Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Bohemian architecture has some interesting curiosities, like this, from the 19th century:

pDjlqpt.jpg

In opposite to anyone who posted here i'm training martial arts (Kung-Fu, Kickboxing / Muay Thai and Kendo) since i'm 16 years old and i'm certainly the only one here who has been involved in many street fights. I have been attacked with baseball bats, knives and with bottles, but at the end i was the one who was standing on top.

Et tu, Chuck Norris?

And i state to you that there is no superior wisdom in techniques and in the end precision, speed, experience and timing prevails against the inflexible routine of techniques and that has taught me the nearly technique less Kickboxing / Muay Thai and Kendo. While the technical Kung-Fu training has been entirely useless on all accounts.

I think you might be using the word "technique" incorrectly. What you are saying, correctly by the way, is that really complicated and/or flashy techniques typically don't work in a real fight: stuff like those kung fu moves, or the fancy aikido throws, or flying kicks. But you yourself admit that kickboxing/muay thai/kendo/brasilian jui jitsu work very well, and for some reason call them techiqueless. Those arts are just as heavy on technique, it's just that they use more practical, less fancy techique. In kickboxing, you have to learn the technique of throwing different punches (jabs, crosses, uppercuts and hooks), how to put your weight into them while remaining balanced, how to throw kicks, how to block or evade your opponents punches and kicks, and so on. That is all technique, and people train it until it becomes second nature.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Watched some gameplay videos and it looks good, but the main character is voiced. Not a big fan, it takes away from the immersion/roleplaying for me(I like to put my "mental" voice on the character). Does anyone know if they'll remove it or make it optional in the final release?

Didn't like either that the camera changes to 3rd person "floating" view when you start a dialog. I prefer first person like in New Vegas(or atleast 3rd person but behind the character). Not a big issue though.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Immershun seems like the newest word gamerz have learned to describe their x-perience of gaming every game ever and the most important factor of it.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
It's optional - you turn off the voice volume and turn on the subtitles.

Won't that turn the voice of NPCs off aswell? Not what I wanted, since the lips animation would probably still go on and it would probably look a little weird.

Immershun seems like the newest word gamerz have learned to describe their x-perience of gaming every game ever and the most important factor of it.

When I play an RPG I like to roleplay a character, and for me putting your voice on the character is an important factor. Not the most important one, but it definitely affects the overall experience.

Starwars

Arcane

Newest? Uh... I believe the immershun jokes started here around the time Oblivion came out?

Shin

Cipher
there's nothing wrong with immersion, what's wrong is that developers (bethsoft) started using it as the ultimate goal in their quest for rpg goodness. "but why did you dedicate all this development time on nonsensical shit like titty-shaped armors?" ITS IMMERSHUV.

Cadmus

Arcane

Newest? Uh... I believe the immershun jokes started here around the time Oblivion came out?
Yeah, the jokes were there but now I see every fucktard posting retarded drivel about how immershun affects his gameplay x-perience.
I GUESS THEY LEVELED UP

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
People just use IMMERSIVE for the most varied things.

The NPCs don't behave realistically, they're IMMERSIVE
The UI isn't skeuomorphic, it's IMMERSIVE
The physics aren't accurate, they're IMMERSIVE
The weather isn't detailed, it's IMMERSIVE
The systems aren't good simulation, they're IMMERSIVE

People tend to overreact to things and produce unnecessary backlash. Because shitty games used the immersion buzzword in the past, now a lot of people consider the whole concept bad, which is silly of course. Immersion is great, and in fact, a lot of things that old grumpy peoples here love about old RPGs have to do with immersion. Things like having to eat, having to bring various tools and utility objects in order to survive, having to fill out your own map (as in Ultima Underworld), all those gameplay elements add to immersion and are obviously great.

Graphics and game perspective can also add to immersion. With all other things being equal, a first person/third person modern 3D game will be more immersive and better than an isometric 2D game, because with that perspective and those graphics, you will see the world in much better detail, and be significantly more immersed into it. For example, having a large scary creature jump on top of you is clearly much scarier in the former than in the latter. Now you can argue of course, that all other things aren't usually equal, that first person 3D games tend to skimp on other things and so on, but that's a whole other argument.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I didn't know immersion was a forbidden word on this forum. I'll write it in my diary so I don't forget.

Darkzone

Arcane
In opposite to anyone who posted here i'm training martial arts (Kung-Fu, Kickboxing / Muay Thai and Kendo) since i'm 16 years old and i'm certainly the only one here who has been involved in many street fights. I have been attacked with baseball bats, knives and with bottles, but at the end i was the one who was standing on top.
Et tu, Chuck Norris?

If i would have been Chuck Norris, i would have wrote, that i was attacked by Bears, Planes, Tanks and that i have still defeated this armies. I just have a thick skull and there was a time in my life, when i thought, that i was immortal and invincible. But the last off such incidence led to an injury, which resulted in the fact that i nearly died of thrombosis. And yes i have won against this two other guys, but sadly the police thought that i was to healthy after such a fight, so they attacked me from behind as i was holding one of the guys in a choke hold to end the fight.

And i state to you that there is no superior wisdom in techniques and in the end precision, speed, experience and timing prevails against the inflexible routine of techniques and that has taught me the nearly technique less Kickboxing / Muay Thai and Kendo. While the technical Kung-Fu training has been entirely useless on all accounts.
I think you might be using the word "technique" incorrectly. What you are saying, correctly by the way, is that really complicated and/or flashy techniques typically don't work in a real fight: stuff like those kung fu moves, or the fancy aikido throws, or flying kicks. But you yourself admit that kickboxing/muay thai/kendo/brasilian jui jitsu work very well, and for some reason call them techiqueless. Those arts are just as heavy on technique, it's just that they use more practical, less fancy techique. In kickboxing, you have to learn the technique of throwing different punches (jabs, crosses, uppercuts and hooks), how to put your weight into them while remaining balanced, how to throw kicks, how to block or evade your opponents punches and kicks, and so on. That is all technique, and people train it until it becomes second nature.

Basically everything is called a technique, even a single kick like the roundhouse kick or side kick like you have wrote it, but i refer rather to a combination of several specific moves in a specific order with specific defence or attack zones as a technique. This is a differentiation i have learned from the modern Kung-Fu that i have trained and since then i have used it this way. And in this 'martial art' system even there the most simple technique is one specific move on a specific body part of the enemy in a specific situation: deflection of the thumb with the left hand, when the opponent shakes your right hand. (Yes that is very stupid.)
I assume from your post, that you know something about martial arts and i wanted only to clarify why i use this term this way, which seems a little bit weird. I also wanted to write this in the post to LS, but i have just dropped it for some unknow reason.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I play an RPG I like to roleplay a character, and for me putting your voice on the character is an important factor. Not the most important one, but it definitely affects the overall experience.

Here you don't play a blank slate character like in Skyrim or Dark Souls, here you play a predefined dude, like in The Witcher. Hard to "roleplay" those. It's like reading a novel, it's just a different experience.

Cadmus

Arcane

Here you don't play a blank slate character like in Skyrim or Dark Souls, here you play a predefined dude, like in The Witcher. Hard to "roleplay" those. It's like reading a novel, it's just a different experience.
i kant imerz myself when not in Skyrimz open world why my guy speak???
I cant roleyplay Gerard my imershin breaks, 0/10.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
What are the rpg elements of this game? Does it have a decent chardev system or is it rpg-lite hipster trash?

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I see, I thought it was the former. Thanks for the clarification.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

i kant imerz myself when not in Skyrimz open world why my guy speak???
I cant roleyplay Gerard my imershin breaks, 0/10.

As a matter of fact I could never get into the Witcher franchise, indeed. I'm not a fan of the main character in that game. I have no problem playing predefined characters as long as the story and the protagonist hook me. It was not the case with The Witcher. It's still a game with good gameplay, but when I play an RPG I look for more than that.

That said, yes, overall my preference goes towards games like Fallout and Arcanum where you pick player made character and shape it the way you want.

Basically everything is called a technique, even a single kick like the roundhouse kick or side kick like you have wrote it, but i refer rather to a combination of several specific moves in a specific order with specific defence or attack zones as a technique. This is a differentiation i have learned from the modern Kung-Fu that i have trained and since then i have used it this way. And in this 'martial art' system even there the most simple technique is one specific move on a specific body part of the enemy in a specific situation: deflection of the thumb with the left hand, when the opponent shakes your right hand. (Yes that is very stupid.)
I assume from your post, that you know something about martial arts and i wanted only to clarify why i use this term this way, which seems a little bit weird. I also wanted to write this in the post to LS, but i have just dropped it for some unknow reason.

Yeah, sometimes in martial arts schools, they teach a lot of these things called katas, where you kinda go through certain motions, but it's not really meant to simulate real combat. It's just a way for your body to get familiar with certain types of movements and actions, so that when you have to do them later on, your muscles and nerves can do them quickly and effortlessly. Kinda like a boxer punching a punching bag over and over to get used to throwing jabs, hookers, crosses. You won't use it exactly that way in a fight, but your body memorizes the basic patterns.

In effective practical martial arts like boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, bjj, wrestling, those moves are relatively simple, because in a real fight, people have all these hormones/chemicals/feelings going through them, like fear, anger, pain, so even simple moves aren't that easy to pull off, and the very sophisticated stuff like bending someone's pinky with your foot while they are punching you in the face is pretty much impossible.

Darkzone

Arcane
Yeah, sometimes in martial arts schools, they teach a lot of these things called katas, where you kinda go through certain motions, but it's not really meant to simulate real combat. It's just a way for your body to get familiar with certain types of movements and actions, so that when you have to do them later on, your muscles and nerves can do them quickly and effortlessly. Kinda like a boxer punching a punching bag over and over to get used to throwing jabs, hookers, crosses. You won't use it exactly that way in a fight, but your body memorizes the basic patterns.

This technique was not a Kata (japanese) / Kuen (chinese), it was one of 12 chinese techniques against an grabbing opponent. One can think what one wants about Kata/Kuen, but i have learned that in Kung-Fu they were developed in a buddhist monestary as a type of meditation. Kata / Kuene can be a very hard form of training.

In effective practical martial arts like boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, bjj, wrestling, those moves are relatively simple, because in a real fight, people have all these hormones/chemicals/feelings going through them, like fear, anger, pain, so even simple moves aren't that easy to pull off, and the very sophisticated stuff like bending someone's pinky with your foot while they are punching you in the face is pretty much impossible.
Correct. Yes the more simpler it is, the better chance you have that execute a technique under real conditions and the constant matches and contests have developed and cleared this fighting styles from BS. And therefore if one wants to learn really to defend himself, then one should learn at least one of this fighting styles, if not even two like muay thai or Kickboxing and bjj, wrestling. Kickbox and bjj is a nice combination because you cover all the fighting distances and ground combat.
But back to the simplicity: The same applies to sword fighting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom