Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
IMO you should go with the flow. Don't load games unless you die, just keep going.

Krivol

Magister
You are supposed to fail the quest. Even if you "complete" it the proper way, it ends in failure and there is no difference to plot. It's a really shit quest, I hate it. Wish it was either done properly instead of being such a throwaway time waster. Shame because I was looking forward to some cool stealth gameplay. The best result you can have in it is just doing it until you can get to the armory, looting as much shit as you can and fucking off out of there.

Yeah what a piece of crap. I did do it the proper way in the end only for it to be revealed a pointless endeavour. Fuckers couldn't have handled this story bit with a goddamn cutscene instead of cockteasing me into restarting over and over? As a side note, while me Hans were sneaking up there I saw my own goddamn horse standing in the yard. Horse I thought I left safe behind. Damn these guys are good!

I still like the game a lot but damned if it isn't doing its best to change my mind.

I had the same issue with my horse there. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've ended up telling all novices about my plans in hopes to confront the right one and it worked except after I killed him I cannot figure out how to leave the monastery.
I had broken into the monastery some days earlier in order to steal a book for an unrelated quest, and the doors I lockpicked at that time were still unlocked, so I was simply able to stroll out of the monastery after killing the right person. :M

Oddly enough, the locked bookcase containing the volume I had sought was also still opened, but the monk at work in the library wouldn't notice it until Henry walked close to him, at which point the monk would suddenly notice the unlocked bookcase, jump to the conclusion that Henry-disguised-as-a-new-acolyte was responsible, panic, and run off screaming about an intruder. :hahano:

Beowulf

Arcane
I've ended up telling all novices about my plans in hopes to confront the right one and it worked except after I killed him I cannot figure out how to leave the monastery.
I had broken into the monastery some days earlier in order to steal a book for an unrelated quest, and the doors I lockpicked at that time were still unlocked, so I was simply able to stroll out of the monastery after killing the right person. :M

Oddly enough, the locked bookcase containing the volume I had sought was also still opened, but the monk at work in the library wouldn't notice it until Henry walked close to him, at which point the monk would suddenly notice the unlocked bookcase, jump to the conclusion that Henry-disguised-as-a-new-acolyte was responsible, panic, and run off screaming about an intruder. :hahano:

I looted the bookcase before the monastery quest as well. But there was a book needed for some side-quest in the monastery, which I either sold, or it was taken from me with the rest of my belongings when I entered the monastery as a novice, can't really remember. The doors going through the cathedral, which I picked open, were closed this time, and I had looted the lockpick from behind the altar as well, so I had to steal food to buy a new lockpick from one of the monks (apparently you could sell him the potions you make during your chores, but I don't know if that's still the case).

RepHope

Savant
Finally finished it. Overall I’d give it a 7.5, it’s an enjoyable experience but it has some pretty heavy flaws that prevent it from being truly great in my opinion. The plot twist is fairly generic and didn’t do anything for me. Also I’m not sure if I’m happy or pissed the plot about killing the German dude went fucking nowhere. He never even shows up again, instead we spend the whole game chasing that homosexual. If Henry beat him in the equivalent of two weeks it would’ve been dumb so I guess I’m ok with it.

Jesus Christ what was even the point of that epilogue though? Lamest ending ever that’s basically a shitty infodump. And goddamn we really ended the game cucked out of both our sword and revenge against that fuckboi in black? I hope the sequel delivers.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Lamest ending ever that’s basically a shitty infodump.
Exactly my thoughts.

"Guys, there won't be enough time to give Deliverance a proper ending. What should we do about it?"

Sigh... it was like Mafia 2 all over again. I love both games, but they are simply unfinished. Hopefully Vávra manages to finally break that curse with Kingdom Come 2.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This game is 10/10 until Runt fight (the last one, not the first one), after that it's getting worse and worse. It's sad, cos' it really has potential.
The game should have ended with the second Runt fight, though with Henry retrieving his father's sword from Runt in order to give his story some degree of closure. The parts of the main quest that occur afterward were obviously rushed, dragged out by a poorly-fabricated monastery sequence, a second bandit fortified camp, and a siege for the sake of having a siege.

Since Henry's story would have been completed, we could then be looking forward to Kingdom Come II: Hussite Wars, with further refinement of the game's various mechanics.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I laughed when I won the Talmberg horse race by simply pushing the other contestants off the start lines prior to the race.
When I talked to the race official, he goes 'WTF where is everyone else?! Goddamn! Totally no respect! Oh well, since you're the only one here, Henry, I declare you the winner!'

:lol:

Barbarian

Arcane
Why didn't they finish the story through the dlcs?

I don't think this is the game of game well implemented through sequels. Controlling the same character complicates things. How will they handle stat/choice transfer, specially on console? I mean I doubt the next game in the series will be for current gen consoles.

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh, stat/choice transfer across games is so much headaches for so little gain, even on PC only. Same-character sequels managed fine without those gimmicks in the past.

I certainly wouldn't mind a new story, though. I didn't mind Henry but there was nothing there worth bothering for a whole trilogy.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why didn't they finish the story through the dlcs?

I don't think this is the game of game well implemented through sequels. Controlling the same character complicates things. How will they handle stat/choice transfer, specially on console? I mean I doubt the next game in the series will be for current gen consoles.
nobody cares about consoles
the only reason devs release games on consoles is because dumbasses actually own them

Barbarian

Arcane
Eh, stat/choice transfer across games is so much headaches for so little gain, even on PC only. Same-character sequels managed fine without those gimmicks in the past.

Did they? Only if they had well established characters with well established potentials. Geralt being a good example, we all know what he is and what he is capable of, he can only be represented inside of variations from what is already established for the character, no problem reutilizing him in games of the witcher series.

Henry though? It will be dumb if a sneaky/thieving/drunk/whoring Henry becomes a heavily armored paragon of knighthood in the sequel, for instance. It will be also dumb if you start the game with a blank slate after developing your character into something for several hours in the previous game.

I certainly wouldn't mind a new story, though. I didn't mind Henry but there was nothing there worth bothering for a whole trilogy.

That is one of the main reasons for finishing the story now. The fact they won't means we are stuck with the current protagonist and his plot.

deama

Prophet
I hope they just finish the story with an expension pack (dlc), I really don't want to start off as a blank slate in the sequel with the same character, or play a different character but happen to stumble upon henry and have him explain the conclusion to his story... or not I guess.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope they just finish the story with an expension pack (dlc), I really don't want to start off as a blank slate in the sequel with the same character, or play a different character but happen to stumble upon henry and have him explain the conclusion to his story... or not I guess.
An interesting idea to conclude Henry's story via an expansion, but unfortunately Smejki already confirmed that the next KCD will continue Henry's story. :argh:
That's a bit of a bummer.
Henry must be one of the least interesting characters I've ever played in a game with a premade character.
I mean.. he's basically just a "nice guy" with absolutely no edges or anything of interest. They went with the "Orcs killed my family" background of all things!

And how will he even be in the second part?
If they let you keep your skills, etc. (BG1-2 style) how can that even be improved upon? Enter the supernatural? :lol:
Or will you get a blow to the head and forget all your skills? Meh.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, Paul_cz SlamDunk, you gotta explain to me what the hell is interesting about Henry.
He has no personal conflicts other than his revenge (and that isn't really a conflict as everyone wants the same as he does, more or less).
He has no personality traits other than "nice guy" and "pretty stupid/naive".
He is just a peasant, with no relevant backstory.

He is as close to a blank slate as it gets, so... what does he bring to the table that a truly blank character (as in custom character generation) does not?
What makes it worth to follow this specific character?

For me, this is really a problem. I simply cannot identify with village idiots, and having to play one made me cringe quite often when running around as Henry.

Yeah, Henry was a terrible choice for a main character. It kinda set the tone for much of the game being boring, since being a peasant in Middle Ages was quite boring.

They should've went with some sort of Knight/Squire character, which would've put the emphasis on training, mastering various types of combat, jousting, tourneys, warfare, chivalry, etc. A book like Conan Doyle's The White Company or Sir Nigel would've been a great guideline.

Playing as a developing Knight during those times would've been fascinating. Playing as the village yokel, not so much. Especially since he looks like the prototype yokel.

Hevnknekt

Educated
Playing as a developing Knight during those times would've been fascinating. Playing as the village yokel, not so much. Especially since he looks like the prototype yokel.

It could've been worse.

811px-KingdomCome_Fritz.jpg

Besides, Henry can look decent with the right haircut and beard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom