Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Josh Sawyer wants to make a historical RPG

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
i think they'd honestly be way better off without this sawyer clown, i don't think he's actually ever made a good game besides fnv

The way you say that you make it sound like good games are common.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To have the game be Millennials LARPing around with today's mores, or a twisted over the top wink, wink, nudge, nudge version of it ala WH40k will make the game unbearable.

Josh is Gen X.

Sannom

Augur
That helps, but that still doesn't explain "are presented as such".

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Would be nice if Josh changed the record for at least one game. I can't be arsed about yet another "medieval with magics" type of game, or, really anything with magic; "historical" setting or not.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mythology (particularly that associated with religion) is historical. :)

hivemind

the only game that does a more realistic showing of medieval Europe than Darklands is probably going to be only Kingdom Come

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Brian Heins on historical RPG setting: http://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-historical-rpg

Tyranny, Obsidian's RPG that casts you as an evil doer, is coming this year, but you might already be wondering what could possibly come next from the talented studio. One possibility is an RPG set during our own history, albeit with a sprinkling of the fantastical.

During a recent interview, Obsidian's design director Josh Sawyer revealed his ambition to create a historical RPG, telling RPG Watch, "I need to devote my attention to the project I’m currently directing, but it is my intention that the next project I direct (after this one) will be a historical RPG. It’s something I’ve been talking to Feargus every once in a while for the past couple of years and he’s been supportive.

"I don’t consider PoE to be a historical RPG in any way. When I say “historical RPG” I mean something set in Earth’s history - inclusive with fantastic variations, like Darklands and Ars Magica."

We spoke to game director Brian Heins at E3 and he mirrored Sawyer's wishes. "One of [Josh Sawyer's] passions is [a historical] RPG," Heins says.

"[I like] the idea of setting something in an actual historical period on Earth, then adding some elements of fantasy - whether it's magic or things like that - and see how that would shape the experience. Personally I would love to see like a Dark Ages historical events and then you're a wizard in the middle of that."

He sure loves magic, huh?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"I am working on an historical RPG. Here is how magic will work."

Fuck you.

Uh, Darklands?

Darklands had very little to no actual magic.

Outside of the system used in Darklands (which I think is pretty cool), most of what’s in the game is a slightly fantastic interpretation of historical organizations and myths. There aren’t any new organizations or layers of lore

:killit:

fuck off sawyer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh was asked about his historical RPG plans on SA: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post466490950

WqhyNBJ.png

Hv26IrR.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm surprised he's still interested in his antebellum spirits setting. The audience for such a concept as defined by him is much smaller than it already was. For example,

http://baby-goat.livejournal.com/202002.html
I have been writing sections of an Antebellum story. I haven't been consistent with updating it, but I have a few thousand words written and I think I have enough momentum to continue. The prose isn't particularly great, but it's still fun to write. I still think that the Antebellum settings and characters would be great in an action/adventure game, but I think it will take more fleshed-out exploration of the main theme (i.e. racism) to help people "get" it in the context of a game story. Anthony and Annie seem to be enjoying the story, so I have at least two friends who can see the word "nigger" in the context of fiction and not shit their pants.

If Annie refers to Vandermeer/Carlson/Mitsoda (whoops, checked comments and indeed it does), he can scratch one off the list.

He won't be able to rely on goon support either.

Beastro

Arcane
but I think it will take more fleshed-out exploration of the main theme (i.e. racism)

If he ever does it better do what Tranny failed to do and get in your face and visceral.

I'm surprised he's still interested in his antebellum spirits setting.

"Mid-late 19th century" doesn't sound like he's thinking of antebellum.

Antebellum is just one half of the era he's talking about. Who knows, he might be adding the late part to peek the interest of the full on Western lovers. A niche, but larger than that niche.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Mid-late 19th century" doesn't sound like he's thinking of antebellum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...is_avellone_tim_cain_and_josh_sawyer/c6mty3k/

Personally, there are two settings/ideas I'd like to explore. One is a setting called Antebellum that is an alternate Earth stuck in the late 19th century at the outbreak of the Civil War after spirit armies swarm over the American South, Ireland, India, and a variety of other places. I'd mostly like to explore the idea of different power groups (e.g. slave owners and slaves) being paralyzed by inaction due to the thread of reactive spirit groups coming to the defense of any party being victimized.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom