Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Katawa Shoujo: I love you just the way you are...

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Don't worry RK47, we have games that you can LP to rid yourself of this cancer.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The next day...

The snap of my mobile phone's closing contrasts with the ambient chatter and noise audible even in the hallway outside the library. It's the first day of summer holidays. A time that had perpetually seemed so far away, and yet it's now not only here but also made painfully obvious by the students, or lack thereof, left in the school. Most students have returned home to spend the holidays with relatives by now. The few that are left are mostly chatting between themselves, usually about what they intend to do in the coming weeks. It makes me feel like the odd one out, for taking advantage of the school library being open for the first several days of the holidays.

Ostensibly it's for the students to drop off any books they've borrowed and have yet to return, and for those who'll have their parents pick them up, to help pass the time until they get whisked away. Thanks to the recent lengthy phone call from my parents, which had so rudely woken me from my sleeping on a beanbag at the back of the library, I'm now in the latter category. Sliding my phone back into my pocket, this time remembering to set it to silent, I go back into the quiet and wholly placid room.

01.jpg

Hanako especially has been noticeably more quiet than usual since yesterday's happenings, but I can't really blame her. It wasn't just me that depended on that person, after all. I quietly walk back to the beanbag near her where I'd sat before, being doubly careful not to make any unnecessary noise. The soft puff it gives as the bag takes my weight makes Hanako's eyes flick towards me, but only for a second. I get the feeling that Hanako's been quiet only partly out of sadness following Lilly's departure. Rather, she seems more thoughtful and measured than I'd expected; perhaps due to her desire of working out how to deal with Lilly's leaving rather than just being depressed over it. It makes me a little proud of her.

hi.jpg
Hey, Hanako?
han.jpg
Y-yeah?

ED: Wanna fuck?

hi.jpg
Still going ahead with your idea of traveling?

She gives a determined nod.

han.jpg
I'll be starting in a day or two. Naomi's decided to come with me, too.
hi.jpg
Wow, quick start. Where're you two headed to first?
han.jpg
I think we're going to start by going north...then loop down and go southward.
hi.jpg
So...Hokkaido first?

ED: *winces*

She gives another nod, more tentative than the last. The significance for that place is not lost on either of us.

hi.jpg
Do you know how you're going to handle the travelling expenses and accomodations?

ED: Gawd, man. She's 18. Fuck's sake.

han.jpg
Yeah, I've worked everything out. I think it should be okay. Naomi says she has her side worked out, too.
hi.jpg
You know that if you need anything you can just call, right? I gave you my number before. Any time of the day is fine.

ED: This is getting desperate.

She gives a smile, which in itself feels like a small personal victory.

han.jpg
I know. Th-thanks...Hisao.

ED: Hey, I'm happy for you Lil' Bacon.

Maybe Lilly was right. Although I may offer Hanako any help I can possibly give, I feel as if I know she doesn't need it. She really has grown.

02.jpg

03.jpg

yuuko.jpg
Um...excuse me..

The two of us look up at the awkwardly fidgeting figure in front of us. Some things never change.

yuuko.jpg
It's getting close to closing time, so um...

Oh, right. I'd forgotten that the library closes earlier during the holidays. Hanako and I both get up and dust ourselves off, placing our books back on the shelf behind us. The fact that our tastes in reading material have a fair amount of overlap is useful at times.

ED: Maybe both of you should hook up. Just saying.

With a bow to Yuuko to apologize for taking so much time, Hanako takes her leave of us.

han.jpg
See you tomorrow, Hisao.
hi.jpg
Bye.

And with that, she walks out of the library.

yuuko.jpg
She's a quiet person, isn't she?

I suppose I should be surprised at a staff member sharing personal opinions like this, but after knowing Yuuko for a while it's largely expected. Our relationship is more personal, rather than one with her acting as an authority figure.

hi.jpg
Yeah, I think that's just how she is. She's got a lot more confidence in herself these days, though.
yuuko.jpg
I don't know her as well as you do, but I think I agree. It's nice to see her talking to people here; she never used to to that before.
hi.jpg
Hey, Yuuko... you know about Lilly's leaving, right?
yuuko.jpg
She told me herself a few days ago. It must be hard, leaving everyone behind like she is.

She quickly looks back to me after she says this, probably remembering that I went to her for advice on the relationship between Lilly and I before.

yuuko.jpg
Are you going to be okay?

ED: Eh, a little depressed, but I'm sure some nice, cheerful LPs will fix me right up. Could use something manly and full of killings to balance the emotional engagements.

That's... a difficult question. It's something I'd rather not think about it now, though, given more pressing issues.

hi.jpg
Something seems kind of off about this whole deal, don't you think?

ED: No shit, Sherlock. You let her go. What if you had objected?

Yuuko appears to think for a while, absent-mindedly scrunching her face up in a variety of creative ways as she does so.

yuuko.jpg
I don't think I really know her well enough to make that kind of judgement. I'm sorry I can't be more help.
hi.jpg
Nah, that's fine. I'm just sort of thinking aloud.

I give a deep sigh and scratch my head in frustration.

hi.jpg
There's just so much stuff happening at once that I have no control over...it feels like I'm being swamped.
yuuko.jpg
I think everyone goes through times like that. What's important is to concentrate on what you can do, rather than what you can't do. At least, that's how I see it. if I didn't think like that, I don't think I'd be able to manage my life as it is.

ED: Sound advice.

She says it with a smile and a light tone, but her words are far from any kind of joke. Being pulled between two jobs as she is, just to hopefully make enough money not only to live, but also for university, must be exhausting. Perhaps that's why, coming from her, this feels like it has more meaning than if it had come from most others.

hi.jpg
I guess you've got a point there. Thank you for your advice once again, Yuuko.

She bows deeply and smiles again, before making her way back to the counter where she spends so much of her time.

Later that evening...

The tiny wings of the cardboard crane in my fingers are only just visible in the dim light of my room, just a little of the moonlight being able to peek through the curtains and around their edges.

04.jpg

ED: :(

It feels like a lot's happened since Lilly folded this, but at the same time it feels like very little has changed. Compared to everyone else, I'm back to square one. I might have a new-found idea of where I want to go in life, but that's hardly something that affects me now. Hanako changed, I know that much. If anything, she just makes me feel I've got no excuse to be like this, considering her previous situation. Lilly, though...

I turn the bird in my fingers another way, looking at it from yet another angle.

Music: Rogue Spear

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

ED: It's too late man...

08.jpg

ED: ..what are you going to do?

With an increasingly angry feeling washing over me, I turn over and set the crane back on the desk next to my clock, the place where it has lived since that day when she folded it for me. Since that day when she herself said that my burdens need not be my own. The obnoxious bright red numerals on my alarm clock shine through the darkness of the room onto my tired eyes.

ED: Oh ...for fuck's sake.

Ten o'clock. Evening. Curfew will be soon.

me.jpg
I wonder...

Akira mentioned they'd be leaving this evening. I've no idea exactly when their flight is... but that means there's still a chance, however small, that they might not have already left. Adrenaline starts to move through my body as I sit up on my bed, my eyes suddenly wide with possibility.

ED: NO YOU STAY THE FUCK DOWN. THERE'S BEEN ENOUGH BRAIN DAMAGE INFLICTED.

There's no guarantee they haven't left, indeed it's likely that they already have, but there's also a chance they haven't, however small it may be.

ED: Wait a minute, there's also a chance you won't make it in time, tiring yourself over nothing, wallowing in despair and suffer a final, life-ending heart attack in the process. Count me in. Let's go with a bang!

me.jpg
Just this one, just as I should have before...

*CLICK*

I stand up and rush over to my cabinet, throwing out some clothes as fast as I can and sliding them on in quick succession. Each second that goes by is a second I can't regain, a second that may mean the difference between catching them and osing them forever. Even if I fail, I have to try. I can't let her leave everything behind without even trying to stop her. Without, just this once, being there for her. With the last of my clothes on, I hastily grab the phone off the desk. Luckily the number for a local taxi company is still in my call history.

09.jpg

Next Update's gonna take a while, I'm heading out. It's Saturday.

:salute: It's been an honor.

Absalom

Lilly gives me a disapproving grimace, silently radiating her strong feelings of displeasure in my general direction.

ED: What the hell? Fuck off.

She can be quite scary when she wants to be, though thankfully that isn't often.

How can a teen aged blind girl be scary? Lol pussy. Also, I love how there's computers for everyone else, but the visually impaired get a shitty old typewriter. School for the disabled, indeed.

RK47

Patron
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

10.jpg

It may not be curfew just yet, but it's precariously close. If there were a guard around they'd no doubt have some questions for me, but it looks like I've managed to come out just before they arrive, or they're around a corner.

11.jpg

The lamps of the courtyard, dim as they are, provide just enough illumination to light the way and prevent me from tripping over. The buildings themselves take on a rustic, almost antique-looking edge when I glance at them.

13.jpg

Leaving the gates behind me, I pull up to a stop just before the taxi. Parked just as Akira's car had been, it's gaudy and brightly lit sign looks out of place in the quiet country backdrop.

15.jpg

By the time the taxi pulls up after its trip at maddeningly casual speed, it's well and truly deep into the night. The house is truly enormous, its sheer size much larger than I'd expected and ominously still. Fearing the worst, I ask the drive to stay just in case my efforts are for naught.

A single press on the fancy intercom system outside the gate produces a short electronic melody in the otherwise silent road. It's not long before a somewhat deep, gruff voice can be heard from it.

"This is the Hakamichi residence. Please state your name and why you're bothering us this late."

I press on despite inwardly wincing at the reasonable annoyance audible in his voice.

me.jpg
It's Hisao Nakai. I was hoping to meet Lilly or Akira, if they're still here.

Surprisingly, I manage to summon quite some energy to my voice, enough to make the other side of the intercom silent. A few seconds pass, but just before I press the button again and ask what's going on, a light turns on outside the front door. I strain my eyes to try and make out who is coming through, but as he comes past a large parked car with fishing rods sticking out the back, his identity becomes clear. His face is typically placid and emotionless as she saunters up to the gate. He's still childlike in his mannerisms, despite his demeanor. With the press of a few buttons from behind the fence, the gate slowly opens.

16.jpg

ED: Help us, Obi Wan Tranny, you're our only hope.

I think this is he most emotion I've ever heard from his voice, not that it would be hard to reach that mark.

me.jpg
Akira told me that she and Lilly would be staying here before they left for their flight. I need to talk to Lilly, just one last time. Are they still here?
hide.jpg

The look on his face says everything.

Music: Boneyard

I failed. I was too late. The one time when I actually needed to act quickly, and...

hide.jpg
Actually... it's possible..
me.jpg
What? What is it?

He's a bit taken aback by my fervor, but I can't help it at this point.

hide.jpg
They left not long ago; only a few minutes before you arrived, in fact. If you go straight to the airport, you might be able to... Hisao?!

I dart back towards the waiting taxi, grabbing what little money is left in my wallet as I go.

me.jpg
Thanks, Hideaki!

With that, I take a seat and in short order bark out my destination.

17.jpg

With the road solidly blocked by taxis and other cars, dropping off passengers and picking others in the time they have to wait, we ended up having to stop almost a block away. But that's in the past now. What matters is reaching Lilly. One foot hits the ground, the other quickly following without the slightest thought, as if my legs have taken on a life of their own and all my mind can do is concentrate on the view ahead of me. Just one glimpse of that long hair of hers. That long, yellow hair that was the same color as the wheat that stretched as far as the eye could see.

In the end, I depended on Lilly, just like Hanako did. Even after we started going out, it still doesn't feel like she really ever let herself depend on me. Except for one moment.

18.jpg

That one moment where we held each other tightly on that bright yellow field. At that time she must have feared losing me just as she did everyone else. That's why, just this once... The night air wraps around me, draining every last remnant of warmth out of my body to the extent that it feels more like midwinter than a summer night. My fingers, my hands, my feet...they all feel increasingly cold. The sound of the passing crowds is reduced to no more than a background hum while the sound of my shoes hitting the pavement echoes loudly, every step surging towards the person I have to catch. Forced by my chest tightening in response to the cold of the night, I rest an arm over it to try and settle it down.

19.jpg

When the airport comes into view, though, I realize this feeling as one I've felt before.

me.jpg
Not now... of all the times for this, please not now.

I take a gulp and soldier on regardless, pushing my body as far as it will go. Sweat pours off me as I hurtle forward, my shoulder hitting someone's side and my mind suddenly flooting with emotions and memories. I continue on without an apology. I have to keep moving now. If I stop, I'm not sure I could begin again, and even if I could it would all be for naught if I'm not in time.

*Bump*

I hit another person, then another, offering little resistance to getting bounced about. My feet feel numb. My arms are losing all feeling. My chest forces me to hunch over awkwardly, tightening ever more.
heart.gif

That afternoon in the snow...that time when my life irreversibly changed... images of Iwanako and that damned letter flash over and over in my mind, the first love I'd lost thanks to my condition.

21.jpg

I can't let that happen again. I don't care what happens to me any more, I just need to see her one last time.

ED: Y'know, you could've avoided this melodramatic bullshit if you simply called her or Akira's phone number before coming over?

me.jpg
...There!

22.jpg

A sliver of yellow and white comes into view some distance down the road, her figure silhouetted by the lights emanating from the airport entrance.

me.jpg
Lilly! Lilly! Stop, please! Lilly! Come on Lilly, I know your hearing's far beyond nor-

*THUMP*

23.jpg

me.jpg
Gah!

My view suddenly spins out of control and ends up on the ground, my body haphazardly sprawled after hitting someone and stumbling over.
heart.gif

Before I can assess the damage, an unbelievable pain ignites in my body. All my thoughts are blanked as I curl up and frantically clutch at my chest.

"Hey are you okay? That was a really bad fall."

This pain... I can't...

heart.gif

me.jpg
Argh...aaaaarghhh!

heart.gif

Any sharp knock could do me in. Any over-exertion. I thought I could overcome my limits this once....

"Something's wrong with him!"

heart.gif

"What's the matter, are..."

heart.gif

The voices of those gathering around me are gradually replaced by a loud ringing in my ears. By now I'm unable to move my head, my eyes turn upwards to see the mute moving of their lips.

heart.gif

24.jpg

With one last effort, I turn my head down the road towards the airport entrance that's casting its light on me.

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Good riddance, that retard dies, everyone is happy. What about Saya no Uta? Well, King Arthur 2 is not bad, but...

corvus

Arcane
Man, this LP got pretty retarded at times but the ending was worth it. A King Arthur 2 LP would be cool imo

Was that really the end?? LoLWAT

I found this on the net...

697.jpg

Now I'd totally expect KW to be mixed with all sorts of weeaboo stuff like anime and JRPGs, but WRPGs are totally unexpected. In fact it's so unlikely I'd expect this to be made by someone from the Codex even.

Also those comparisons are damn true.

Of course given the game was made by westerners and in English (only having the game setting be in Japan) I'm probably misreading it's audience.

:thumbsup: ,
The Vault Dweller

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Is that really what happened? Shit, I haven't been following this LP from the Act 2, so I don't know how hard the protagonist phailed, but I somehow doubt even a total wuss would deserve such fate. If that was the actual ending, that would actually be nice trolling. :troll: Now I am curious how it really ends. But not enough to "play" the "game". :P

If that's the real ending, that's fucking awesome.

If not, Awesome LARP, Great Job! to you bro. I was waiting for The Big One™ to happen to our profaganist.

RK47

Patron
:lol: you played it? Wow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom