Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Darklands LP

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I wonder he will ever stream himself playing Baldur's Gate, the spiritual predecessor of Pillars of Eternity.
Why would he want to play a game he fucking despises?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They did name drop Darklands for the kickstarter but they admitted that the game doesn't really resemble Darklands other than visual style. I think they said something like "Ultima 7 meets Diablo"

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Looking forward to see how he handles time constraints. I recently played Darklands and it is great fun, but i am never able to show up at the right place at date X... So cannot do main story line R00fles!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lol. No i havent' missed it i even bought the game. You on the other hand have missed what those two games are about (or maybe just one of them). To make it easy for you: Serpents in the Staglands and Darklands have very little in common. A bit of graphic style maybe... the fact that combat is real time... and thats about it i guess ? So stop bringing SiTS when someone says "Darklands". Maybe the authors of SiTS played Darlands, perhaps they even felt "inspired" somehow but they certainly "forgot" to put anything that makes "Darklands" - "Darklands" in their own game. SitS look like a good game on its own but a Darklands-like it is not. Not at all. Thank you for your attention. :D
I have not played Darklands but by reading your post, it fits SitS perfectly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's very weird to see developer play an old rpg competently. I am not sure what to think about it. Never happened before in my memory. Sadly, I don't think JS would have a chance to make an Obsi game for people like himself. So no rpg about St. George and Byzantine Empire or what he wanted

Imagine, you could have started a game as a blind eunuch

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I literally fell asleep while watching this time. Sure, I was already tired

Fry

Arcane
It's about as fascinating as a Darklands play through can be.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not really Darklands' fault specifically. RPGs with lots of text and combat (as in, most RPGs) are generally unsuited to video LPs. They can be fun to play, but almost never fun to watch. Which is why, as any SA LPer would tell you, they're best done as screenshot or hybrid LPs (or heavily edited video LPs at best).

In this case, people are really just watching JE Sawyer, not Darklands as such.

Fry

Arcane
Could be much worse. Like every fucking insufferable idiot streaming play throughs of old RPGs and acting out the characters.

imweasel

Why would he want to play a game he fucking despises?
Ahh, my bait worked. *rubshands*

Because I would find it very amusing to watch Sawyer throw a hissy fit when he needs to cast a hard counter.

Yeah, just like Arcanum this is a bad choice for a video LP. He'd need to be constantly talking about something else (or talking about the game with someone next to him) to keep viewers interested, but then it would be as if we are just listening to him while he plays a game instead of watching him play a game.

Also, he needs a haircut.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not really Darklands' fault specifically. RPGs with lots of text and combat (as in, most RPGs) are generally unsuited to video LPs. They can be fun to play, but almost never fun to watch. Which is why, as any SA LPer would tell you, they're best done as screenshot or hybrid LPs (or heavily edited video LPs at best).
Very true, unless the LPer is a very charismatic/entertaining person that can fill the slower moments with interesting commentary, but such people are more rare than unicorns, and they usually use their skills in a more productive way.

It also works the other way around - some games are unsuited for screenshot LPs, especially those with heavy action elements.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Could be much worse. Like every fucking insufferable idiot streaming play throughs of old RPGs and acting out the characters.

And skits! You gotta have skits! Because nothing spices up a video quite like putting everything on hold so you can do a half-assed job of acting out something from the game!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
And skits! You gotta have skits! Because nothing spices up a video quite like putting everything on hold so you can do a half-assed job of acting out something from the game!
Squall-spoony.jpg

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom