Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Katawa Shoujo: I love you just the way you are...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Meanwhile in Katawa Shoujo Forums...

How to get over Katawa Shoujo and move on with your life

odnsfvn said:
Hey!

I've read all over the seemingly many topics about how to get over the game. As this is maybe a little help for you, I will try to clarify things, in order to discuss and help each other - this will as well be my own attempt on getting over it - again... So please do not post things like "olol I had no probs" as they will be ignored anyways by people who seek help. And yes, I registered just for this one.

So I've read Hanakos arc (good ending) - and I got similar symptoms some of you had:

1. The urge not to play another path, because it would feel as cheating
2. The wish to experience something like that yourself
3. The feel of losing something, sadness after the path (which is not to be confused with being touched because of a romantic ending)
4. The feel that you can't complete the route or the game, because then, (like someone around said earlier) there would be "no more" of the girls

:hmmm: :singletearof47:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So I played quite some of them, including Clannad, Sharin no Kuni, Crescendo, Hourglass of Summer etc etc. And some of them let me behind, up to 2 weeks I was deeply saddened, and quite often on the verge of crying. It was a deeply hollow feeling, feeling a pressure on my chest that made breathing a thing I had to do actively, including the above mentioned feeling of loss.

:lol:

Kz3r0

Arcane
odnsfvn said:
Hey!

I've read all over the seemingly many topics about how to get over the game. As this is maybe a little help for you, I will try to clarify things, in order to discuss and help each other - this will as well be my own attempt on getting over it - again... So please do not post things like "olol I had no probs" as they will be ignored anyways by people who seek help. And yes, I registered just for this one.

So I've read Hanakos arc (good ending) - and I got similar symptoms some of you had:

1. The urge not to play another path, because it would feel as cheating
More self-preservation instinct kicking in.

odnsfvn said:
2. The wish to experience something like that yourself
Virginity nowadays must be very terrible.

odnsfvn said:
3. The feel of losing something, sadness after the path (which is not to be confused with being touched because of a romantic ending)
"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most."

odnsfvn said:
4. The feel that you can't complete the route or the game, because then, (like someone around said earlier) there would be "no more" of the girls
Yeah, only the strongest can complete this game, seven times.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd be more worried if you were able to simply "move to the next girl" after finishing a story that has truly managed to immerse you.

Of course there is something fundamentally wrong if this shit is immersive to you...

Kz3r0

Arcane
I'd be more worried if you were able to simply "move to the next girl" after finishing a story that has truly managed to immerse you.
AoW1_Heroes_80x100_Halfling_Priestess.jpg
I have an infinite capacity for love.

RK47

Patron
Music: Binary Sunset

The chill of the rapidly darkening evening permeates the dormitory hallways. While trudging down the corridor to my room, I see an unwelcome movement from up ahead.

16.jpg

ken.jpg
Hey man, what's...woah dude, you look awful, I think. You okay?

ED: You were right, Kenji.

He really has a knack for making any situation better.

hi.jpg
I... don't really want to go into it. It's late.
ken.jpg
Okay. That's cool. If you ever want to talk about it, I'm, you know, here.

ED: Thanks, bro.

I look at him for a moment before surrendering my stern front and awkwardly scratching the back of my neck, embarrassed by my standoffish response to him.

hi.jpg
Thanks, Kenji.
ken.jpg
Hey, it's cool. That's what friends are for, right?

ED: ...Man, that hurt. I mean, coming from Misha...yeah, I'm ok. But Kenji? The sociopath?

hi.jpg
Yeah, you're right. Um, seeya.

I open the door to my own dorm room and close it behind me as he quickly waves me off.

*Slam*

The solid thud the door makes against the frame sounds out a final call for the life I've led since coming to Yamaku. I just stand in my darkened room, fruitlessly attempting to work out what I should do from this point onwards. Just what should I do?

ED: I suppose, move on? She's made up her mind, but I hardly see you convincing her to stay. If you could just...you know, tell her that you wanted to stay, maybe you could break her resolve a bit.

The next day...

As class ends, I simply rest my head on my hand and stare out of the window to pass the time.

17.jpg

Meanwhile, Akira and Lilly will be en route to Scotland, to live out the rest of their lives there. No matter how hard I try to rationalize the idea that once the summer holidays begin, my life will return to the way it was, it simply refuses to happen. Everyone's moving on with their lives. Lilly's rejoining her family, Akira's moving up in her father's business, Hanako's gaining new friends and hobbies, and even Yuuko's moving ahead with her university aspirations.

Even I'm moving forward, in the end. With the marks I've gotten so far in Yamaku, much less after such a rocky beginning, the path to get into teaching as a career seems straightforward.

ED: Go for it, man. It's not the end of the world.

I suppose I should at least be happy about that much, but it doesn't really seem to help.

"Hicchan~!"

I quickly stop my ruminating and turn to face the bubbly voice beside me, putting on the most upbeat expression I can muster.

As expected, Shizune stands flanking her. I have a sneaking suspicion they want something from me.

hi.jpg
Hey Misha, Shizune. What's up?
18.jpg

mi-grin.jpg
Shicchan and I were thinkiing~...
mi-grin.jpg
Since we're just two poor little girls that need help with all the work we've been given just before the holidays begin~...

ED: Fuck, no. I'm done with girls.

hi.jpg
Sure, I can help.

ED: What?

mi.jpg
But Hicchan, we're really nee- What?

I think I broke Misha.

ED: You broke yourself.

Even Shizune raises an eyebrow at her accomplice's shuddering stop in her tracks.

mi-grin.jpg
So you'll help us, Hicchan?

ED: Two pity fucks. No less.

hi.jpg
I just said I would, didn't I?

It's hardly like I have anything better to do. Maybe helping them with their work will help take my mind off the situation.

ED: Ahh, do whatever you want. I can't wait for the credits roll.

Misha seems genuinely ecstatic with my response, but Shizune's expression is clouded and difficult to read. I find myself quickly averting my eyes from her own, as it almost looks like a face of pity. No doubt, it must just be my imagination.

Later, at the Student Council room...

This is hardly the first time I've been in this room. Indeed, I've found myself down here often, either to help Lilly with class rep work, or to sort out one thing or another with the Student Council itself.

ED: You're kidding. I hardly see you doing the former or the latter. I only remembered you playing Risk in this room.

Now, though, it's quite a different place.

19.jpg

It looks positively ancient, and I'd guess it has been valiantly serving its task in archiving information for years and years.

hi.jpg
So, what needs doing? This looks like a lot to do.
shi.jpg

Shizune's expression becomes determined as she signs. It's a worrying look.

mi-grin.jpg
Everything, Hicchan!

ED: Here we go again...

My worry was well placed.

hi.jpg
Everything...you say?
shi.jpg
mi.jpg
What's left on the desks is what needs to be done. It all needs to be digitally recorded, which is what the laptop is for.
hi.jpg
And I'm guessing that I'll be the one doing this?
shi-glass.jpg
mi.jpg
Shicchan says she saw you with the computers in the library a few days ago, and that you seemed really good with them~

ED: That must be when you were googling 'midget dwarf sex'

Good with computers? I can touch-type, but it still seems like an over-estimation of my skills.

hi.jpg
I was just reading the Codex Playground...Wait, Shizune was watching me do that?
shi-glass.jpg
mi.jpg
One must know their allies before they can know their enemies, of course~
mi-grin.jpg
Wow, that's pretty wise...

For once, it's not very hard to work out who said what. Nonetheless, it doesn't seem worth fighting over. Sitting at a computer doing some typing hardly seems onerous, as far as tasks to help Shizune and Misha go.

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
Besides, it will help to take your mind off things~
hi.jpg
Take my mind off things? Take my mind off what things?

Misha's face goes blank as she translates this for Shizune, though the latter's response is only to glance away towards the window after briefly signing.

shi.jpg

Misha's face quickly returns to a smile as she translates back. She was confused, I guess, but Shizune is harder to pin down.

mi.jpg
I was just thinking you may like to get your mind off the exams, of course~
hi.jpg
Either way, we may as well get into it sooner rather than later. I'll go along with you.
mi.jpg
That's the spirit, Hicchan~

ED: This is really goddamn sad.

Time passes...

And that's the fifth spreadsheet compiled and saved. Time for the next month's...After a little but of fussing around, we all managed to get a bit more organized. Shizune's been gathering up the loose sheets and, thankfully, sorting them into a neat pile next to me. Meanwhile, Misha's been handling the manual writing work, her girly pink pen leaving its unmistakable mark on paper after paper.

Once I got myself into a rhythm, this really wasn't so bad. Shizune and Misha also seem to be in the swing of things, wordlessly communicating as they go about their business with fervor. I periodically glance at the sheet beside the laptop, apparently a list of student names and matching addresses, as I dutifully enter the data written on it. I don't pay a lot of attention to what I'm trying in until I reach about midway down the page.

ED: Man this is starting to sound like work. And it's fucking Friday night...workplace's so slow...and that happened in the office.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

hi.jpg
Hakamichi...class 3-3... Huh. Her family home is in Saitama.

My idle curiosity is ended abruptly as three light taps can be heard rapping on the door. Misha quickly skips over to check who it is, tapping Shizune's shoulder on the way past to let her companion know what's happening.

mi-grin.jpg
Ah, you're here~
hi.jpg
Hmm? Who is it?

With a slight pause to enter Shizune's data into the file along with all the others, I look up to check who's at the door.

23.jpg

ED: Betrayer.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
The fake VN screenshots narrating things like the cake and the shitty tea are probably my favorite part of this.

odnsfvn said:

Except, of course, for all the real life girls that anyone who goes outside will encounter regularly. It's like a never-ending supply!

Johannes

Arcane
The fake VN screenshots narrating things like the cake and the shitty tea are probably my favorite part of this.

odnsfvn said:

Except, of course, for all the real life girls that anyone who goes outside will encounter regularly. It's like a never-ending supply!
But how does one communicate with those?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
God, why do they go for shitty dramatic turn of events like this. Everyone with half a brain can see the "happy ending after the hardships" coming from a mile away. Do something ballsy god damn it.

I find the lack of horsefucking in this game disturbing...

HEEEE!!!!!

God, why do they go for shitty dramatic turn of events like this. Everyone with half a brain can see the "happy ending after the hardships" coming from a mile away. Do something ballsy god damn it.

Yep, seems obvius.

RK47

Patron
After giving a cursory nod to Misha in greeting, she perks her head up in her trademark manner.

24.jpg

ED: Let's leave. Don't say a word.

She's pretty darned good at working out my voice from the smallest of phrases nowadays.

ED: Forgot about that. Damn.

hi.jpg
Yeah, it's me. Um... hey.

The atmosphere feels slightly awkward as she bows. Neither of us knows quite how intimate we should be around each other, given she's leaving in just a matter of hours.

ED: :( Just go..why torture us like this?

This is a fact that, thankfully, neither the oblivious Misha nor the hardworking Shizune pick up on.

hi.jpg
So...you've got work to do as well?
lilly-sad.jpg
Unfortunately. I arrived as soon as I could, but my class held me up with a surprise farewell party, and I had to get changed.

I glance down at the laptop's clock. It's pretty much the end of lunchtime, so I'm guessing Lilly managed to wrangle the last period off as well.

lilly-smile.jpg
I take it Shizune is here as well?
shi.jpg
mi.jpg
Of course!
shi-glass.jpg
mi.jpg
And I've been here during all of lunchtime as well!

ED: Here we go. World War III.

That last comment was really not needed. Shizune's baiting Lilly into another argument, I can feel it.

lilly.jpg
I'm sorry I can't be as hardworking as you, Shizune. I'll endeavor to hire more lackeys to do my work in the future, I assure you.

And Lilly just took the bait, escalating things further.

ED: Why the hostility? I still don't get it.

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
But aren't you the one always outsourcing work to your classmates~
lilly.jpg
The difference is that they choose to help, unlike your tyrannical grip on your own class.

ED: This is like Yamaku's vendetta - and we're not getting closer to solving it nor understanding the source of this conflict. I refuse to believe a feud between two brothers can spread onto their daughters.

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
Tyranny works~!! Even if we did things differently, we still got the same results, right~?
lilly.jpg
This is a school, not a police state. You will have to remind me when you were appointed class monarch, I'm afraid.

ED: This is fucking inane. Whoever wrote this needs to get their head out of their asses.

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
You have to seize power, it's not as good if it's just handed to you~! But I guess you wouldn't really understand that, right~?

ED: YOU'RE GODDAMN EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT TYRANNY AND DICTATORSHIPS?!

shi-glass.jpg
mi.jpg
You'll also have to remind me when monarchs were elected into their positions~

ED: This is GENERAL DISCUSSIONS!!!!

Lilly positively bristles at this. Shizune's two-hit combo forces her onto defense.

lilly.jpg
Yet for all your vaunted power, you cannot get one person to help without forcing him.

ED: Huh? Is she talking about you?

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
But Hisao volunteered~! He's such a hard worker, he's doing this instead of meaningless socialization, right~?

ED: ...shut your goddamn mouth ALL OF YOU.

lilly.jpg
Is that so, Hisao?

Ah, this is bad. I've really ended up between a rock and a hard place.

ED: ...We really shouldn't even participate in this juvenile act mature shit.

As much as it may pain me to do this, the truth has at least a chance of stopping this argument here and now.

hi.jpg
It's okay, Lilly, they didn't harass me to come or anything.

Lilly gives me a disapproving grimace, silently radiating her strong feelings of displeasure in my general direction.

ED: What the hell? Fuck off.

She can be quite scary when she wants to be, though thankfully that isn't often.

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
Hicchan, you make that sound like it's a regular occurence~

ED: Must. Abandon. LP.

hi.jpg
It isn't? In the end, it doesn't matter so long as everything's getting done at a good pace. Let's just get this work over with so we can go home.

Shizune snorts derisively and gets back to marking off the sheet in front of her, while Lilly sighs and finds her way along the room with her hand following the filing cabinets lined along the wall. This would mark the only time I've managed to successfully defuse one of these situations, but the grudging ceasefire built around mutual fear and respect makes this feel more like a Cold War than any real peace. I can't take all the credit though; Lilly's leaving has surely affected Shizune to some extent, to make her give up so easily.

ED: About that, aren't you going to at least take her to the airport?

Moments before getting back to my work, I notice Lilly reaching up to grab something from above a filing cabinet. I almost offer to help, but her height gives her ample ability to take it down safely. Once she sets the strangely shaped device on the desk beside me, I realize just what it is... sort of... as she takes the old green covering off and sits down.

25.jpg

It has far fewer keys than expected, and those it has show no lettering printed on them. Only the shadows cast by the tiny Braille dots on them give a hint to the thing's purpose.

ED: Interesting.

hi.jpg
Blind typewriter?
lilly.jpg
Oh, this? Well, you're not far off. It's normally called a Perkins Brailler, but it's basically a typewriter for the blind, yes. It presses Braille into the page rather than text, which is why it has fewer keys.

ED: But..if the reports are done in Braille...who else can read it...but..you?

hi.jpg
Huh...that's really neat.

She gives a light-hearted grin at my curiosity over it. I have to admit that it appeals to my sense of novelty. Without further ado, we each get back to our allotted tasks. The loud clunking of the mechanics in Lilly's Brailler and the tapping of the laptop's old and weary keyboard quickly fill the room. It's a nice atmosphere, really. Everyone knows what they have to do, and Lilly and I get to sit beside each other and exchange the odd word as we work away. Nostalgic. That's what it feels like.

ED: ...You can still SAY something.

It's pleasant, but just slightly stained by the knowledge hat our time together is nearing its end.

lilly.jpg
Excuse me, Misha?

To properly address her, Misha bounces over from the filing cabinet she's peering into, in spite of Lilly's lack of sight. For a moment I think it's strage, but then realize it's exactly what I do.

mi.jpg
What's up?
lilly.jpg
Could you ask Shizune where the attendance records for class 3-2 are? I think they've been moved.
mi-grin.jpg
Okie dokie!

And with that, she flitters off to Shizune, who's working at a table behind us. Lilly's familiarity with the council room, and the efficiency with which she works, remind me that she, Misha and Shizune used to all work together in the Student Council. Maybe this is a fitting end for her stay in Yamaku; working away just like she used to, surrounded by those she loves and, at least, liked.

ED: ...Hisao, what do you really want?

I look up, getting taken off-guard by Shizune sorting through a drawer, rather than Misha. Sure enough, she plucks out a manila folder, entirely blank save for the just barely visible bumps on its front, and holds it in front of Lilly. Lilly's hand flits over it to check what it is, her fingers feeling out the dots of Braille and confirming it's what she asked for.

lilly.jpg
Thank you, Misha.

No reply. No reply, that is, save for an odd grin...no...smile... on Shizune's face.

ED: ...I...I don't care.

26.jpg

A couple of seconds pass before Lilly clicks that it isn't Misha behind her, but Shizune. Her momentary look of surprise is replaced by a slightly bashful smile. For a few moments, the room is all but still and silent. Eventually, though, Shizune strides back to her workstation and Lilly begins typing once again. It only lasted a handful of seconds in all, but it feels like years of communication were made up for in that one silent exchange.

Hours passed...

hi.jpg
There, finished.

I lean my head back and rub my eyes to try and work away their weariness. Staring at that small and rather poor screen's taken its toll.

lilly.jpg
Excellent timing; the only thing left is to file these away and I'll have my workload finished as well.
hi.jpg
Good, I'll pack up the Brailler and put it away while you do that.
lilly.jpg
Thank you, Hisao.
hi.jpg
Misha, are you and Shizune far from being done?

I look around for the two as I replace the cover over the Brailler, only to see them waiting at the door. I guess they must be waiting for us.

27.jpg

hi.jpg
Thanks for waiting, you two.
mi-grin.jpg
We couldn't just take off without you, Hicchan, you've been a great help!

Shizune nods approvingly, pleased with my efforts.

hi.jpg
I guess.. that's the last class representative work done and over with, then.
lilly.jpg
That's right.
mi.jpg
I'll miss you, Lilly. I think it was fun working with you.
lilly.jpg
Thank you, Misha. It's been good working with you... and Shizune.

Shizune thinks for a moment before formulating her response. It's not that she often communicates without thinking, quite the opposite, but this time it's even more considered than usual.

shi-glass.jpg

Misha looks a little surprised before passing on the message.

mi.jpg
Shizune says... you'd better do your work over there better than you did it here.

Far from taking offense, Lilly giggles into her hand.

lilly-laugh.jpg
If that's the case, then please tell Shizune to give those still here a little more understanding in the future.

Competitive until the last. Maybe they're both aren't so different after all.

shi.jpg
mi-grin.jpg
Shicchan says that she'll be checking to make sure you live up to your end of the promise.
lilly-smile.jpg
Then that's how it will be. I'd better be off, then. Goodbye, Shizune. Goodbye, Misha. Hisao?

ED: ...what do you want?

Lilly takes a hold of my arm in hers, there being no need for a cane if I'm here to guide her. With a nod of farewell to the two, we set off out the door and make our way to the school grounds. As I turn to wave goodbye to them, I notice Shizune's gaze lingering on Lilly. They may annoy each other, but family bonds aren't easily broken.

Outside...

hi.jpg
Got all your papers sorted, then?

ED: This is...you...last..chance, Hisao.

lilly.jpg
Yes, they've all been filled out and handed in.
hi.jpg
On top of things as always, aren't you?

She gives an earnest smile at the compliment, but it feels as if her happiness is just a veneer over the fact that she's fully aware of how much she's leaving behind.

ED: C'mon. You just...gotta be a man.

It reminds me of how she was like when I first met her; always smiling, always that little bit aloof, always that little distance away from everybody. Even now, she still maintains that air around many others, especially those she's not close to. I had hoped that our time together would have changed that fact. Our pace slows, the two of us coming to a half in the all but empty school gardens.

lilly.jpg
Hisao? Is something the...

Music: Invasion

Lilly's words are cut short as I turn and wrap my arms around her, pulling her tight. I may not usually be given to such impulsive actions, but I just want to be close to her, even if it's the last time I'll be able to.

ED: ....Aaah...

28.jpg

All the other students have retreated to their dorms and homes, only the ruffling of leaves in the breeze making any sound whatsoever.

ED: Please make her...

30.jpg

ED: ...stay.

29.jpg

Her hand hesitates, wanting neither to leave nor to stay on my features.

ED: HISAO SAY SOMETHING GODDAMIT!

31.jpg

She's putting up a brave show, but her slight trembling gives her away. Lilly may be able to control herself well, but even she can't hold her composure together now.

ED: please. You can't let it end like this.

32.jpg

This is the woman I've come to love, but also the one who in all too short a time will leave the country forever.

33.jpg

hi.jpg
It's okay. You've got your own life to lead, after all.

ED: That's IT? THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY? WHY CAN'T YOU TELL HER TO STAY? ISN'T THIS IMPORTANT AS WELL?

We walk up to the hallway in the girl's dorms hand in hand, our emotions by now largely quelled. Nevertheless, our hands grip each other's much more tightly than before. Faint, muffled voices can be heard from Lilly's room, the origins of which aren't difficult to guess. The moment she opens the door, Hanako bursts through and wraps her arms around Lilly, taking her obviously by surprise.

34.jpg

lilly.jpg
Ha-hanako?
han.jpg
I'm going to miss you... Lilly...

As expected, she's on the verge of tears. Lilly gently rubs Hanako's hair with her hand in response, then pulls back and gives a warm, reassuring smile. Looking beyond Hanako, Akira can be seen getting up from the side of Lilly's bed and scratching her head. Her eyes turn from Lilly and Hanako to me, a stilted, weak smile hanging on her face. I try to return a more genuinely happy look, but the result is probably the same.

akira.jpg
So, everything set? Managed to hold back from killing Shizune?

The comment draws an amused giggle from her sister.

lilly-laugh.jpg
Yes, I have everything in order, and yes, I managed not to. Have you packed everything you need?
akira.jpg
Got the two bags right here, but there's still stuff left at the Hakamichis' home. I can pick that up while we wait for tomorrow evening's flight, though.

Akira gives the two large black traveling bags on the floor a hearty pat. She probably came to help pack and make sure everything was in order on Lilly's end, before going together with her.

han.jpg
Lilly... will you be okay... over there?
lilly.jpg
I'll be all right, I assure you. I'll have Akira looking after me as well, and you know that she's reliable.
han.jpg
But...
lilly.jpg
Don't worry, Hanako. I have your phone number after all, so we can stay in touch. With Akira's help, I could send you things over the Internet as well.
akira.jpg
Hey, don't use me just because you won't learn how to use a computer.

Hanako and Lilly both giggle briefly, the mood lightening ever so little.

lilly.jpg
That goes fore you too though, Hisao. I promise I'll contact you once I'm in Scotland.
hi.jpg
I know. I'll be looking forward to it.

Her offer may be kind, but we both know that this is tantamount to breaking up. Neither of us has any illusions as to how well we'd manage a long-distance relationship. With nary a word of prompting, the four of us begin the long, solemn walk to the school gate.

Outside the gates...

The numerous lamps scattered around the Yamaku grounds fail to do much more than provide pinpoints of light in an otherwise dense darkness. A car parked on the road just outside the school grounds comes into view, its shining black exterior reflecting the dimly lit lamps of Yamaku. I call out to Akira in an effort to alleviate a bit the heavy atmosphere.

hi.jpg
That you car? What kind is it?
akira.jpg
Don't know much about cars, do you? It's a Lancer Evo. Solid and speedy.

Well, it's not as if her comment on my knowledge is off the mark. I've never really taken an interest in them. She gives a small sigh.

akira-sad.jpg
She's been good. Pity I have to part with it tomorrow, just like the summerhouse. You guys were the last to visit it before it changed hands.

Turning back from my rather faulty attempt at small talk, I glance at Hanako and Lilly, following behind us.

35.jpg

It's a depressing sight.

akira-sad.jpg
So... I guess this is it.
lilly-sad.jpg
Indeed.

Although the time for everyone to say their farewells is now, nobody really wants to take the first step. It's as if the longer nobody speaks, the better the chances of them simply not leaving.

han.jpg
Lilly...do you really have to go?
lilly-sad.jpg
I'm sorry, Hanako. I won't be leaving you forever; I can still call you. Hisao will still be here as well.

I nod, but Hanako just clutches all the tighter to Lilly's arms. After spending so long without anyone to call family, it must be excruciating to have to say goodbye to the one person that was as close to a mother as anyone could have been in her life. Lilly lets out a long, sad breath. All Akira and I can really do is stand quietly on the sidelines, since the only person that can solve this would be Lilly herself. Eventually, Lilly pulls her arm from Hanako's grip and holds both of her shoulders gently, a much more decisive way of adddress than I've ever seen Lilly take with her.

lilly-sad.jpg
Hanako, remember when we first met in the snowy trenches of Karelia?

ED: AHAHAHAH akfhkahfakjhfajg *cries*

lilly.jpg
When you first entered my room for the first time after overhearing my consoling of a friend, you didn't say a single word for the entire night. Even as I poured you tea and talked, you sat silently and simply listened to what I said.
lilly.jpg
It took many quiet meetings like that before you began to open up to me, but as you began to, I felt some of the happiest moments I've ever felt.
lilly-sad.jpg
I didn't become your friend because I pitied you, Hanako. I became your friend because I knew you were hiding not just from me, but from everyone.
lilly-sad.jpg
Your ambitions, personality, interests, tastes...I didn't know any of them, neither did anybody else.
lilly.jpg
As you showed yourself to me though, I begin to realize the person that you were, and became sure that our meeting was a very special moment.
han.jpg
But I...

Lilly cuts her words short as she brings her hand to Hanako's head and brushes her fringe to the side, gently pressing her lips to Hanako's forehead. As she pulls her head back, leaving Hanako all but speechless and her eyes moist, Lilly beams a wide smile.

lilly.jpg
I believe you are a very beautiful person, Hanako, and I am certain that you will become a strong and confident woman.
lilly.jpg
You are a very dear friend, and someone whom I love very much. Just like Hisao, I will never forget you for as long as I live.
lilly.jpg
I may be leaving, but you have your own life here to lead. Just as I do, you have your own friends and hobbies, and your own hopes after graduation. I want you to devote yourself to them, even after I'm not around any more.
lilly.jpg
That is why I think you will be okay. Because you are your own self, with your own life. You yourself proved that to me.

Hanako lowers her head in embarrassment, but nods as she does so.

han.jpg
I... I understand...I know I have to say goodbye...I know you have to go your own way...
han.jpg
But...thank you, Lilly. For everything.
lilly-sad.jpg
Thank you, Hanako. Will you be okay?

There are a few seconds of silence before the answer comes.

han.jpg
I will.

Lilly smiles, undoubtedly at least partly in relief.

lilly.jpg
That makes me very happy, then. Goodbye.
han.jpg
Goodbye... Lilly.
lilly.jpg
And farewell to you as well, Hisao.
hi.jpg
Goodbye. I'll miss you.

ED: A.....

She pauses for a moment before walking up to me. Her right hand, outstretched in front of her, takes a hold of my shoulder. Her left hand slowly and daintily reaches towards my face, taking my cheek in her palm. For a while she simply holds my face, her fingers just slightly moving to take in its contours. Usually her hand would be warm when doing such a thing, but the night's air has given her skin a cool edge. I'm not sure how long we stay like this, her clouded eyes pointed just below my own as she wears a wistful, almost distant smile. Eventually, though, I take her cold hand in mine.

37.jpg

hi.jpg
I hope you have a long and happy life, Lilly, no matter where you might go.
lilly.jpg
Thank you. I'll make sure to.

She takes a long, trembling breath before turning slightly towards Akira's direction.

38.jpg

akira-sad.jpg
Okay.

With a nod, she takes Lilly's hand and begins to guide her to the car parked outside the gates. They both walk slowly and deliberately, as if their movements had been rehearsed in advance.

ED: ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :rage:

It's strange to feel like this now, watching somebody leave Yamaku. The feeling of unease I have now reminds me of the first time I walked through those black wrought iron gates, that always looked far too pompous for what they were. As they leave, all of us know full well that our lives are irreversibly changing. I'd always told myself that I just have to take life as it comes, but everything's changing so fast, so suddenly. In the end, Lilly's an irreplaceable part of the lives of both Hanako and I. The noise of Akira opening the passenger door for Lilly brings me out of my thoughts, her hand waving back as Lilly gets in.

akira.jpg
See you guys! Take care of yourselves!
lilly.jpg
Goodbye Hanako, goodbye Hisao!

Hanako's hand quickly shoots up, her face brightened by her enthusiastic farewell.

han.jpg
Goodbye Lilly! Goodbye!
hi.jpg
See you, Akira, and goodbye Lilly!

The door shuts as we all put our best happy farewell faces, Akira getting into the car herself and starting it up in short measure. Lilly's hand can just be seen waving through the tinted windows, both of our hands waving high as well. Just as every other time I've done such things, I can't quite work out precisely why I, or Hanako, wave to her given that she'd never see us doing so. But it doesn't matter... Even after that black, shiny car goes down the hill and disappears into the dark night, we carry on waving and seeing Akira and Lilly off.

And then... they're gone. A strange stillness takes over as our hands return to our sides. I don't quite know what I should do or how I should feel. In the end, we just stand there silently staring down at where the car disappeared from sight.

han.jpg
Goodbye... Lilly.

All I can do in response to her quiet, mournful goodbye is to place a hand on her shoulder. She looks at me for a few moments before looking back down the hill, secure in the knowledge that I'm still around for her. What we'll do from now doesn't seem all that uncertain. We all have our own ambitions now, just as Lilly said. But even so, it feels like there's a certain missing part in both of our lives now. Something that can never be replaced.

39.jpg

ED: Tomorrow. The end. That's it. Fuck this game. Tomorrow. Final Update. Saturday.

corvus

Arcane
I take it you're too sick of this shit to do another girl after? :M

Random

Arcane
Patron
Oh god... what kind of depraved people would mistake these girls for real women? For the love of God, they are pictures and text. And the text isn't even that good.

What bothers me (and I hate to complain) is that Hisao can fix this whole situation with one simple sentence:

"Lilly can I go with you to Scotland?"

Oh yeah. Moving to a country you don't know where they speak a language you don't know while you're entering university, just to stay with your teenage love. Sensible.

I agree with you on a real-world example. However this is a game so I can handle it not being realistic. Also Hisao is a socially retarded so it's not like his life can get any worse in that way.

Then again how can I be one to judge that?

:oops:,
The Vault Dweller

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hahaha. The writers actually decide to waste massive amounts of space to resolve sub-plots that absolutely no one will care about, like that useless Lily vs Shizune one. Are they actually trying to annoy the reader? This is so terrible, it's amusing.

I don't know why you're upset though RK47. Hisao is a stupid dick. He's just getting what's coming to him. That seems fair. Not sure if this is supposed to be the bad ending. I call it the makes-sense ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom