mobile devices tend to be better than consoles anyway. I just hope it's a paid-once model than a free-to-play with microtransactions.

m_s0

Arcane
Might of Money

Did someone actually believe that he would start making real RPGs again?
Not really, but it's still sad to see another casualty to the mobile 'gaming' cancer. And this comes after we've already lost him to MMOs a decade prior.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Apparently his new game soft launched in Australia and New Zealand: http://playcreaturequest.com/

Yes, it's what you are expecting:

Embark on a Quest and Explore New Realms to Build the Ultimate Creature Collection in this highly anticipated Fantasy RPG Strategy Game.

RPG MEETS STRATEGY IN A QUEST FOR CREATURES

- EXPLORE adventurous Quests and overcome obstacles to discover treasure
- COLLECT and upgrade over 500 adventure seeking fantasy Creatures
- BATTLES are strategic and addicting as you wield powerful abilities in PvE
- BUILD your own dungeon and earn great rewards by defeating your rivals in PvP
- DAILY EVENTS include new Quests, Rewards, Challenges, and Creatures
- GREAT for new or experienced players; for minutes or for hours; for fun or competitively

From legendary game designer Jon Van Caneghem, creator of the Heroes of Might & Magic Strategy & RPG series (the original “just 1 more turn” fantasy games), comes the latest in his long line of fun, innovative and critically acclaimed hits where RPG meets Strategy.

:backawayslowly:

Alchemist

Arcane
Maybe it's like what Richard Garriott did - making crappy casual games first to gain capital for his new company and then going back to his RPG roots after that. But we all know how that went....

:rage:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
From legendary game designer Jon Van Caneghem, creator of the Heroes of Might & Magic Strategy & RPG series (the original “just 1 more turn” fantasy games), comes the latest in his long line of fun, innovative and critically acclaimed hits where RPG meets Strategy.

Why is this even mentioned? It's not like his current audience has ever heard of HoMM. But then again, I guess every bit of advertising helps when you're a whale hunter on the Quest for Microtransaction Gold.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, times must be really rough, huh? From Might and Magic to...a Puzzles & Dragons clone.

Ouch.

That shit didn't even make me angry, just sad. I literally grew up on games by this guy. Mapping out MM1 by hand when I was 10 years old and not knowing what the fuck I was doing, being blown away by Xeen some years later... 25 years later he comes up with a generic Gacha creature mobile fleecing abomination. Fuck.

Severian Silk

I don't know what your problem is. I think this is the best game he's ever designed. :shrug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a bit weird how these mobile devs hype up how they're all about small teams and rapid iteration, yet they have these interminably long regional betas.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/15/c...reators-first-world-might-and-magic/view-all/

Creature Quest is one big nod to its creator’s first world — Might and Magic (update)

Creature-Quest-main-930x872.jpg

Image Credit: VC Mobile Entertainment

Might and Magic may no longer resemble its roots as a turn-based, sometimes silly role-playing game, with its mix of science fiction and fantasy and some goofy monsters (like the Cuisinart). That comes from its creator, Jon Van Caneghem. He’s the CEO of VC Mobile Entertainment, but he started his career 30 years ago, inspired by his love of fantasy and sci-fi.

These days, like hordes of other designers, Van Caneghem is working on a mobile game. It’s called Creature Quest, and it’s a strategy game for smartphones and tablets (it’s already soft-launched in some regions). It’s a strategy role-playing game, and it’s full of nods to Might & Magic and its Heroes strategy game series, with silly jokes, artwork, and map mechanics that echo these beloved franchises.

GamesBeat interviewed Van Caneghem earlier this year. This is the first part of our conversation and an edited transcript.

GamesBeat: I’ve been playing your games since the original Might and Magic.

John Van Caneghem: Oh, my gosh. That goes back a ways.

GamesBeat: I’m old, too. I know a lot of people, when they think of old role-playing games, their favorites are Ultima or Wizardry, but mine are Might and Magic and Bard’s Tale.

Van Caneghem: I get a lot of people like that. There are different camps of things people like from that period in terms of the style or the strategy, how difficult they were.

GamesBeat: Party compositions, tone and humor.

Van Caneghem: Tone and humor was a big part of the Might and Magic series, yeah. We always tried to be a lot of fun.

So, I recently started a new company, about two years ago, called VCME, VC Mobile Entertainment. Our focus is mobile games. Our first product is now in soft launch, in Australia and New Zealand. Our first partner was Tencent, who invested in us, in our A round last year, which I think—you guys covered the announcement. We recently announced the game, Creature Quest. This is a strategy-RPG creature collectible game. It’s kind of a blend between some of the creature collection games people are familiar with and a lot of stuff I brought from Heroes of Might and Magic.

GamesBeat: Heroes was always one of my favorites.

Van Caneghem: One of the challenges—mobile games are the renaissance of gaming, the future of gaming for me. People always asked me what platform I like, and I always said, to me it’s wherever the gamers are. Where can I get to the most players possible and make something they’ll enjoy? It was PC, it was console, and today there’s such an amazing amount of people playing mobile games. They’re becoming more sophisticated. They’re not just little casual things anymore. We’re getting to very deep games, some of which are even more complicated than the 80s and 90s games I made. It was intriguing. I’ve been addicted to a lot of games out there right now. People have been telling me that so many of them are based on what I invented with the Heroes series, so we should go ahead and make one. This is our first game with my new studio. It’s called Creature Quest.

GamesBeat: Is it going to be iOS and Android?

Van Caneghem: Yes. It’s available right now just on iOS in Australia and New Zealand.

GamesBeat: I can see some callbacks to Might and Magic in the art already.

Van Caneghem: Yes, of course. We have all the famous fantasy creatures.

GamesBeat: You definitely twisted the style for mobile, but you can see it some of the runes, or this character right here, this one here.

Van Caneghem: The pyromancer, yeah. Definitely wanted to bring in–

GamesBeat: And the stylized castle, right out of–

Van Caneghem: –Crown of Heroes, yeah. I’ll get started here. This is our throne room. This is where you start the game. There’s a few things going on here I’ll explain. First off, across the bottom, these are similar tabs that some of the other collectible games have. We wanted to maintain some consistency with home. We have our creature collection. All the creatures you can collect and your whole inventory of them. There’s a treasure section.

GamesBeat: I’m seeing–

Van Caneghem: –lots of stuff going on.

GamesBeat: I see a blend of art styles. Some of it’s what you’d get from Asian games, some of it’s what you’d get from western games.

Van Caneghem: The first creatures you get are kind of a little cutesy, like this kitten mage. All these little pirate guys, a little dragon in a shell. A lot of little fun creatures. Then you start to collect the more powerful ones, all the way up the knights and dragons and wizards, and there’s a transition from small and cute, medium and powerful, to oh my gosh, these are legendary, amazing-looking creatures. But we have little things like these bats, little goblins with bats, the dragon in a shell, the matador bee. Tons of little fun things. A little friar mantis.

Creature-Quest-battle.jpg

Above: Those kitty mages!

GamesBeat: That’s totally your Might and Magic-style humor there.

Van Caneghem: We have tons of those in the game. They all have their own sound effects. In fact, all the sound and music is done by the same guy who worked with me at New World and did all the Heroes stuff. There’s a lot of continuity there. Then you go all the way to the more ferocious stuff, like the dinosaurs and druids. You have to have a phoenix. Five hundred creatures in the game at launch, and all sorts of collectible paths. There are different color groups. Each one has their own ability that’s different from all the other creatures. There are tons of treasure to collect, items. I’ll get into that in a second. The usual shop where you can buy the paid currency, which you can earn in the game, or buy extra if you want to play more or speed things up. The premium currency is our diamonds, but we do give a lot just for playing, for logging in, for participating in events. You can play the whole game without putting money in it. We want to make sure that people who just want to play, they can. If they really enjoy it and want more stuff, they can buy things they want. Here’s the way you get new creatures. One of the ways. You do this little summon. You spend either tickets or diamonds and it’s a random—ring the gong and see what comes down. Okay, I got a little fairy dragon. That’s the summoning. We have all the social stuff with your Facebook and friends and guilds and whatnot. But also the bookkeeping stuff is pretty cool. We have a very pretty art style, I think. Not a very anime look, a very western, Heroes type of look.

GamesBeat: But a little blended.

Van Caneghem: Yeah, a little blended. We wanted to bring in something for everyone, try to make a worldwide game.

GamesBeat: Which is not an approach a lot of people take.

Van Caneghem: With the Heroes games, we tried to appeal to a worldwide audience without having any—there wasn’t any kind of anime feel to it, but it did have a lot of Eastern Europe, Western Europe, U.S., fantasy from all sorts of different mythologies. Anyway, that’s some of the basics. Here’s the main ways you play the game. There’s three ways to play. The first is our most innovative, our questing system. This is very new to this style of creature collecting game. Nobody really has something like this. We have all these daily quests, controlled on the server with a schedule. Some are available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. They rotate and new ones come and go. They all have a little story background. They’re very comical. They tie into the creatures. Each one has different items and stuff that you want to collect by playing through those quests. You choose a quest and it has a difficulty setting, just like Heroes. The higher the difficulty, the better the rewards.

GamesBeat: You don’t see that in a lot of these games.

Van Caneghem: No, you don’t. Then we start the quest. We go into our adventure map. This is very Heroes-esque, something nobody’s done in a creature game. We have our map where you have to explore, but instead of moving a guy around, you tap and spend energy to explore new territories. As you uncover stuff you pick up all the treasure. There are little people you find, quests, and here’s the castle. The castle says, okay, I need a siege weapon to attack this castle. I have to go find, somewhere, a siege weapon. We’ll keep collecting gold and exploring. There are signposts. Okay, here is a creature blocking our way. We can’t go any further because he’s blocking us. Now we have to do combat. The combat is a turn-based strategy game. All the little creature stories behind them are really funny.

GamesBeat: So this is all strategy-based.

Van Caneghem: Right, all turn-based. Here we have the bad guys, up here, and the little numbers are how many turns until they go. Here’s our team of heroes we’ve assembled, our creatures we own. Everybody has all these stats that tie deep into the RPG elements. Lots of numbers. Sometimes they’re creatures, sometimes they’re humanoid. They all have a basic attack specific to the creature, which has all these stats and bonuses. I can press each player and they go. I can target someone if I want everyone to go after that same guy. And I can do what I call a swipe, which is convenient for just grinding away.

GamesBeat: Did I just hear a “wah-wahhh”?

Van Caneghem: Yeah. That was the bugle butterfly playing the sound effect. All the sound effects are pretty cool. Here’s the kitten mage. We’ll see what he says. [meowing noises] Okay, let’s get rid of this wight here. After we build up some mana, our special moves come on line. Each creature has a unique special ability that does all sorts of different things, from stuns to area effects to bonuses, negatives, debuffs. There’s a whole list. Typical RPG stuff. This guy does a bite attack on three different people. The phoenix sets everyone on fire. This valkyrie has a magical attack that gives you bonuses for the rest of the round. Our druid here has a heal, of course, for the party. And our wizard has this chain lightning spell.

GamesBeat: Now we have this dwarf here. He looks like he’s ready to attack.

Van Caneghem: Yeah. One turn, he attacks. If I go once, he goes, and he hit my guy here, but he’s not very powerful at the moment.

GamesBeat: So when a foe attacks, it lists their attack and they do what they do.

Van Caneghem: Right. They can cast spells, heal themselves, do all the same abilities. Whatever ability they have, if you have him in the party, he does the same ability. There’s also what we call our combo system. There’s all these combo dots across the top of the creatures that can be used for mana or, if you strip away all the dots, I get what’s called a combo. He does like 16 times damage. All right. Let’s finish this guy off. We’ve got one more wave. We have a three-wave battle. Then here’s the big guy at the end. Let’s try to get through this quicker. He knocked one guy out. My druid went down, which is unfortunate. She’s our healer for the party.

Creature-Quest-monster-storage.jpg

Above: That’s one way to make a monster closet. …

GamesBeat: Is the A.I. smart enough to know who to attack?

Van Caneghem:Yeah, yeah. But you can also cast spells to protect that person or draw attention elsewhere, stuff like that. He knows who he’s best at. He’s red, part of the fire group of creatures, so he’s good against earth creatures. They get set on fire. There’s a circle of colors in these games, something pretty common. We beat the wave. And we collect all the treasure from the creatures we defeated. We’ve got some EXP gems. So now we continue on our quest. He’s gone. There’s some more stuff to pick up and we keep going. You go through the entire map, of which there’s the wizard’s story here—let’s see. We have to find the catapult to get through the walls and fight the wizard here for the final battle. That’s one way to play. It’s our story quests. It’s very unique to this style of creature collection game. It has the Heroes-type feel to it.

GamesBeat: The games I’m most familiar with are Monster Strike and Puzzle & Dragons.

Van Caneghem: Yeah, you can see some similarities there. But they’re just encounters, not stories. We wanted to do the stories. Every day there’s a new story, and they’re kind of fun. There’s Pirate Plunder and Bewitching Bayou. She’s having a love affair with the wizard and you have to find her potion to make her look pretty. On and on and on. There are special ones with these genies that—it’s a lot of fun. A lot of humorous background based on the characters.

GamesBeat: Wish Vortex? Is that a rib on Grand Theft Auto?

Van Caneghem: Maybe? That’s our questing system.

GamesBeat: How long have you been making games now? What was your first game?

Van Caneghem: It was Might and Magic in 1986. Thirty years.

GamesBeat: And your humor is still intact. It hasn’t changed. It’s still there. That’s rare. This business eats people up.

Van Caneghem: Yes, it does. But I love playing games. That’s what keeps me into it. I love seeing all the new games come out. I love getting joy and inspiration from all the new people making games. There was a period there where I stopped, a very short time, about six months. I said, all right, I’m done. And all I did was play games at home. It was time to get back into it again. I’ve been re-energized by the whole mobile world, because it’s smaller teams. It’s a lot more iteration. It reminds me of the ‘90s in terms of the size of teams and the iteration ability. The ability to make something cool up, versus—today, in console and whatnot, it’s 300, 400 people on a team. It’s a monster of a business. You don’t have that ability to iterate and be nimble that we had on smaller games and smaller teams. That’s why it’s exciting. I’m looking forward to this game coming out, and making the next one and the one after that. I want to create a system where we can keep cranking out fun mobile games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is there any official information out regarding the game's success? Looking at publically available data, it seems like a flop.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any official information out regarding the game's success? Looking at publically available data, it seems like a flop.

As far as I can tell, it's not available in the United States or most of Europe yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom