Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1819174432/the-eldritch-cases-dagon-a-lovecraftian-horror-adv

The Eldritch Cases: Dagon is in it's last few hours. They need a 6,000 pound miracle, and I don't mean my high school girlfriend. In all seriousness, a good friend of mine is working on the music for this game, and this team is really talented. I think this one is worth the time - so check it out again, if you haven't.

Bt
Well the kickstarter failed, but it's still being worked on, and today there was an update!
For one, I think that the time for 2d Adventure games is over unless you do pixel art or have some very unique style, e.g. like Dead Synchronicity. Because of this I have decided that the first change would be of a technical nature, resulting in switching to a new engine, Unity 5. The initial plan was to move to 2.5d (3d characters with prerendered 2d backgrounds), however after working with Unity for a while I felt that this was still quite limiting my options, and so I’ve moved to full 3d. This requires more work, however I feel that the result is worth it.

Apart from the technical issues I felt that the gameplay was lacking as well. I have played a lot of modern adventures lately, beginning with The Walking Dead and Wolf among us over The Vanishing of Ethan Carter to Life is Strange (my personal Game of the Year) and fell in love with their way of story telling and progressing through the game. Especially Life is Strange’s cinematic approach is something I’m striving for for The Eldritch Cases. There will still be puzzles to be solved, but the the main focus will be on the story, the characters and the atmosphere. I will most likely ditch the inventory altogether though.
:hahyou:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh dear. Well, Jan (the musician) is a damn fine musician, and a game-maker in his own right. He made the game JULIA. But anyone who goes on about The Walking Dead being a great adventure game and losing an inventory... well, that's not my cup of tea.

Bt

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Inventory systems are generally the reason I dislike adventure games, mostly because I don't remember ever seeing one that made sense from the beginning of the game to the end. And even if they do sometimes, those times are not memorable. "Remember when I used that key to open a door? That was great." No, what I remember is horseshit like "I'd like to set this curtain on fire, but it's completely impossible unless I thought to get axle grease from underneath the train" or "Oh look, impassable thorn bushes, with goats standing nearby. Hmm, luckily I have a glass of rancid apple juice in my pocket. I'll pour it on the thorn bushes and then the goats will eat them."*

I don't know, maybe I'm just bad at that kind of game, but to me it always comes down to looking up answers to nonsense inventory problems, or brute forcing stupidity like "combine panties with taco. combine panties with pamphlet. combine panties with spider web. combine taco with pamphlet. combine taco with spider web. oh shit that worked"**

*Actual gameplay examples.
**Not an actual gameplay example.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I've been camping a lot in my life. And I can tell you, I have tied a discarded bra to an Axe before, and used it to make an impressive but ultimately useless weapon/tool, so these kinds of games make sense to me.

Bt

Executr

Cipher

• A huge, dynamic world to explore, ruled by a number of races in constant conflict - it’s up to you to help or betray them
  • Challenging and addictive turn-based combat - careful strategy and cunning skill combinations are the key to victory against your foes!
  • Permanent hero death, procedural world generation, and high replay inspired by classic roguelikes

EDIT: KS and gameplay videos (Thanks Infinitron)

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
There was outrage at all 3 of those things. Plenty of people were pointing out how dumb it was for Shenmue 3 to be on kickstarter when it had Sony behind it and I saw quite a few people skeptical about Bloodstained's mystery publisher. Also Red Ash wouldn't even say what the kickstarter money was going to be used for when they announced the partnership with FUSE so there's reasons to not like any of the 3.
Red Ash receveid way more hate than Shenmue 3 and Bloostained. Compare how much money the made on Kickstater.

I noticed an anti-Inafune sentiment floating around in the gaming community lately.

"Also Red Ash wouldn't even say what the kickstarter money was going to be used for when they announced the partnership with FUSE so there's reasons to not like any of the 3."

Stretch goals.

http://s16.postimg.org/rd9mm8aqd/red_ash.png

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Red Ash receveid way more hate than Shenmue 3 and Bloostained. Compare how much money the made on Kickstater.

I noticed an anti-Inafune sentiment floating around in the gaming community lately.

"Also Red Ash wouldn't even say what the kickstarter money was going to be used for when they announced the partnership with FUSE so there's reasons to not like any of the 3."

Stretch goals.

http://s16.postimg.org/rd9mm8aqd/red_ash.png
That first part I won't argue. It's because all the crap that happened after the Mighty NO. 9 kickstarter. Shenmue 3 and Bloodstained just haven't been around long enough to accumulate that level of hate and unless they screw up hard I doubt they will. As for the stretch goals I didn't realize they revealed them so you are right about that.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was going to make a thread, but I don't think codexers are interested in this. Game is supposedly aimed at PC/PS4/XB1

Kickstarter will go live next week: Battle Chasers: Nightwar
http://www.battlechasers.com/
qVfIA7k.jpg

rdINWAd.jpg

WfKskSj.jpg

WfKskSj.jpg

wDDDuRG.jpg

Polygon article, but there's not much to do about that. Don't want to read this? I made a small bullet list that doesn't include everything the article has to say.
Every pixel looks like it was born from a comic. This is by design. The JRPG was born there, and the developer is graphing that aesthetic onto an isometric world with a hybrid between 2-D and 3-D assets. The overworld and battle backgrounds are 2-D paintings, for example, but the characters traveling and fighting through them are 3-D. When they're in a dungeon, 3-D characters walk through isometric levels that look, somehow, flat and multidimensional at the same time.

The result isn't incongruous. They look like they belong together, as if someone took a straw, blew air into some a comic page and brought the drawings into another dimension. And that's more or less what happened, minus the magic straw. Everyone in Battle Chasers: Nightwar began as a sketch drawn by a renowned comic artist.

The 25 minutes of Battle Chasers: Nightwar that Airship showed Polygon gave off a constant reminder of the team's ability to blend old and new. Overworlds and dungeons are old concepts, but the roaming bands of monsters and the dungeon's traps are examples of modern sensibilities.

Unlike in old-school JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Airship's encounters aren't random. They put walking monsters on the screen, allowing players to identify upcoming battles or run away and avoid fights. Video game staples like environmental traps — a rotating, bladed stick shuffling across a path in a dungeon floor and an old-school spike trap in the floor, for example — add a layer of challenge to the exploration. Those cut both ways, too: Players should avoid them, but they can also lure enemies to them and soften them up before battle.

And because each of the comic characters already has built-in abilities, different dungeons and enemies will play to different characters' strengths, so assembling a party will be part of the strategy.

The battle screens felt like a warm blanket of nostalgia, split between the players' party lined up vertically on the left side of the screen and the enemies on the right. Turn by turn, Airship selected attacks, balanced its use of depleting resources and planned several steps ahead in the battle, thanks to a system that telegraphed its multiturn moves and those of its enemies.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is, in every respect, precisely the kind of game that you'd expect a group of old-school JRPG fans to make, and it's easy to see it gaining credibility among genre fans. At the same time, the combat system is also somewhat overwhelming. Airship will need to teach players how to survive within the rule book it creates. It'll need to work extra hard at that if it wants to attract newcomers.

It could be a tough sell to those who haven't been steeped in the genre. Though many comic fans will see the attraction of a side story set in Madureira's Battle Chasers universe, JRPGs aren't for everyone. They can be confusing. Airship knows this and hopes to mitigate some of the challenge with simplified systems based on games it loves.

• Classic turn based combat
  • Trap filled dungeons
  • Overworld exploration
  • Stylish storytelling

I might throw some money their way.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Torchlight 2 the other way.

Still waiting for a game that doesn't have cartoonish artstyle. My money are safe with that simple rule.

pippin

Hm. It seems the Battle Chasers preview didn't included its Problematic (tm) characters, like this particular lady:

77223-90491-red-monika.jpg

Otherwise Polygon's opinions would have been a lot different.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I was going to make a thread, but I don't think codexers are interested in this. Game is supposedly aimed at PC/PS4/XB1

Kickstarter will go live next week: Battle Chasers: Nightwar
http://www.battlechasers.com/
qVfIA7k.jpg

rdINWAd.jpg

WfKskSj.jpg

WfKskSj.jpg

wDDDuRG.jpg

Polygon article, but there's not much to do about that. Don't want to read this? I made a small bullet list that doesn't include everything the article has to say.

• Classic turn based combat
  • Trap filled dungeons
  • Overworld exploration
  • Stylish storytelling

I might throw some money their way.
Looks interesting.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I complained earlier about lack of western themed games.
Here is one.

It seems to be a Hotline Miami clone.
f2cdb3bdb57dc15182763b33acd9d27d_original.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom