Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer is taking a break from directing games

Nael

Arcane
rating_citation.png

But also :lol:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'd actually be interested in a non-RPG from Sawyer. I'd be curious at the very least, which is more than I can say regarding 95% of games I hear about. What kind of autistic spin would he give to the genre, etc.

Hyperion

Arcane
Probably just moving to Project Indiana with Cain and Boyarsky. Not Fantasy RTwP, nor will he be Director with those 2 on it.

mastroego

Arcane
Unexpected.
Well the market is larger at least and there'll always be many more titles to choose from.
Though I'm curious to read reviews about the new FPS where fun has been regulated.

Sorry if I sound edgy, not my intention.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Chris Avellone mentioned someone high up in Obsidian is leaving their post. I kind of knew he meant J.S.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Because it isn't directly talking about CRPGs. It is gossip started by CA, and then eventuated in Sawyer leaving his post.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
That's not 'balanced' that's the truth. His career is Obsidian. He started as a community manager and ended up leading major projects, but outside Obsidian's door he is still 'just' a community manager. He doesn't have any advanced coding skills that we no of and certainly no writing skills. Having last directed a commercial failure wouldn't help either. The best he could hope for would be senior game tester or contracted work as an external producer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That's not 'balanced' that's the truth. His career is Obsidian. He started as a community manager and ended up leading major projects, but outside Obsidian's door he is still 'just' a community manager. He doesn't have any advanced coding skills that we no of and certainly no writing skills. Having last directed a commercial failure wouldn't help either. The best he could hope for would be senior game tester or contracted work as an external producer.
flip the coin and he has shown loyalty, worked on a decent amount of projects, and probably has experience with quite a few tools and designer frameworks. he's also done talks, been in a lot of videos, etc. and that counts for a lot in a business with mostly autistic introverts.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
worked on a decent amount of projects, and probably has experience with quite a few tools and designer frameworks

That's why I mentioned he could try to land contracts as a producer. That's not necessarily well paid, stable or comfortable but that's really the only field of expertise he can market outside the company he made his atypical career into.

Glaucon

Prophet
He's an experienced game developer who worked at a senior level on a number of moderately successful RPGs. I'm sure he won't have a hard time finding a job.

Glaucon

Prophet
Sure. There are literally hundreds of game development studios out there (not necessarily RPG focused studios) that would be happy to have a guy with Josh's experience.

Edit:
10+ years in the industry.

He's a nuts and bolts type designer. He gets down into the systems and I'm sure he's had experience with implementation and scripting.

Fairly good at communicating ideas.

Throw in the fact that he's not an antisocial creep and we've got a good candidate for design lead.

Also, none of this should be taken as an endorsement of the heresy known as Sawyerist Balancism. I'm just being objective.

Last edited:

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
That would depend on his willingness to move too far away from LA but even with a great resume finding a job at 42 without any degree in an industry that expects most of its designers to frequently work 80 hours a week when that's precisely what you want to get a break from is going to be hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom