Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Got bored and left

I believe it was originally streamed on Twitch.

Rabbid

Savant
The devs are beer potato, right? The game for sure features a lot of eye-candy, but I feel that awsum open world games like that eventually have pacing problems and they don't scale quite well. M&B is a good example of solid design (and clever management of resources) by using that overland map and not rendering every boring road and forest into an explorable 3d world for bonus awsum.

My point is that the good gameplay elements it has (ex. swordplay) may not scale well. In a comment on that tech demo they said that you get to be part of an army. What good is that if you have to wander around inside a big boring world in anticipation of some action. Sure, such graphical fidelity while recreating a realistic medieval world is an impressive feat, but gameplay is were enjoyment is to be found and I have a feeling it will be boring as fuck to be inside this realistic medieval world for most of the game time.

I may as well be full of shit tho.

Oesophagus

Arcane
What good is that if you have to wander around inside a big boring world in anticipation of some action. Sure, such graphical fidelity while recreating a realistic medieval world is an impressive feat, but gameplay is were enjoyment is to be found and I have a feeling it will be boring as fuck to be inside this realistic medieval world for most of the game time.

I may as well be full of shit tho.

I don't know, man. One of the things that really bugged me about F3 (and New Vegas) was the fact you couldn't walk ten meters in any direction without bumping into some shit. Either a random mob or some pointless location to loot. If the game keeps throwing 'action' at you, then it becomes mundane pretty quick.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm eagerly awaiting dwarf fortress level of simulation in games like these. I mean, when stuff happens for a reason and is not some random scripted thing. Red Dead Redemption randomness felt so damn tacked on.

"Oh I'm getting robbed again"

*Shoots lady in distress*

Rabbid

Savant
I don't know, man. One of the things that really bugged me about F3 (and New Vegas) was the fact you couldn't walk ten meters in any direction without bumping into some shit. Either a random mob or some pointless location to loot. If the game keeps throwing 'action' at you, then it becomes mundane pretty quick.

Well, I didn't refer to encounter design or any other design choice that has to do with "filling the space". Going full open-world without any form of abstraction is choosing a core mechanic that your entire game will revolve around. Bethesda games (Obsidian had some basic guidelines to follow for FNV), like them or not, are designed with this in mind and that's why they fill a niche. The world is built around the player and that is the main gameplay focus. No matter what delusions of world-building they add to suspend one's disbelief of what the core mechanic is, the world is there just to host the player's actions. Now, of course every game world is created for the player, what I mean here is that game progress (as a mechanical process) depends on the full, explorable open-world design.

Games like M&B have other gameplay focuses. I reckon that KC will be a similar game in that regard.

By all means, someday we may get a perfect open-world game that focuses on all gameplay areas their core design enables, and thus it will end all open-world games. It may as well be this one, since there is undoubtedly passion and a sizeable and knowledgable team behind it. I just don't see it happening anytime soon given that the game will be released, eventually, before all hardware in the market gets renewed once more. That's why I say it will probably have scaling and/or pacing issues.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The bigger a gameworld gets, the harder it is to navigate in it. Witcher 3 had that problem, the gameworld was just too big for it to go full gothic will npcs describing you the way to a certain quest locations. Questmarkers were simply mandatory if you didnt want to get frustrated.

In Gothic you had a pretty small gameworld compared to nowadays with distinctive landmarks you could use for orientation. In a witcher 3 gameworld, you have those landmarks (waterfall, hill, forrest, single tree) several times. Also the distance between those landmarks is naturally higher so its much easier for the player to get lost in between.

So fuck realism, give us abstracted high density gameworlds. Witcher 3 would have improved much upon it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We are introducing Tech Alpha 0.5 main features - crime system or adaptive music. We also announced Beta version coming in Q1 2016. Watch the video to see, what we are preparing for you!

Darkzone

Arcane
Lets see if this game reaches feature complete before Scam Citizen
:hmmm:
Most probable. I think that D.Vavra has the plan despite the development milestone set back in 2014 and the use of scrum shit. Scam Citizen has simply received too much money for its own good.

anus_pounder

Arcane
"Despite what I said before it seems we'll have polearms as well." Wait, so there was a point in time when this real history inspired rpg wasn't going to have polearms?

:what:

Eh, :d1p: for me, as usual.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have been offered an alpha key for making some videos on my youtube channel. It seems my channel was chosen because of an old Mount & Blade LP, that I made YEARS ago. Anyway. They keep insisting that I have to do an interview with them over Skype to get the key. Funny thing is I have already declined because of that, but now they contacted me again.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
hehe

I could make an video I guess, the game looks interesting enough. I don't understand the interview part though, it almost sounds like they want to micro-manage what goes into the video, what can and can not be said. I don't know though, not used to this.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have been offered an alpha key for making some videos on my youtube channel. It seems my channel was chosen because of an old Mount & Blade LP, that I made YEARS ago. Anyway. They keep insisting that I have to do an interview with them over Skype to get the key. Funny thing is I have already declined because of that, but now they contacted me again.
Wait a moment. Do i understand this correctly, that you don't want to make an interview with Vavra for the Codex and your youtube channel?

hehe
I could make an video I guess, the game looks interesting enough. I don't understand the interview part though, it almost sounds like they want to micro-manage what goes into the video, what can and can not be said. I don't know though, not used to this.
I think that you should really check yourself by a doctor. Go and make this interview and post the video! Take one for the Codex.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
You misunderstand. They want to "interview" me, tell me about the alpha version and so on with a skype call. After that they will give me a key for their game (I guess).

What I'm thinking here, instead of just sending me the code with information they want to dictate what can and can not be shown and said in that "let's play" video(assuming). I'm not interviewing anyone :)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Maybe they just want to tell you about the game, so you're not going into it totally blind and doing stupid shit (= 90% of random blind LPs) which would make them look bad? Not really censorship I'd say...

Moink

Cipher
"Despite what I said before it seems we'll have polearms as well." Wait, so there was a point in time when this real history inspired rpg wasn't going to have polearms?

If I remember correctly they were having a hard time making the combat work with polearms without making polearms op.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What I'm thinking here, instead of just sending me the code with information they want to dictate what can and can not be shown and said in that "let's play" video(assuming). I'm not interviewing anyone :)

I don't know, maybe they just wanna check if you're not a fat retard with a mug full of boils and a bad lisp or some such.

I wouldn't bother just buy the game and make whatever video you want.

Darkzone

Arcane
You misunderstand. They want to "interview" me, tell me about the alpha version and so on with a skype call. After that they will give me a key for their game (I guess).
I admit that my joke was to well hidden. Next time i will insert a [/joke] tag. But now you know what you should write in a response, as in "if you can beat them, then confuse them". Or you should tell them that you are a fat ugly codexer that plays cRPGs in his parents basement.
Or just clean up your room and make the interview, because KCD is worth it (even as just a hiking simulator), and you can believe me, because i tell you this here as a Mount&Blade gamer and naturally as a KS backer. Or just buy it at their homepage / online shop.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
No thanks. I will just buy the game if it turns out to be any good. Nothing against promoting games per say, but rather do it without developer input.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom