Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Mistakes they make:
No PR at all. Never heard about it before. Doubt the people at RPG Watch or Banshee has either. It's weird because the creator of the game's steam greenlight is a member of the RPG Codex steam group.
Episodic content. It's a hard sell.
Calling 3rd person view "isometric".
Not really mentioning anything about character development and what makes this an RPG and not just a shooter with stats.
Tries to come off as American when they are largely Russian. No mention whether it will be in English first, or if it's gonna be a translation job. Also, 99% of Russian games are shitty.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Any hope for a codex interview or something like that to clarify things a bit?

Wasteland 2
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/insomnia-post-apocalyptic-dieselpunk-rpg.92064/

Production values make it stand out among kickstarter indie trash, so RPS would probably cover it if approached properly in advance... I think it's the single most important site for kickstarter projects to be covered at.
It has a huge, potentially interested audience and share some members with pretty much any other PC gaming comunity there is, including other jurnos, so it can snowball from there. Art and visuals are beautful, backed.

I wish inxile hired such talented russian team to outsource visuals for W2, instead of designing them around crap available on Unity asset store. Probably would be cheaper too.

Last edited:

Explorerbc

Arcane

LivingOne

Savant
Ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs are working on a new title called Areal, is an open-world game set in the post-apocalyptic world where humanity has fallen apart from an unearthly material called Metamorphite which has infected the whole world. The devastating material originated from a meteor that collided with the earth long time ago. The game will feature a non-linear story where your decisions will impact the storyline. West Games is launching a kickstarter campaign for Areal on Thursday, June 26, 2014. They are asking for $30k and once the game is fully funded, Areal will be available for the PC, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Linux and Mac

Areal-from-the-creators-of-S.T.A.L.K.E.R-Kickstarter-campaign-launching-on-26-June.jpg
Areal-from-the-creators-of-S.T.A.L.K.E.R-Kickstarter-campaign-launching-on-26-June-1.jpg
Areal-from-the-creators-of-S.T.A.L.K.E.R-Kickstarter-campaign-launching-on-26-June-2.jpg

Only 30k?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs are working on a new title called Areal, is an open-world game set in the post-apocalyptic world where humanity has fallen apart from an unearthly material called Metamorphite which has infected the whole world. The devastating material originated from a meteor that collided with the earth long time ago. The game will feature a non-linear story where your decisions will impact the storyline. West Games is launching a kickstarter campaign for Areal on Thursday, June 26, 2014. They are asking for $30k and once the game is fully funded, Areal will be available for the PC, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Linux and Mac

Only 30k?
If they are in Ukraine soon those will become three millions.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs are working on a new title called Areal, is an open-world game set in the post-apocalyptic world where humanity has fallen apart from an unearthly material called Metamorphite which has infected the whole world. The devastating material originated from a meteor that collided with the earth long time ago
Was the impact site near the river Tiber by any chance?

Also, they made a terminology error: a meteor that doesn't burn up in the atmosphere and lands on the earth is called a meteorite.

Essegi

Cipher
As far as i know there are also (some?) Metro Last Light devs in Areal... I haven't played it, but i really can't say i have appreciated first Metro. And multy platform.... Even worse.
A must follow anyway.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Only 30k?
If they are in Ukraine soon those will become three millions.

Scam alert? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...l-successor-to-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-hits-kickstarter

UPDATE 10.30AM BST: The Areal Kickstarter has come under fire from Vostok Games, the studio formed when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer GSC collapsed, and the studio that's making its own thematic successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., called Survarium.

The bone of contention is West-Games claiming it is made up of staff that made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro: Last Light when apparently it isn't.

Vostok spokesperson Joe Mullin wrote this in the Survarium forum (via VG247): "We have contacted GSC's lawyers regarding this fraudulent claim of being the developers of Stalker and Metro Last Light. Please do all you can do ensure people know these claims are false."

Since the original story was published, some pledges have been retracted. The project is now under half-funded, sitting at around $20,000 raised.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Areal-from-the-creators-of-S.T.A.L.K.E.R-Kickstarter-campaign-launching-on-26-June.jpg
Areal-from-the-creators-of-S.T.A.L.K.E.R-Kickstarter-campaign-launching-on-26-June-1.jpg
Areal-from-the-creators-of-S.T.A.L.K.E.R-Kickstarter-campaign-launching-on-26-June-2.jpg

Only 30k?
Fuck that looks and sounds awesome. I wish it wasn't a scam... :(

Kz3r0

Arcane
Scam alert? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...l-successor-to-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-hits-kickstarter

UPDATE 10.30AM BST: The Areal Kickstarter has come under fire from Vostok Games, the studio formed when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer GSC collapsed, and the studio that's making its own thematic successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., called Survarium.

The bone of contention is West-Games claiming it is made up of staff that made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro: Last Light when apparently it isn't.

Vostok spokesperson Joe Mullin wrote this in the Survarium forum (via VG247): "We have contacted GSC's lawyers regarding this fraudulent claim of being the developers of Stalker and Metro Last Light. Please do all you can do ensure people know these claims are false."

Since the original story was published, some pledges have been retracted. The project is now under half-funded, sitting at around $20,000 raised.
Guyduk anything to say?

Guyduk is the Insomnia guy...
I know, this is why I tagged him.
I am dumb, forget it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Only 30k?
Fuck that looks and sounds awesome. I wish it wasn't a scam... :(

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/25/areal-stalker-spiritual-successor/

As you may have seen elsewhere on the cyberbweb, the Kickstarter has ruffled the feathers ofSurvarium developers Vostok Games, a studio formed by a load of former GSC Game World folks. They’re understandably not keen on the Kickstarter’s claim that it’s “being developed by the people behind S.T.A.L.K.E.R.” when hundreds more worked on the games–many of whom are with them. It’s one of those deceptive marketing lines we like to think people understand is fluff (like ‘from the creator of…’ or ‘from the publisher behind…’) but too often goes uninterrogated. Vostok PR Director Oleg Yavorsky addressed the issue in a statement today, also claiming that using S.T.A.L.K.E.R. footage is “not only illegal, but simply just not right.”

Whether you think the Kickstarter pitch is naive, deceptive, half-arsed, or some combination of the lot, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. talent West Games have working on Areal were more than testers. Yuriy Negrobov was lead designer across the whole series. Designer Peter Dushynsky was one of several plain old designers for the series, as well as for Metro: Last Light at 4A Games (another GSC-spawned studio). They’ve also got concept artist Alex Moseichuk (who left after Oblivion Lost’s change), a series animator, and a chap who was working on the cancelled S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2′s engine. It takes more than that to make a game, but it’s a fair start.

Still, despite all this kerfuffle, Areal has come half-way to its funding goal within a day, so I imagine we’ll see what comes of it. If you fancy backing it, $25 is the lowest tier offering a copy of the finished game. I imagine West Games will jump a few steps in their marketing plan as they try to win people over, so hopefully we see more of Areal soon.

These Ukrainians just do not get along with each other.

Essegi

Cipher
I know there's the thread (and it's linked in rps new in post above) and that could be a disappointment/scam, Areal kickstarter is live:

EDIT: just to make that post less unuseful:

It seems a nice metroidvania....

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom