Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kathy Rain - Director's Cut

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
Most of the sales came via a Humble Monthly Bundle in November, I think? Not sure how much income that generates. My sense is that as bundles go, Humble Bundles are pretty lucrative for developers.

Bundles are fairly lucrative, but the best thing about them is that they make you look REALLLLY good on SteamSpy. :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is on sale this week (till the 17th) for $5.06 (US) on STEAM. Just a heads up for people who were probably waiting for a sale (like me).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished this a couple of days ago. Very much enjoyed it. Charming characters and setting. Felt a bit Twin Peaks. The ending sucked though, but that could be because I'm too stupid to get it. But the story got me real hooked right up until the end. At first I thought we were going to meet Mulder & Scully in the forest :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just finished this. For the most part, I did like playing it. I really liked the setting (1995, no cell phones, pseudo supernatural etc...).

Game design wise, this was really well done. The different "hubs" where you could search and do other things were nice. Interface is really well done too, and very consistent.

Puzzles aren't too hard at all too. If you are familiar with Adventure Games, you probably won't have any problems. Also puzzles where you interact with a computer and have to actually type stuff in, always love that. I actually got stuck on this VERY EASY puzzle, where they literally provide clues ON WHAT YOU NEED TO DO, ALL OVER THE SCENE. It was so logical and obvious, but it did include a new "mechanic" I was just getting used too. I couldn't figure it out for a long time..... :lol:

I liked that it was mostly an investigative murder/mystery type game, that then get's weirder and weirder. But the inclusion of psychotropics, gives it that, is it really something Supernatural or was this a hallucination situation/feel. I thought that was a good way to do that.

The inclusion of swearing, really felt off and "forced". Like they were trying to make sure this game was more edgier than most Adventure games.

While the "entire" story is basically bat shit crazy (I kinda liked that actually)... The "emotional" stuff you need to empathize with CHAR NAME just is really hard to pull off, and just comes off as really awkward. You really have to write that very well and weave it very well into the story and plot, and as such a sort of, shortish game, you just aren't going to pull it off effectively. BUT, I got the basic idea of what they were trying to say/do, and just continued on.

For the most part, I think they have a decent setting and cast of characters, and if they do another one in this series/setting, I'd more than likely buy it. And many of the puzzles were actually fun, and something new. I liked that.

This isn't something you need to rush out and play, just maybe pick up on some sale if you find the setting interest you.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just played this over the weekend. I like it a lot. Nice graphics, good voice acting, great atmosphere (90s HELL YEAH ;) ), cool, logical puzzles that are well set in-theme of detective work. The game is admittedly very easy (I only got stuck twice, and not for very long too), but I do not mind that at all, since I am not a big fan of moon logic and obnoxious game-stopping puzzles in adventure games. I was a bit underwhelmed by the ending, but having read oasis789 explanation/speculation, it makes much more sense now. Looking forward to the Hoping for a sequel.

Also, I might now have a slight crush on Kathy. Do not mention this to my wife.

Verdict: grab it while it is on sale ($3.50 right now - great value).

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was playing the last chapter right when MicoSelva made the above post. Spooky!!

Agree, it's good.
incline.png
Dragged on a bit long for my short attention span but very satisfying to play. Recommend it be played in few sittings, close together. There's a lot of story here and no journal, so playing it over the course of a couple weeks like I did runs the risk of forgetting something important, leading to shit being harder than it's supposed to be. Sad to admit I got pissed off enough to consult a walkthrough at one point (Conwell Woods).
decline.png

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just finished this and enjoyed it very much. The only real critique I have is that it's too easy. My adventure game skills are pretty low and I didn't get stuck once. Everything else is great (characters, story, atmosphere, setting, etc.). I might also have developed a slight crush on Kathy.

Here's hoping we see more of her in the future.

Jazz_

Arcane
Finished this today, I thoroughly enjoyed it, good writing, very good voice acting and believable characters (with some exceptions), nice humour, it's very Gabriel Knight-esque in tone as JarlFrank said, and there are tons of references to GK, there's even a puzzle toward the end that's lifted straight from ''Gabriel Knight: Sins of The Father'', I mean:
navigating the woods using a thermometer, you did the same thing in GK just using a tracker
The puzzles are very easy however. I look forward to their next game, it looks promising: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/16/kathy-rain-developer-announces-whispers-of-a-machine/

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane
Just beat this, ending certainly was a bit rushed, don't think I really get how exactly Kathy saved everyone. But a fun game, well worth the $6 CAD I paid for it. Puzzles weren't that bad, nothing too hard (granted I was impatient and cheated with the padlock at the end). Certainly hope they'll make a sequel.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
It’s a collaboration with The Samaritan Paradox developer Petter Ljungqvist.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this here bit, TSP was a questionably designed game
I don't think this collaboration will necessarily end up being bad; it looks like Petter's contribution is more on the art side, and his art has a nice painterly style. Too early to make judgements anyway.

When it comes to game design / story telling, I'm sure the two developers will keep each other in check. At least that's how it works when I start testing early builds of games I've worked on with Radiant. I start asking questions like "Why can't I do this?" and it usually ends up being a more interactive experience overall. Hopefully it will be the same here.

Wapcaplet

Educated
For anyone who hasn't picked up Kathy Rain yet, you can get a Steam key in the $1/€1/£0.89 tier of Fanatical's Nemesis 6 bundle, along with 3 other games you probably have no interest in. The bundle offer ends 13 days from now.

Ivan

Arcane
As others have said, I also had a great time with Kathy Rain. Not too sure how long it took me but the game's length felt just right. It's definitely on the easy side, as most of the game's hints are built into Kathy's observations of the environment. The voice acting was very well done, I particularly liked the Grandma. I thought the game had nice art direction and the music was effective, reminded me of the Twin Peaks score at times.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Director's Cut announced

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1395030/view/3064104783594981849

Kathy Rain: Director’s Cut Announcement
Welcome to Conwell Springs. We hope you enjoy your stay!

We’re thrilled to announce the Director’s Cut of the award-winning adventure Kathy Rain — the new and definite way to experience the rise of an iconic detective.

In the almost five years since Kathy Rain launched, we’ve been blown away by the reception of the game and the passion of the community. Thanks to everyone that has played the game so far, given feedback and shared their experience!

All of this has led us to our mission to create a refined and expanded version of Kathy Rain, created from the ground up in a modern, up-to-date game engine.

We have taken everything we’ve learned during these years to give you the most complete realization of Kathy’s journey yet. Once again, a detective is born...

For both new and returning visitors to Conwell Springs, there’s lots to look forward to...
  • Extended storyline with a prolonged ending, hundreds of lines of additional dialogue, and multiple new areas to explore.
  • Several new major puzzle chains along with many small additions and tweaks of existing puzzles.
  • Enlarged game environments to fill up the entire screen without any black bars on the sides.
  • Countless visual improvements, such as more character animations, better lighting/shadows and extra weather effects.
  • Streamlined mouse controls with an intuitive single click interface.
  • Controller support done right. Lean back in your chair and take smooth direct control of Kathy, with no messy cursor getting in the way.
  • Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz.
  • Five brand new motorcycle designs to unlock and customize the Katmobile with.
We’ve still got more to show of Kathy Rain: Director’s Cut, so stay tuned. We’d appreciate you wishlisting the game to show both us and Steam that you’re looking forward to playing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me out here guys. I liked the Blackwell games, Technobabylon, and Gemini Rue but is this going to be another visually and stylistically good game with massive SJW hipster naval gazing writing? I got kind of sick of that with Disco Elysium's disingenuous "Tee hee isn't communism so bad it's tragic BUT MRA'S AND ALL THOSE RIGHT WING PEOPLE ARE THE FUCKING WORST FOR REAL!"

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Kathy Rain? No, not really. Like she's a sassy biker chick or whatever, but it's not that like archetype hasn't existed forever. I liked the non-DC, so we'll see how much this "extended storyline and new puzzles" helps the game out.

Terra

Cipher
Will buy, liked the original release a lot so more content is very welcome. Still hoping for a sequel in the same style one day (don't pull a Technobab 2 on us, stick with the same gorgeous pixel art style).

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Yeah, Kathy Rain was really solid, except the ending which was absolutely terrible in my opinion.

A lot of point & click games fail in their ending IMO. It is hard to pull off.

Last edited:

Maxie

What many adventure games fail at which isn't the case in Gabriel Knight clones like Kathy Rain is leaving the first puzzle hub and opening up the world

In KR it doesn't happen because of the day by day formula reusing locations and at least suggesting some degree of change, as opposed to a classical Lucas Arts theme park of puzzle screens

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom