Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ken Silverman's BUILD2 Engine

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

After two attempts, Ken Silverman began writing a successor to the popular Build engine while mentoring a smart local kid in 2006. It eventually became BUILD2 and he continued working on it until 2011.

http://advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/build2.htm

In the summer of 2006, I was mentoring a smart local kid how to do 3D graphics on the CPU. What started as a simple rotating texture-mapped cube turned into a full blown successor to the Build Engine. By 2007, Build2 was far enough along to be used at a summer camp. At the camp, the kids signed up to create their own 3D games. The kids got to learn something and make their own 3D games, while I got free beta testing and a negligible salary for 2 weeks. It was a tough job, but it was rewarding in the end. So I continued doing it for 2 more summers. Then the camp suddenly lost enrollment and with no reason to continue on the project, I lost interest.

Many of the features in BUILD2 were things I planned to do with the original Build Engine, but never had a chance to try back then. I'd say the most difficult feature by far to implement was the dynamic lighting with shadows.

Here are some new features of BUILD2 over the classic Build Engine:
  • Native Windows, 32-bit color, 6 degrees of freedom, pure CPU rendering
  • Native support for sector over sector (SOS).
  • Advanced lighting system with true dynamic shadows, colors, spotlights.
  • Multi-user editing with client-side prediction.
  • Powerful scripting compiler in EVALDRAW.
  • Full RGB color mapping.
  • Voxel sprite support.
  • Skybox support.
  • No sector/wall/sprite count limits.
There are a few relatively minor things missing in BUILD2 that the original Build Engine had. Most notably - transparency. Also missing is the built-in texture animation, but that can easily be simulated in the script.

JBro

Arbiter
They don't have the rights, so they'll have to make it slightly different.

Dick Kickem Eternity

deama

Prophet
Nice engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom