Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ken Levine's next game is "open world-ish scifi-ish RPG"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shock: Levine’s New Game Is Open Worldish Sci-Fiish RPG
By Alec Meer on January 28th, 2015 at 12:00 pm.

levine21.jpg

Sometime BioShock boss Ken Levine has opened the first tears to his new development dimension. He effectively closed his long-time studio Irrational last year in favour of working on smaller-scale projects, but still within the protective fortress of 2K. At the time he talked about making narrative-led games with more replayability, and while last night’s sudden flurry of updates is nothing like a reveal, he has a least given out a few big hints, together with a pledge for more open development than was the case on the spoiler-vulnerable BioShocks. What he’s got planned is a open worldish (“but not necessarily outdoors”) RPG, sci-fi, PC, probably first-person, chapter-like structure, brand new setting, add “ins” rather than add-ons, and a Passion System. Missus.

OK, this is going to be a bit of a messy read I’m afraid, as Ken Levine decided to give away the first details of his new thing on Twitter, and his, ah, unusual reply formatting doesn’t help matters, but let’s just do the blast first of all:

Not sure how clear a picture that paints, though on paper it’s an exciting approach. And perhaps a necessary one, in terms of kicking against the rigidity of BioShock Infinite and Burial At Sea. The add-in/Legos talk suggests to me that in-game conversation, choice and consequence could expand in scope as more is added to the game. He references Civ repeatedly, and that’s a game in which the expansion pack model is to still be playing essentially the same game but with more possible things to do within it. I’m definitely interested in an RPG which takes that approach: different quests, different conversations and different outcomes from the same places. But I doubt the game I’m forming a nebulous idea of in my head will be anything like whatever this actually is. Love, hate or be a well-adjusted human being and have mixed feelings about the BioShock games, it was usually very hard to know exactly what they were going to be until they were right in front us.

Also: it’s hard not to let the mind wander towards System Shock at talk of “not necessarily outdoors” sci-fi roleplaying, isn’t? I am probably entirely wrong-headed here.

A little more can be gleaned from his earlier GDC talk about ‘narrative Legos’ as an approach to systemic world design:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ERMAHGERD it's a totally new universe!

Just like Bioshock Infinite was a totally new universe until he realised he could cash in on the franchise and then suddenly they were the same because quantumz and lighthouses.

Constants and variables. The setting changes, but Levine stays a pretentious douche.

There's always a lighthouse so you can conveniently connect to other universes if needed.

There's always a man trying to look like David Duchovny.

There's always a city that's even more implausible and stylised than the last one.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's an erroneous example of a non-zero sum game. A non-zero sum game would game a game in which either player could potentially mine an infinite number of blue moons or pink hearts, for example. In his example the number of blue moons and pink hearts in the economy stays the same, thus it is in fact a zero-sum game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Until Levine doesn't give proof he abandoned his jewish ways, I won't take anything he says seriously.

Jozoz

Prophet
Honestly the term RPG has been butchered so much lately that I'm not even sure what to expect, but hey at least the term choice and consequence is mentioned. Let's see if it will be actual C&C though and not just superficial shit.

cjbulanda

Literate
I'm happy because a sci fi action RPG sounds cool, I'm sad because I know Levine won't pull it off.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Levine sure is a one-trick pony.
SS2, Thief, Bioshock - I count at least 3.
On topic: Not much to see here apart from buzz buzz yet
SS2 and Bioshock: same thing

Thief was a lifetime ago and he wasn't the only or even the most important cook in that kitchen.

I see. Is, say, Tim Burton a one-trick pony, too?
I loved Burton in the 80s and 90s, and some of his 00s stuff, but the guy's been on autopilot for a long time now.

imweasel

Cool.

Will it also have tape recorders in every room with characters telling their life story?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Levine sure is a one-trick pony.
SS2, Thief, Bioshock - I count at least 3.
On topic: Not much to see here apart from buzz buzz yet
SS2 and Bioshock: same thing
Same in which sense? That you shoot at stuff with guns? That you are all on your own in a hostile environment with dense atmosphere from the start to the beginning? If that's what you're implying, i'd be more than happy if he did his one trick again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Same in which sense? That you shoot at stuff with guns? That you are all on your own in a hostile environment with dense atmosphere from the start to the beginning? If that's what you're implying, i'd be more than happy if he did his one trick again.
Bioshock is a consolized, streamlined remake of SS2, yes. Indoor Open-worldish sci-fi RPG? Sounds like he's making Bioshock with NPC interaction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom