Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Infinitum

Scholar
So more of the same, but easier, same art, same music, little smarter coding. Beyond that? No-one knows yet.

Well, difficulty is a relative thing. Without savescumming, once you got the defensive upgrades and craftsmen set up the basic gameplay loop went from clan management to watching your cow priestesses getting eaten by biting things anually until the story could progress. I'm seeing room for improvement.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

We do know that we need to do our first video trailer, and need to find someone to help us make one. (Please contact us if you are available to do video production!)

scene162-crop.jpg
scene254-crop.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
We've now showed a few (cropped, I know) drawings of actual people. Any analyses? ;)

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
Guy on the right probably sold that vase to her and she realised that she got swindled.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oh, the Vaselineans sadly used too much vaseline and hardly ever actually reproduced, that can't be them. Would've been a very short (but hot and smooth!) game.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
We've now showed a few (cropped, I know) drawings of people from the main culture. Any guesses on what it is? ;)

If the right image above that post is typical, I would guess it's inspired by Baltic cultures, maybe with a hint of Central Asian.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
We've now showed a few (cropped, I know) drawings of people from the main culture. Any guesses on what it is? ;)

If the right image above that post is typical, I would guess it's inspired by Baltic cultures, maybe with a hint of Central Asian.

8313595.gif

There's more, of course. And then it's a question of what Gloranthan cultures this translates to. But hey, not bad. ;)

Karellen

Arcane

There's more, of course. And then it's a question of what Gloranthan cultures this translates to. But hey, not bad. ;)

So I guess I'm going to bite, but it's honestly kind of hard to pin this down to Glorantha. In terms of aesthetics, though, the walled village in one of the earlier screenshots looks a whole lot like Sintashta culture settlements, and the logo has a Seima-Turbino -style dagger, so along with the clothing that points pretty clearly towards the Eurasian steppes as far as source material goes. I think there were some images of shamanic masks, too, which would go well with Siberia.

On the Glorantha side of things, in the screenshot with the clan ring, the clan leader had the Fire Rune. That should narrow things down a lot (assuming it wasn't a red herring), since the only people with ruling gods associated with the Fire Rune is associated mainly with Dara Happans and Pentans. But neither of them really live in wooden houses that we've seen in some of the images here - Dara Happans are city people and Pentans are nomads with no permanent settlements. In Genertala, just about all sedentary, mixed farming clan societies that we know of are some variety of Orlanthi, and I think the only ones out of them have a Fire Rune chief god are the Caladralanders of the Holy Country, with their volcano worship, but since the area is supposed to be tropical, it doesn't really fit what we've seen of the clothing. Going further west doesn't really help either since people there are either filthy monotheists, primitive hunter-gatherers or more Orlanthi. So, I guess I'm stumped.

That said, Pent is enormous and not very well defined in the Gloranthan material, and the only thing that really seems to stick is that Sheng Seleris was totally hardcore. So there's plenty of room for some cattle-raiding Pentan societies who like to live in houses instead of yurts - if anything, you'd really expect there to be some, since they did rule most of Peloria from time to time and should've picked up a thing or two. But I'm not sure they exist in any source material as it stands!

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

So I guess I'm going to bite, but it's honestly kind of hard to pin this down to Glorantha. In terms of aesthetics, though, the walled village in one of the earlier screenshots looks a whole lot like Sintashta culture settlements, and the logo has a Seima-Turbino -style dagger, so along with the clothing that points pretty clearly towards the Eurasian steppes as far as source material goes. I think there were some images of shamanic masks, too, which would go well with Siberia.

On the Glorantha side of things, in the screenshot with the clan ring, the clan leader had the Fire Rune. That should narrow things down a lot (assuming it wasn't a red herring), since the only people with ruling gods associated with the Fire Rune is associated mainly with Dara Happans and Pentans. But neither of them really live in wooden houses that we've seen in some of the images here - Dara Happans are city people and Pentans are nomads with no permanent settlements. In Genertala, just about all sedentary, mixed farming clan societies that we know of are some variety of Orlanthi, and I think the only ones out of them have a Fire Rune chief god are the Caladralanders of the Holy Country, with their volcano worship, but since the area is supposed to be tropical, it doesn't really fit what we've seen of the clothing. Going further west doesn't really help either since people there are either filthy monotheists, primitive hunter-gatherers or more Orlanthi. So, I guess I'm stumped.

That said, Pent is enormous and not very well defined in the Gloranthan material, and the only thing that really seems to stick is that Sheng Seleris was totally hardcore. So there's plenty of room for some cattle-raiding Pentan societies who like to live in houses instead of yurts - if anything, you'd really expect there to be some, since they did rule most of Peloria from time to time and should've picked up a thing or two. But I'm not sure they exist in any source material as it stands!

So...I can't say either way, I'm sure you'll understand.

That said, your "bite" was quite impressive! I can confirm the real-world inspirations are scarily spot on.

edit: iirc Pentans in Glorantha are already kind of coded as classical Scythian/Mongol. Do with that what you will. ;)

Karellen

Arcane
So...I can't say either way, I'm sure you'll understand.

That said, your "bite" was quite impressive! I can confirm the real-world inspirations are scarily spot on.

edit: iirc Pentans in Glorantha are already kind of coded as classical Scythian/Mongol. Do with that what you will. ;)

Oh, of course! I'm just thinking aloud (while stoking my interest for the game), because one of the things that personally annoys me about Glorantha is how the Orlanthi have pretty much cornered the "petty kingdom barbarians" cultural niche; there just don't seem to be any people with that sort of lifestyle who don't worship the dumb golden-age-wrecking storm god. Admittedly that's partly due to Glorantha's metaphysics, so hunter-gatherers who learn agriculture and settle in villages would also abandon their old cults and pick up ones more suited for their new way of life, but still, more would be nice (I've made up some for my own Glorantha games, of course). So when material about Six Ages began to come out, with the premise that it would be about a different society but still deal with clans and raiding and so on, I was pretty curious where you'd find a society like that. My default guess early on was that it would be the Holy Country, since there's a lot of material on it and it's sufficiently different from the Dragon Pass, but if you people have thought of something that veers further off, even better.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
but if you people have thought of something that veers further off, even better.

So...I really have to watch what I say.
The culture doesn't play incredibly differently to the Orlanthi on the system level, there are still cattle raids, there is a village etc. But yes, I do think we "veered further off" quite a bit. And the culture "feels" different.

Karellen

Arcane
I'll stop baiting you now, and wait and see! It's certainly nice if it's some less-known area, since a game like this would need to go pretty deep into lifestyle and the mythology of the area, and there isn't really any place in Glorantha that's had anywhere near as much detail put into it as Dragon Pass, except maybe Pavis. But that's just where Orlanthi heroes go to dungeon crawl and have pulp adventures when they get tired of cattle robbing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom