Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
edit: Both images are by Ellen Barkin.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
http://sixages.com/blog/index.php/2017/07/july-status-update/

scene129-crop-300x182.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

Is it getting close enough for a tentative release date to be given?

It might just be the case. :) I'm 3,5 pieces from done. (on the base art group, then it'll be some tweaks and a polish pass, but yeah.) Weirdly, art is no longer super behind everything else, rather now it's all about testing and music.

It's a bit funny how David simply cut out the bottom left corner of a scene I finished last week for this blog, so that it contains none of the characters. :D BUT! You can still kind of tell something about the main culture of Six Ages from this.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
What what whaaat? How did I miss this glorious incline?

I think we've been intentionally laying low marketing-wise. I suppose David wants to do that once everything is ready to go. (which, judging from some analyses of indie game marketing, might just work the best)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
http://sixages.com/blog/index.php/2017/08/feature-complete/

(the photo shows the last two scenes left to be done by Sara Otterstätter. She mostly works in pnp RPGs and books, and we liked her watercolors and animal paintings. You can see some cute prairie dogs or whatever they are looking at a horse falling over. And what are those things on top? Some mysterious standing stones?! It's a mystery.)

WP_20170807_001.jpg

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The internet tells me it's a Belarusian-Jewish surname, but she's Swedish. Barkin' or not, she's a very good artist. :)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Literally the last two paragraphs:

At some point, we’ll have all the art complete, changes made, and bugs fixed. That will put us at the “Beta” milestone and we’ll look for more playtesters. (Don’t ask now! I’m not sure exactly what we’ll be looking for at that point.)

And I still can’t figure out a release date. That will depend on how alpha testing goes. But we are definitely progressing.

Can't wait. Hope all the grass-roots level community engagement you guys have put in pays dividends when you hit release. I'll be buying copies for all my extended family members!

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
We have some more external testers now (players really) and it's quite interesting to see how they wrestle with the game. We know the game inside and out, so it's good to have fresh eyes on it.

My part is pretty much done, only a few art things left to wrap up. I'll continue to help with polish, but generally I'm moving onto freelancing again. (some Middle Earth stuff, after a long time)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I am not saying or implying anything at all about platforms, because beyond some speculation about clearly iOS gui in some screenshots and whatnot, we've not released any info. But there's this recent tweet - again, don't make any assumptions!

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I made sure to blur the photo, so none of the scene art gets spoiled. :troll:

Also sorry about my uggo kitchen table, with burn marks and stuff. The other option for a photo location was my bed and it was full of dog.

edit: She's a good dog.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oh, and a relevant bit:

And the name, Six Ages – what does it actually mean? “Partly I was hoping that a new game would have it’s own sequels. And there may not be necessarily six games in a series, but if the first game turns out to be successful, I’d like to do additional games. That are in the same family. So it was a vague hint at that.”

Before the inevitable "decline"s, I would personally say that I didn't even flippin' notice most scenes had one choice fewer than there were in KoDP. Doesn't feel dumbed down to me.
(and David really does work on accessibility, for instance for blind players - the game, like KoDP, is quite helpful to Voiceover which allows them to play it quite well.)

Also yes, if anyone knows what Robin D. Laws looks like, "Dostalkarn" should look familiar. ;)

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Hang on, Robin D. Laws is working on it? That's some pretty significant incline! :salute:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
He wrote most of the scenes and other text in the game. (and iirc also wrote a lot of the stuff in KoDP, created Bad King Urgrain etc.)

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Any time that developers keep working on a game instead of rushing it out the door, I take that as good news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom