Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kentucky Route Zero - magical realist episodic adventure game

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited by a moderator:

Baron

Arcane
Devs are doing beautiful things with lighting and art for this generation of simple games. And by simple I mean the player character just seemed to be walking. I often feel that some teaser campaigns just need to show a little more ...-well, anything.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, crooked bee already started a "Let's Play" thread. So, I guess this one can bite the bullet.

Mothman

Novice
It reminds me of Limbo, but looks more fun. I'll need to try this.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Somebody played ep1?
I was wondering if this is hipster-food like Superbrothers (avoid this at all cost) or not.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Somebody played ep1?
I was wondering if this is hipster-food like Superbrothers (avoid this at all cost) or not.
It's very hipsterish and pretentious. Would probably have been better as an animated short or something.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's hipsterish, but also really well-done, atmospheric and well-written - I think it's shaping up to be a good game. I would suggest waiting before more episodes are released though; ep. 1 is very short and will only leave you wanting more (or at least it did in my case).

For the record, I couldn't stand most of the "hipster" games I've played (like Braid or Dear Esther), but this was an exception.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Thank both of you for the (contradictory) advice!
I'll wait until the season is complete, this is the path of wisdom.

kaizoku

Arcane
Crooked Bee

is it worth the $19 they're asking for the 3 Acts?
($19 is for the weekend promo, it actually costs $25)
How many gameplay hours does each act gives you?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like KRZ a lot, but I'd recommend that you should either wait for all 4 acts to be released or wait until it's 30-50% off. It's more of an exploration-, atmosphere- and occasionally text adventure-based game than a traditional point and click. It's definitely niche and hipster-ish, too. So unless you know for sure you will enjoy it, you shouldn't buy it at full price. It's the best of all the experimental hipster games out there, though. Reminds me of some atmospheric/exploration-driven puzzle-less text adventures a lot.

Each act is pretty short, but I can't really give you an estimate. There's lots of missable events and small details.

Also, I haven't played Act III yet so I can't say if it's any good.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I like KRZ a lot, but I'd recommend that you should either wait for all 4 acts to be released or wait until it's 30-50% off. It's more of an exploration-, atmosphere- and occasionally text adventure-based game than a traditional point and click. It's definitely niche and hipster-ish, too. So unless you know for sure you will enjoy it, you shouldn't buy it at full price. It's the best of all the experimental hipster games out there, though. Reminds me of some atmospheric/exploration-driven puzzle-less text adventures a lot.

Each act is pretty short, but I can't really give you an estimate. There's lots of missable events and small details.

Also, I haven't played Act III yet so I can't say if it's any good.

All 5 acts you mean :)

belated

Augur
Act 3 was a bit crazier than the previous acts, but I thought it was great. Thinking I should perhaps have played The Entertainment first though.

Wulfstand

Prophet
This series is a small gem, the type you get back to once a year and cherish, like a good book. I seriously hope they'll manage to finish it this year.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I own it on GoG but I really can't be arsed to play it, knowing the ending is coming out in a few years.

Severian Silk

It's the best of all the experimental hipster games out there, though. Reminds me of some atmospheric/exploration-driven puzzle-less text adventures a lot.
Did the developers follow the experimental hipster game handbook when making this game?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I've heard a lot of good things about the game, but I don't really want to start playing now only to wait 4 years for the next chapter.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
afaik there's still one chapter left

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom