Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingcomrade Best Games of 2014 Thread Thread

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
They are not in any order, because when games are great trying to nitpick them into slots over minor subjective nonsense is a waste of time. Also as usual, these are games I played in 2014, they might not have come out in 2014, but I don't give much of a shit about that. They're what I played in 2014 that I thought were great.

This War of Mine- This game is incredible, and I am so happy I live in a world where it was made. It's a good game mechanically, it's a good game in its message or whatever. It has consequences for being a dick. Like, a lot of games present being a dick vs being moral as something of a player choice (as in, the only difference is you THE PLAYER must make a MORAL CHOICE that means nothing to gameplay), but in this game it has mechanical consequences, your survivors get depressed if you are a dick and you have to deal with it.
Valiant Hearts- Ubisoft doesn't fuck up for once. An easy puzzle game about WW1. I remember a long time ago there was a person on the Codex who was adamant that there could not possibly ever be a good game about WW1. He was smart in some respects but a moron in general. The soundtrack is okay, but honestly if you listen to it outside of context it's very simple. I'll admit to getting invested in it enough that the ending gave me some watery eyes.
Wolfenstein New Order- Very simple game, yet very fun. Good job on achieving that, that's like the unicorn of modern shooters. It's most fun if you try to play a stealth run.
Walking Dead Season 2- Well, yeah.
Stanley Parable (I played it in 2014, it came out in the last month of 2013, it counts): Bonus achievement: My favorite game I played this year. You know I am currently re-reading Terry Pratchett novels, and the voice in my head is this narrator. I fucking hate Dota and never play it any more, but I still bought the Stanley Parable announcer packs just in case I ever in the future play the game again). I can't really express intelligently how I feel about this game, I have found all the endings, but once every 2 evenings I find myself wanting to play it again. I love it.
Transistor (It wasn't as good as bastion, but it was still pretty neat)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengance (came out in 2013, but I played it in 2014)- Possibly the best video game ever created on so many different levels, it's brilliant. Two tracks from the soundtrack got up for grammies, but grammies don't matter. They put a lot of effort into them and they bore fruit. Awesome game, awesome soundtrack.

So, I'm at 7, 2 of which are from 2013. I'm looking on my Steam games list and my GoG account for ideas.
Oh. I know.
Bayonetta 2. I know for a fact that if I had a Wii U and played this game I would love it. I have not played it myself, just watched streams and youtube, but we can derple the requirements so that it fits in right? I kind of want to buy a Wii U and a TV to play the Wii U on just for this game, and the promise of a metroid game in the future.

Worst Game of 2014:
Planetary Annihilation- Fuck these people. This is the one time I succumbed to early access beta access shit eating access or whatever. And it's a fucking awful game. God damnit. I wish so hard it was good, because I assume like most people I wanted a total annihilation successor. They failed. It's bad in so many ways. God damnit :(

Dota 2- Why have I been playing this game for almost a decade now. It's never been fun. I never have fun when I play it. I am doing okay now, I play maybe 1 game a month. Soon I will be free. It's just my real life friends play it, and so I play it to hang out with them on Skype. Even then, I wish we did something else. We played Left 4 Dead 2 once, and I had a ton of fun, though apparently everyone else thought it was too hard. Christ.

Not Included Specifically:
Wasteland 2- A game that made me at almost every point want to go back and play Fallout 1 because it did the same thing so much better. Disappointing.

Tell me if I missed something important that is not a console game, I'm eager, sir, eager, to consume more good things.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Maybe your friends are trying to send you a hint by always playing games like Dota 2 even though they know you don't like it.

A horse of course

Thanks for the recommendations, friend comrade. I can't see myself getting back into Telltale games, or Valiant Hearts (I may as well get it for my ipad anyway) but your support for This War of Mine definitely has me interested. I agree with you on Wolfenstein: TNO, despite its many flaws.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Divinity: Original Sin even with all it's flaws was the best game of 2014

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, here is a disturbing lack of edgy commenting. Decline and all that. Anyway, hardly had time to actually play games this year. Adulthood is finally getting to me or something. Played a lot of games only for a short bit and dropped quite a few to wait for them to be patched up (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and Divinity) So yeah, really not much that I've played extensively enough to be able to call GOTY material. Not to mention that the ones I was really looking forward to (Elite and Hotline Miami 2) have yet to materialise. Anyway, for what it's worth.

Banner Saga. Yup. That's it. Only 2014 game I played from start to finish and loved. The rest I either played for a bit and dropped or postponed. Why did I keep on trucking with this one? I enjoyed the art, story, choices and battles. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. Though I did feel they could have done a lot more with the game. Especially in the battle department. There's only a handfull of battle maps that present challenges and opportunities themselves. Hope they change this aspect in the sequel.

Potentials: South Park was fun but simplistic and lost me halfway through. Far Cry 4 is a hoot but I can see me getting burned out on the old Ubisoft sandbox play in a little while. Middle Earth was fun but ultimately empty and shallow. Though the nemesis system is something I'd love to see again. Endless Legend needs an actual AI patched in. When it does it becomes my instant GOTY for ages to come. Alien was scary but needed some serious editing. Luftrausers was a neat re-imagining of the flash game. I still like the flash game better tho.

TripJack

Hedonist
wolfenstein console shooter - shit
walking dead shit tv show & made by shit telltale - shit
stanley parable 30 minute long ungame - irrelevant
metal gear lol good one - shit
bayonetta lol even gooder one - shit

:1/5: go back to spamming warhammer pics faget

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I'm torn between Original Sin and Depression Quest.
South Park included, I don't think I bought a single new 2013/2014 game this year that wasn't a CRPG or JRPG. Wasteland 2 and Blackguards were nice. Haven't played Shadowrun Returns 2 nor Banner Saga (much) but there's those as well, and MMX. Outside of RPGs, Guilty Gear Xrd ought to be among the best non popamole A/AAA releases of the year and the best fighting game in a long while.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Maybe your friends are trying to send you a hint by always playing games like Dota 2 even though they know you don't like it.
XDDDD
Disturbing lack of actual good games on that list, kc.
Not sure what list you're reading, I posted mine with the good games in it in OP
wolfenstein console shooter - shit
walking dead shit tv show & made by shit telltale - shit
stanley parable 30 minute long ungame - irrelevant
metal gear lol good one - shit
bayonetta lol even gooder one - shit

:1/5: go back to spamming warhammer pics faget
Effort post upboat please

I thought of another game that should be on the list, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Well, here is a disturbing lack of edgy commenting. Decline and all that. Anyway, hardly had time to actually play games this year. Adulthood is finally getting to me or something. Played a lot of games only for a short bit and dropped quite a few to wait for them to be patched up (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and Divinity) So yeah, really not much that I've played extensively enough to be able to call GOTY material. Not to mention that the ones I was really looking forward to (Elite and Hotline Miami 2) have yet to materialise. Anyway, for what it's worth.
I work at a software company where everyone's a nerd so they're all gamers, and we all seem to have the same problem, we buy games constantly but never actually play them. I just got through a ton since I've been home sick last week. I still haven't played Child of Light, Devil May Cry, a couple humble bundle's worth of stuff,half minute hero, sometimes always monsters...I've played like 3 hours of Tomb Raider...

Banner Saga. Yup. That's it. Only 2014 game I played from start to finish and loved. The rest I either played for a bit and dropped or postponed. Why did I keep on trucking with this one? I enjoyed the art, story, choices and battles. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. Though I did feel they could have done a lot more with the game. Especially in the battle department. There's only a handfull of battle maps that present challenges and opportunities themselves. Hope they change this aspect in the sequel.
This is on my Steam wishlist and I'm going to get it during the Christmas sale, it's another I've heard a ton about.

Thanks for the recommendations, friend comrade. I can't see myself getting back into Telltale games, or Valiant Hearts (I may as well get it for my ipad anyway) but your support for This War of Mine definitely has me interested. I agree with you on Wolfenstein: TNO, despite its many flaws.
Yeah it had a lot of flaws but ended up being really fun anyways. This War of Mine is one of my favorite games of the year, I really like it. It's a game where all the fuzzy bits like aesthetic and message and so on are great, but the core gameplay is also really great. The only thing that is really negative about it is that it kind of lacks replayability. Some bits are randomly generated, but most of the game is not. Like, you get different events and I think some of the loot is random, you start with different people, but overall you end up doing the same things each playthrough. Still really great though I'd definitely recommend it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This War of Mine- This game is incredible, and I am so happy I live in a world where it was made. It's a good game mechanically, it's a good game in its message or whatever. It has consequences for being a dick. Like, a lot of games present being a dick vs being moral as something of a player choice (as in, the only difference is you THE PLAYER must make a MORAL CHOICE that means nothing to gameplay), but in this game it has mechanical consequences, your survivors get depressed if you are a dick and you have to deal with it.
Valiant Hearts- Ubisoft doesn't fuck up for once. An easy puzzle game about WW1. I remember a long time ago there was a person on the Codex who was adamant that there could not possibly ever be a good game about WW1. He was smart in some respects but a moron in general. The soundtrack is okay, but honestly if you listen to it outside of context it's very simple. I'll admit to getting invested in it enough that the ending gave me some watery eyes.
Wolfenstein New Order- Very simple game, yet very fun. Good job on achieving that, that's like the unicorn of modern shooters. It's most fun if you try to play a stealth run.
Walking Dead Season 2- Well, yeah.
Stanley Parable (I played it in 2014, it came out in the last month of 2013, it counts): Bonus achievement: My favorite game I played this year. You know I am currently re-reading Terry Pratchett novels, and the voice in my head is this narrator. I fucking hate Dota and never play it any more, but I still bought the Stanley Parable announcer packs just in case I ever in the future play the game again). I can't really express intelligently how I feel about this game, I have found all the endings, but once every 2 evenings I find myself wanting to play it again. I love it.
Transistor (It wasn't as good as bastion, but it was still pretty neat)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengance (came out in 2013, but I played it in 2014)- Possibly the best video game ever created on so many different levels, it's brilliant. Two tracks from the soundtrack got up for grammies, but grammies don't matter. They put a lot of effort into them and they bore fruit. Awesome game, awesome soundtrack.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
wow warlords of draenor

might & magic X

probably gta V dunno haven't played it yet

worst: pillars of eternity beta lol

Dark Souls 2 is basically the only 2014 game I've played this year (besides 90 minutes of PoE Beta before the thermals on my craptop started to spike; gotta cop a new system, I guess), with Bayonetta 2, Underrail (does this count as 2014?), and Divinity: Original Sin the only other things I have any real interest in.

Good year for back catalogue catchup, I guess.

Also KC, emulate God Hand (if you don't have a some console capable of playing Gaystation 2 titles). Made by Clover Studios, where most of Platinum Games staff worked beforehand. It has a similar sort of frenetic action alongside a hilarious sense of humor and a completely unique (and excellent) soundtrack.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My "Games of 2014" list. Like kc, I start from December 2013 and go to November 2014, and likewise I'm only counting games I played to any real extent. Sadly there will be games that probably deserve to be here but miss out, but c'est la vie.

I'll start with the "Early Access" mention - which obviously is Broforce. No other game in "EA status" comes close to this. It's pure, mindless retro run 'n' gun action. Highly recommended, even in its current state.

Now for the runner-ups (in proper order):

Five Nights At Freddy's - for such a simple little game, it really can drive people up the wall and over the edge. It does a lot of things right when it comes to horror, tension and suspense.

Alien: Isolation - The only "AAA" title to make the list, and really only gets on here because of lack of competition. For every thing it does right, it does something wrong, and it really could have used some added love from the developers. It's not one of the better Xenomorph-related games available, but at least it's not one of the horrible ones either.

Goat Simulator - Another game that's in here simply due to lack of competition. It's a simple sandbox game and doesn't have much replay value, but the concept and good humour is what makes it stand out for me.

[DATA EXPUNGED] - As much as I want to recommend this game and even name it GOTY, I can't do so with a clear conscience, because despite all its brilliance, it's "infected" with major contributions from individuals like Zoe Quinn, Jim Sterling and other toxic individuals from the Indie game/gaming journalism circlejerk hategroup. (I'll leave it up to astute readers to know what game I'm talking about.)

And my GOTY of 2014 is:

Legend of Grimrock 2 - It's a niche game catering only to fans of a certain sub-genre of RPGs, but it nails (almost) every target it's aiming for. It builds on the original, and then improves upon it. The modding scene alone will make this game worth people's time in the foreseeable future.

DemonKing

Arcane
I barely played any non-CRPGs this year due to the glut of good-excellent non-AAA CRPGs that came out.

If we're talking non-CRPGs I'd probably go Wolfenstein over Walking Dead 2.

CRPGs would be more difficult - probably I'd go with M&MX closely followed by Grimrock2. Wasteland 2 is also very good but I haven't got around to finishing that one yet.

Ivan

Arcane
Does Dragonfall count? I enjoyed myself plenty with glor-that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom