Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingcomrade Best Games of 2014 Thread Thread

Destroid

Arcane
The Last Federation was interesting although ultimately disappointing. Beyond Earth and Wh40k Armageddon are bad.

That's all the 2014 games I've played.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It mystifyies me that there are people who think they have opinions that matter. I am telling you what the best games were. You are not smart. Your opinion matters a lot to you, but fucking lol we're all laughing at you. I'm telling you what the best games were that I played. I do leave that wiggle room for games I didn't play, and there were a lot.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I have this idea in my head of what the generic redditor would say is the best games of 2014. I will have to sit back and watch. I will see the display of brilliance by super smart people. Are Codexers different from reddit? Oh, no. Well they will post stuff for me to see. I'm sure all smart

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Original Sin is really good, I think you'd like it KC. It's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously and you can cause far more explosions than fantasy RPGs usually allow.

Need to give This War of Mine a go, but this has been a happily good year for gaming to me. M&M X was fun (if a bit tedious sometimes), Wasteland 2 was good if not a classic (gets better in the second half, ignore the babies who cry about it being less polished because there's far more interesting stuff), Original Sin is really good and I look forward to seeing what they do next. Revengeance is so good that it counts for this year too. Shadow of Mordor was worth it for the Nemesis system even though the rest of the game kind of sucked, that bit was memorable. Dark Souls 2 is the worst Souls game but it's still really good by any other standard. New Smash Bros is the best Smash Bros yet and the 3DS Zelda was quite good. It's been a fun year really

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My tr00 Codexian list:
Very meta. Hopefully this is not what you endorse

It is in a way. I got bored with this hobby a long time ago actually but i kept at it only because i need ways to alleviate my depression. But i still find the decline irritating. Almost every single game out there has an older counterpart that just did it better. I just don't understand it. The last game i played that i actually enjoyed was Dark Souls. A 2011 game that feels like it was made a decade earlier. But that felt more like discovering an old classic and from what i've seen of the sequel it seems this series as already declined. Maybe Bloodborne will bring it back to its feet but at any rate, the point is that the game felt more like an exception to the rule. A drop of old school quality in a never ending sea of shit.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This War of Mine (very good, low replayability despite some randomness)
Bayonetta 2 (skip all cutscenes, the dialog and story are hilariously bad, but the gameplay is fun as shit.)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
The Talos Principle (Didn't think I would like it but the people behind it were clever)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC) (also the greatest game ever made, it will never be topped)
Prison Architect (manager games have been mostly unimpressive for years, this one is fun)
Valiant Hearts (artsy fartsy but they did a good job)
Transistor (yes yes we all know it's not as good as Bastion, but it's still great)
Stanley Parable (counts as 2014) (a game went meta without being up its own ass, and actually being funny, also I wish desperately for Poker Night 3 At the Inventory to have the narrator as the host)
Mario Kart 8 (what can I say)
FTL: Advanced Edition

Worst Game of 2014:
Planetary Annihiliation (fuck these people, this is the one time I fell prey to early access bullshit. Surely it can't be bad it's like TA2 with a bunch of the same people! But it's terrible)

Games I bought during the Steam sale but haven't played yet:
Shadow of Mordor
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
Dungeon of the ENdless
Shovel Knight

I bought more but they're mostly 2013 games I never played.

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
As a true codexer, I only read the Worst Game part.

Anyway I'm curious, what's wrong with PA?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I thought I posted this a few days ago, I log in and apparently I just closed my browser without pressing submit, or something. edit- nope, not a moron, the moron is the mod who just pasted my new thread into an old thread. Good job, moron, you added negative value to the forum. What mental processes lead to bad decisions? Only Codex mods can answer.

Anyways, the list is limited to what I actually played blah blah

Valiant Hearts (artsy fartsy but fun and good)
This War Of Mine (A very good game. It's subject matter is a bit...like, they melodramatize the idea of morality in a situation like that, in reality most people aren't actually assholes no matter what the edgy teenagers like to believe, but the best thing was that there were mechanical consequences for being an asshole which require you to deal with, THAT is what games can do if we go down the games-are-art avenue, it's what they have to offer)
Stanley Parable (I played it in 2014, suck my balls, but I love the game, it's a meta-game about games without being up its own asshole and it's funny)
Talos Princple (This game certainly is a bit up it's own ass, but it's still a great production and I enjoyed all the time I spent with it, I think it was a good idea the company that made it did well, and was a good idea)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth (I love the game, it's a matter of taste about how you like games like this, but honestly even though Ih ave 20 games I have on Steam and Origin that need to be played, I keep going back to Rebirth just because it's engaging, I'm also one of the few people who isn't turbo-butthurt about the new soundtrack, I like it)

Bayonetta 2 (I finally played this game because during my Christmas vacatiion my family bought a Wii U so we could play Mario Kart 8 together, and I got this because I desperately wanted to play it since Platinum made the best game ever made MGR: Revengeance, and it was honestly pretty great. It's actually pretty fucking hard, you can win even if you're bad like me, but if you care you can learn to be better, I can see clearly how that happens. It's so fun. However, the dialogue and story bits are painful to watch, just skip them.)

Mario Kart 8 (of course, every mario kart game is always good)

Transistor (Yeah it's not as good as Bastion, but it's still pretty great)

FTL: Advanced Edition (Except for the final boss, FTL is always fun to play)

Prison Architect (Surprisingly enjoyable city-builder sort of game, I actually found myself spending a ton of time playing it recently, it's like Startopia or Theme Hospital in the way it works)

Wolfentstein New Order

The best game of 2014:
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (It's the best game of every year. No game will ever top it, so as long as I am on this forum I will claim it's the best game of that year)

Worst Game of 2014:
Planetary Annihilation (fuck the people who made this. This is the one early access swindle I fell for in my whole life. Other people want to try and say it's not so bad, just not very good, but I think it's a poorly designed piece of shit, they did a terrible job and fuck them for taking a dump on Total Annihilation. Never again)

I have other games I've bought but not played yet, actually kind of a large backlog now. Having a real job sucks in that way, you don't get to play games all day

Last edited:

7h30n

Augur
My best games this year (that I played obviously):

System Shock - played for the first time, amazing game in every aspect (except it becomes very easy very early)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - bought during this holiday sale, too short but bloody good jolly fun (already in Top 10 most played according to Steam).
Rockman (Mega Man) - still haven't finished (damn you Dr. Wily levels) but I'm amazed how tightly it is designed, simple yet so fun to play
Crusader Kings II - I think this is my favourite Paradox game (already in Top 10 most played according to Steam)
Xenonauts - not quite as fun as UFO: Enemy Unknown but still very good
Invisible Inc. - early access game but has very good gameplay already
Wrack - one hell of a good FPS, the only flaw would be uninspiring enemy model design (shameless plug: check the E1L2 score attack leaderbords and look at the 1st place)
Wargame: European Escalation - I was worried I will not like this take on RTS formula but it has so many carefully thought out details it ranks among the best
Expeditions: Conquistador - rare setting and very good at integrating the story and game design with it
King of Fighters XIII: Steam Edition - I like fighting games and this is a very well done port, game encourages agressive play (which I like) but sadly it is no Guilty Gear (which again is my preference)

Games I played but can't consider the best:
Dishonoured - I want to like this game but I just can't... For some reason it is boring and I dropped it after (according to Steam) 5hrs
Bastion - banal (shit) boring
Wargame: Red Dragon - haven't played as much compared to EE so I can't comment on it's quality
Chaos Reborn - I backed this and looks quite promising by what little I played
Warlock - Master of the Arcane - seems fun in multiplayer but I haven't played much

Can these even be considered games?
Mean Streets - first outing of Tex Murphy, (below) average adventure with some neat ideas
Martian Memorandum - second outing of Tex Murphy, improvement from Mean Streets but still clunky
Under a Killing Moon - logical next step of previous Tex Murphy games, much more campy and fun (would include in best games of this year)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
My tr00 Codexian list:

JgfE2x6.gif

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
A mod on the Codex is very bad at his job. He thinks pasting my new threads into my old threads somehow improves the forum somehow, and once someone who is very stupid gets that sort of idea into their head you can't fix it.

The mod who is doing it, could you PM me? I would like to talk to you.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Mod who is convinced he is doing a good job by moving my posts, PM me so I can explain why you are doing a bad job

I thought I posted this a few days ago, I log in and apparently I just closed my browser without pressing submit, or something. edit- nope, not a moron, the moron is the mod who just pasted my new thread into an old thread. Good job, moron, you added negative value to the forum. What mental processes lead to bad decisions? Only Codex mods can answer.

Anyways, the list is limited to what I actually played blah blah

Valiant Hearts (artsy fartsy but fun and good)
This War Of Mine (A very good game. It's subject matter is a bit...like, they melodramatize the idea of morality in a situation like that, in reality most people aren't actually assholes no matter what the edgy teenagers like to believe, but the best thing was that there were mechanical consequences for being an asshole which require you to deal with, THAT is what games can do if we go down the games-are-art avenue, it's what they have to offer)
Stanley Parable (I played it in 2014, suck my balls, but I love the game, it's a meta-game about games without being up its own asshole and it's funny)
Talos Princple (This game certainly is a bit up it's own ass, but it's still a great production and I enjoyed all the time I spent with it, I think it was a good idea the company that made it did well, and was a good idea)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth (I love the game, it's a matter of taste about how you like games like this, but honestly even though Ih ave 20 games I have on Steam and Origin that need to be played, I keep going back to Rebirth just because it's engaging, I'm also one of the few people who isn't turbo-butthurt about the new soundtrack, I like it)

Bayonetta 2 (I finally played this game because during my Christmas vacatiion my family bought a Wii U so we could play Mario Kart 8 together, and I got this because I desperately wanted to play it since Platinum made the best game ever made MGR: Revengeance, and it was honestly pretty great. It's actually pretty fucking hard, you can win even if you're bad like me, but if you care you can learn to be better, I can see clearly how that happens. It's so fun. However, the dialogue and story bits are painful to watch, just skip them.)

Mario Kart 8 (of course, every mario kart game is always good)

Transistor (Yeah it's not as good as Bastion, but it's still pretty great)

FTL: Advanced Edition (Except for the final boss, FTL is always fun to play)

Prison Architect (Surprisingly enjoyable city-builder sort of game, I actually found myself spending a ton of time playing it recently, it's like Startopia or Theme Hospital in the way it works)

Wolfentstein New Order

The best game of 2014:
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (It's the best game of every year. No game will ever top it, so as long as I am on this forum I will claim it's the best game of that year)

Worst Game of 2014:
Planetary Annihilation (fuck the people who made this. This is the one early access swindle I fell for in my whole life. Other people want to try and say it's not so bad, just not very good, but I think it's a poorly designed piece of shit, they did a terrible job and fuck them for taking a dump on Total Annihilation. Never again)

I have other games I've bought but not played yet, actually kind of a large backlog now. Having a real job sucks in that way, you don't get to play games all day

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom