Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The Crystal Catacombs (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crystalcatacombs/the-crystal-catacombs) was released in June, procedurally generated platformer, I hoped it would be something in the ballpark of Spelunky or Rogue Legacy, sadly the controls are all kinds of shit, it's playable, but I didn't find it all that enjoyable and the randomness of the levels is rather limited (you see the same room types stacked together in different variations and after a few runs it feels like you've seen it all)

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Crystal Catacombs (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crystalcatacombs/the-crystal-catacombs) was released in June, procedurally generated platformer, I hoped it would be something in the ballpark of Spelunky or Rogue Legacy, sadly the controls are all kinds of shit, it's playable, but I didn't find it all that enjoyable and the randomness of the levels is rather limited (you see the same room types stacked together in different variations and after a few runs it feels like you've seen it all)
Moved to released section.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hard West: XCOM + HoMM https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/hard-west
(Polish cowboys with some Silent Storm)

Fallen: A2P Protocol: XCOM + Fallout https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1228828169/fallen-a2p-protocol
(Argentine Fallout)

Hard West look great but their description of the combat system is setting off a lot of alarms in my head. The bad kinds.
Also it's most similar to ja2 than xcom, considering from the gifs I see, the turn-based combat probably only start after the initial attack.

Interested but will wait for more updates.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler!, Bill Tiller kickstarter for another adventure game, complete with purdy 2D backgrounds and ugly 3D characters. At least it looks more focused than his previous one, the whole "maybe it's for an episode, maybe it's for a season, who knows?!" approach doesn't look that good on a kickstarter pitch.

himmy

Arcane
http://www.redbull.com/en/games/sto...en-amazing-games-that-prove-kickstarter-works

The amazing games that prove Kickstarter works
Forget the Yogscast failure, these Kickstarter successes prove the model works. Have you played any?

Last month, the YouTube gaming icons at Yogscast caused a scandal when they revealed that the Kickstarter-funded Yogscast game Yogventures! by partners Winterkewl Games had been canned before release – even though the campaign smashed its original $250,000 goal by more than 100 percent. The $567,665 that Winterkewl Games raised evidently was not enough, and it looks like the six man team bit off far more than they could chew, casting the whole crowdfunding model into disrepute in the process. It’s not the first Kickstarter game project to collapse and it probably won’t be the last, but don’t let it put you off backing exciting new ideas – these Kickstarted games have already made it onto virtual shop shelves and prove that it really can work. How many have you played?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not sure if the choice of games was all that good to prove that Kickstarter works:

• Divinity: Original Sin (almost finished when they went the Kickstarter route)
  • Broken Age (broken into 2 parts because of financial troubles, 2nd part is still MIA)
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Mercenary Kings (still in Early Access aka not finished)
  • République (PC/Mac version MIA)
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Planetary Annihilation (still in Early Access aka not finished)

Kz3r0

Arcane
Not sure if the choice of games was all that good to prove that Kickstarter works:

• Divinity: Original Sin (almost finished when they went the Kickstarter route)
  • Broken Age (broken into 2 parts because of financial troubles, 2nd part is still MIA)
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Mercenary Kings (still in Early Access aka not finished)
  • République (PC/Mac version MIA)
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Planetary Annihilation (still in Early Access aka not finished)
Broken Age is a fucking travesty, Tex Murphy and Quest for Infamy piss all over it.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

• Shadowrun Returns

I only had a quick look, but it seems like the type of kickstarter game I want.

It doesn't seem to be anyone's ego project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom