Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's a thing that's going to be at Comic Con on Friday:

How to Crowdfund

Experts who have used crowdfunding to raise production financing for their projects present their experiences raising funds on various crowdfunding platforms (Kickstarter, Indiegogo, GoFundMe). Panelists John Nee, Brian Fargo (CEO, INXile Entertainment, founder and CEO, Interplay Entertainment), Feargus Urquhart(founder and CEO, Obsidian Entertainment), Jordan Weisman (founder and CEO, Hare Brained Schemes Studios, Fasa Entertainment), Matt Hawkins (president, Top Cow Productions), and Cory Jones (co-founder, Crytpozoic Entertainment, CEO and president, HEX Entertainment) discuss techniques, opportunities, and pitfalls of crowdfunding.
Friday July 10, 2015 3:00pm - 4:30pm

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, Siboot crashed and burned: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/544670315/siboot

Chris Crawford, beautiful loser until the end.
I admire Crawford's ambition and originality, but I've always felt that his tone always comes across as condescending toward other game makers, while his own games are mediocre to bad and reflect a fundamental lack of common sense (e.g., "Siboot," a lame and nonsensical title, comes from reversing the syllables of his dead cat's name). This post by Emily Short is informative, though I seem to remember an even more definitive takedown. The "Dragon Speech" that his seemingly-autobiographical Wikipedia page lingers over seems more mortifying than "the finest speech of my life" material. With Erasmatron/Storytron, he basically insisted that anyone who wanted anything other than dumb-machine-generated dialogue coupled with HyperCard (and later Poser) graphics was uninterested in interactive storytelling. (Per one interview, games like Crusader Kings II or Dwarf Fortress do not yield "very dramatically interstesting stories" or, indeed, "what we normally call a story at all"; per his book, interactive fiction games and presumably RPGs and adventure games, are not interactive stories, either because they're either "not storytelling" or not interactive enough.) Apparently, only this
storytron_screen_small.jpg
is an interactive version of "what we normally call a story."

Incidetally, watching the Kickstarter video on mute from 0:35 on is pretty incredible given Crawford's fixation on the importance of facial expressions in games. (I especially like the finger wagging.)

Still, nothing but good can come of his brand of experimentation, so I hope he keeps at it. Maybe there really is some fundamentally better approach that just needs time to ripen.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
From the Brown Lands:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nia-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-desig/comments
Hey guys, I'm the original writer for EoE, and the "New Management." Let me give you a bit of a rundown of what's been happening behind the scenes over the life of EoE.
This gonna be gud.
We hired new writers, and I had to take a break from the project for religious obligations,
Such work ethics.
About maybe 8 months ago, Ryan moved away from our hometown, to somewhere in Atlanta, and basically cut ties with everyone about 6 months ago. We've been friends for about 9 years now, but I can't reach him no matter what avenue I try. When last I talked to him about 3 months ago, he wasn't working on the game anymore.
Too busy obviously.
So now, I'm trying to breathe life into EoE. One of the things I want to clarify is that this is basically starting over from scratch.
So the old project is dead and someone wants to make a new one that is kinda like the old one.
Ryan has all the files, music, stills, scripts, etc, and is nigh unreachable.
Quite a diffuse habit this one.
For all intents and purposes, this might as well be considered a fan project, because I don't have the legal right to publish this game
This bodes well.
One of the reasons that I've held off on giving this update is that I was trying to put together a team. That failed spectacularly.
Encouraging.
I'm just a single 21 year old kid
When he counts to hit puberty?
: Instead of an update blog, I'm going to be making a subreddit. I figure this is an easier platform to release updates and allow you all to voice your comments/concerns. I don't currently have enough positive Karma to make one yet, but I'm working on it.
Even a fucking blog is too much of a tall task.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, pretty crazy to see a guy with no resources an no real obligation committing to do it all anyway. Kid's got integrity. Not to say that he won't snap under the burden of course - it's hard to picture any other outcome.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game with great potential.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/triple-x-tycoon#/story
Triple X Tycoon features some of the following:

• Extensive product type (signature dildos, lubricants, magazines, hotlines, calendars and more!
  • Product reviews
  • Award shows
  • Reputation (effects who you can hire and where you can shoot)
  • Random events (pregnancies, outbreaks, organized crime etc)
  • Studio upgrades
  • Eras include 70s, 80, 90, 2000s and beyond!
  • And MORE!
helfky3wvlrqlcj4mnip.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tormentum devs are Kickstarting another adventure game - TSIOQUE:

Dear RPG CODEX

We are delighted to announce our new point & click adventure game TSIOQUE has just launched on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ohnoo/tsioque-an-animated-2d-adventure-game

Screenshots, videos and more information can be found in our presspack:
http://www.ohnoo.com/presspack/tsioque/

Its key features are: meticulous, hand-drawn 2d animation and a music system designed to dynamically follow the player's actions, which combined create a unique experience, merging boundaries between adventure game and animated film.

The Kickstarter launch includes a playable DEMO, as well as a TRAILER:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XriHUgWJt6w

Demo Windows: https://dl.orangedox.com/ZxddmeNwQM70kyq0fk/TsioqueDemo.zip
Demo OSX: https://dl.orangedox.com/GZCz8DrGpVxqUw24E5/TsioqueDemo.dmg

We’d greatly appreciate any information published about our game.

Best Regards
Lukas Rutkowski
www.ohnoo.com
become our fan: www.facebook.com/OhNooStudio
follow us: www.twitter.com/OhNooStudio

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ohnoo/tsioque-an-animated-2d-adventure-game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-fully-funded-after-chinese-company-swoops-in
Inafune's Red Ash fully funded after Chinese company swoops in
"Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out."

Development of Keiji Inafune's Red Ash - billed as a spiritual successor to the Mega Man Legends series - has been secured after a Chinese company swooped in to fund the project.

Inafune's company, Comcept, launched a Kickstarter for Red Ash earlier this month, asking for $800,000.

It failed to take off with the same fervour as Infanue's previous Kickstarter, for Mega Man-style game Mighty No. 9, and there was some concern it would miss its target.

At the time of publication, $487,870 had been raised from 6084 backers with just four days of the Kickstarter left to run.

Now, though, it doesn't matter whether the Kickstarter succeeds or fails, as Red Ash has secured funding from Fuze Entertainment.

"The contribution of Fuze is a done deal," Comcept said in an update on the Red Ash Kickstarter page.

"We can officially confirm that The KalKanon Incident will be developed to completion, with the initial goals for game content (eight hours), along with ports to BOTH PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!"

The mention of The KalKanon Incident refers to the Red Ash prologue. So, reading the small print, this funding secures the release of the prologue, only, although as Comcept says it will offer around eight hours of gameplay as well as console ports. "The main story is for the future!" Comcept added.

It's worth noting Comcept retains the rights to Red Ash under the terms of the deal, it insisted, as well as "creative discretion and decisions in game development".

So, the Kickstarter campaign is "going 100 per cent towards more content", Comcept said.

"Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out."

It's clear Comcept would love for the Kickstarter to hits its target. If it does it will get the money pledged. If it doesn't, backers will not be charged and Comcept won't get the cash.

"We know we're in the final days of our campaign, but we'd like to ask fans to continue their support of Red Ash," Comcept said.

"Your money is going towards 100 per cent content now, so please look forward to the revised stretch goals."

But it seems unlikely now that the Red Ask Kickstarter will succeed, with funding already secured from elsewhere and a release guaranteed.

Comcept said it had been working for some time behind the scenes to get money for Red Ash. "Alongside our Kickstarter campaign, we've been in negotiations with hardware makers and development partners, keeping your feedback and comments in mind," it said.

"We hoped by introducing the world setting, art documents, creators involved, our latest prototype, and more, we could convey the charm of Red Ash."

It seems Fuze Entertainment was sufficiently charmed.

lulz

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._thousands_in_a_day_as_publisher_steps_up.php

Red Ash Kickstarter loses thousands in a day as publisher steps up

Data from third-party Kickstarter tracking site Kicktraqreveals that pledges to Red Ash, the latest camapaign from Mega Man and Mighty No. 9 creator Keiji Inafune actually went negative for a day: For July 30, its funding total was minus $2,274, as backers pulled money out of the campaign.

That's undoubtedly because of an announcement on July 29 that the game, which seemed likely to miss its funding target, had gained a publisher in the form of China's Fuze Entertainment.

Alongside that announcement, it was revealed that money from backers would not be used to develop the game -- as had been originally promised -- but to expand its scope beyond Fuze's funding.

This campaign, which has three days left, has been troubled from the off. Two weeks ago, as funding slowed, Inafune said that the Kickstarter was not to create a full game but something "in a form we can show first parties and sponsors."

As of this writing, Red Ash funding is positive today: $1,576 so far. The campaign has a goal of $800,000, with $485,463 raised as of this writing. It has been updated to indicate that all funds raised (once the goal is passed) will be applied to stretch goals.

http://kotaku.com/the-red-ash-kickstarter-is-a-disaster-1721094852
The Red Ash Kickstarter Is A Disaster

In 2013, game producer Keiji Inafune earned gamers’ hearts worldwide by promising to bring back Mega Man in the form of Mighty No. 9. Two years later, he’s launched a sloppy, misleading new Kickstarter that threatens to squander all that goodwill.

Red Ash, which took to crowdfunding earlier this month with promises of launching a successor to the beloved Mega Man Legends series, has been a disaster from the start. There was confusion over whether this campaign was for a full game or a prologue; there was a great big mess when the campaign organizers promised a console port but wouldn’t say which console; and few fans were happy that the Red Ash team had launched a simultaneous second campaign to collect even more money for a companion anime based on the game.

Now, with four days left and just under $500,000 raised out of their $800,000 goal, the Red Ash team has a new update: turns out they’ve got a publisher (the Chinese game company FUZE) and they’re going to release the game no matter how much they crowdfund. If the Kickstarter is funded—which at this point seems unlikely—all of that money will go toward stretch goals. What kind of stretch goals? Says the update (emphasis mine):

The Kickstarter campaign is going 100% towards more content! Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out.

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We’re sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer! Like we said, we’re very busy with many behind-the-scenes things over here, and we apologize if you feel left in the dark. As you can see, the things we have brewing that are keeping us occupied are BIG, and all for the purpose of getting you RED ASH in its biggest, bestest form. That’s the reason we’re less communicative than we’d like to be!

We know we’re in the final days of our campaign, but we’d like to ask fans to continue their support of RED ASH! Your money is going towards 100% content now, so please look forward to the revised “stretch goals”!

In other words: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you think this is all sketchy—and you’re wondering how a Kickstarter campaign can suddenly shift from “we need this money to fund the game” to “this is now for stretch goals!”—you’re not alone. When I reached out to Kickstarter this morning, a rep told me that this wasn’t in violation of their Terms of Service, even though it appears to at least go against the spirit of rule #2: “Projects must be honest and clearly presented.”

I reached out to Comcept for clarification on how this publishing deal had happened and got back the following statement, from a spokesperson:

Inafune met FUZE at E3 this year, but they approached them only after the KS started. Comcept wanted to make Red Ash no matter what, so if the Kickstarter failed, they would find a different way. They were hoping to entice investors with the attention they were getting from the KS, even if it failed. They didn’t necessarily try to hurry up the deal since the KS was still at 50% for some time. The timing happened to work out nicely and then we made the announcement. The timing really wasn’t up to them, it was in the investor’s court. And the [stretch] goals will go out before the KS’s end for sure.

So now, whether or not Red Ash is funded, the game will happen. They’re promising an eight-hour campaign—The KalKanon Incident, which they’ve hinted is a prologue to the main Red Ash—that will be published for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They say that even though they’re getting funding from FUZE, they’re keeping all the rights to the game and characters.

If you’ve never heard of FUZE before, their website is quite an adventure. The China-based company says they’re working on new gaming hardware—”coming soon”—and their pages are full of bizarre digs at Microsoft and Sony:

Pretty funny that they’re now helping publish Red Ash for both PS4 and Xbox One. (Maybe the folks behind PlayStation and Xbox haven’t looked at their website?)

Meanwhile, today Comcept released a speedrun of the opening level for Mighty No. 9, which is currently slated for release in September. It looks... rough.

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I wonder, China is a big enough market that no one there will need to publish in the West, maybe some investor here is fishing for some beloved Jap brand, consideing that the original IPs are not available going for spiritual successors or the original developers is the best next thing.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, everything that could go wrong with the Red Ash KS, did.

I think that even if the Dina Disaster never occured, this would fail.
Also, pretty funny how in Red Ash's own press release, they put quotation marks on "Stretch Goals".

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
As with most other sham Kickstarters, the demonstration of naivety and forced optimism is staggering - particularly when one considers the $490k pledged so far at this time of writing. Still, some lulz are to be had:

Gary Yeung about 3 hours ago
I was not planning on backing the project before because of the whole Dina crap that happened in MN9... but I guess I'll give this Kickstarter a try, even though there is no way it'll reach it's goal.

Joseph Barone about 3 hours ago
500k hmmm lets go all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

sakuraleic about 4 hours ago
It's not too late persay until it ends, but it's not coming in fast enough and not a lot of money per pledge is coming in either. We have to wait and see, it's not over until it's over.

Inori about 4 hours ago
We are getting a megaman legends successor HYPE!!!!!!!

Travis Shoemaker about 5 hours ago
Too bad I can't pledge any further. $79 is my limit, which is enough to get the prologue and main story easily.

Andrew Felson about 5 hours ago
I hope they eventually put this on the Wii-U. As it stands my PC is not up to running this sort of thing so this may end up being a gift to someone.

Ryan Mccallum about 6 hours ago
They made a couple of mistakes on the Kickstarter, which is probably why it isn't doing too well. I still think the game could be amazing, so I'm very glad about the side deal. Plus it means they don't cut off most of the game just because they didn't make enough money.

As for the mistakes, a couple of these are very unusual mistakes to make for a company who previously had a very successful Kickstarter:
1. The physical copy is way too high in price. A good price would've been around 50, so you had the option of digital with soundtrack or just physical. Making the only physical copy the complete pack is asking a lot for people who only want the game
2. High tiers don't interact with each other enough. If some of the really high levels included some lower tiers as well, such as Legendary actually including all previous reward, more people would be willing to put money towards that. Create an achievement should've been included in every tier after it. Right now, its just not enough.
3. Don't threaten to release an underdeveloped game if you don't reach enough stretch goals. That scared away a lot of potential donors. Its fine now, but the first impression is the most important part, since the most money is made on the first day.
4. Wii u port. Why is it not included with the "next gen" consoles? Its not something that's worth another stretch goal at this point, but I feel it should've been included in the new 800,000 goal. More people would be willing to put money down towards that.
5. Launching 2 Kickstarters at once is taking on a lot. Even though its between 2 different companies, the fans can't always afford to support two different projects at one. I think the anime should've been released first, then the game after it was made. A anime tie in is a risky project for fans to fund when the anime isn't even out in the first place, plus many other anime tie ins have been little except a way to make money off the name.

I think if they had fixed these issues, it'd already be funded, and a few stretch goals in. Plus the anime wouldn't be so close to not making the original goal.

Jay about 10 hours ago
It's nice to see there's a lot of passion and thought going into the project. I wish we could have pulled something on our end to show our support, but of course due to a lot of unfortunate circumstances, it's not looking great. Still, I have a lot of faith that this game is going to be amazing and turn a lot of heads. I for one will continue to stalk its development until its release.

Cleve's right. Saps will never be learning animals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom