Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance gets more trailers, now available for preorder on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Kingdom Come: Deliverance; Warhorse Studios

Warhorse Studios' medieval Czech action-RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance comes out in less than two weeks. Over the past few months, Warhorse have released a succession of increasingly impressive trailers and gameplay videos on their YouTube channel. The game is now available for preorder on GOG, which is a good excuse to post the latest of these. It's a story trailer called "A Blacksmith's Tale", referring to the young protagonist Henry, though it's also about the politics of early 15th century Bohemia. The trailer includes a decent look at the game's combat, and also at its Dan Vavra self-insert character. Check it out:

It should be noted that although Kingdom Come is now available for preorder on GOG, it's not coming out there until February 27th, giving Steam two weeks of exclusivity. Some sort of publisher shenanigan or piracy paranoia, no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bastion

Educated
They should make a challenge. The faster you manage to pirate it the sooner the game will be released on GOG.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game looks promising.
Maybe Steam version is not DRM-free. Denuvo, anyone?
Does Steam allow denuvo?
Of course.

Game looks promising.
Maybe Steam version is not DRM-free. Denuvo, anyone?

No: https://www.pcgamesn.com/kingdom-come-deliverance/kingdomw-come-deliverance-season-pass

The DRM is Steam itself.
Steam is not DRM (there are many DRM-free games on Steam, which you just run from their exe files after downloading). Valve offers its own DRM solution (which is pretty weak AFAIK) within Steamworks pack, but it is not mandatory for every game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam is not DRM (there are many DRM-free games on Steam, which you just run from their exe files after downloading). Valve offers its own DRM solution (which is pretty weak AFAIK) within Steamworks pack, but it is not mandatory for every game.

I'm not making a normative statement about whether Steam is "really" DRM. I'm telling you that what's being referred to as "DRM" here as compared with GOG's DRM-free version appears to be Steam itself, or maybe Steamworks or whatever. If you want to say that both versions are DRM-free then feel free.

Last edited:

Leitz

Learned
(Kingdom) Come on all these trailers show the same boring shit. I don't understand your hype.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not making a normative statement about whether Steam is "really" DRM. I'm telling you that what's being referred to as "DRM" here as compared with GOG's DRM-free version appears to be Steam itself, or maybe Steamworks or whatever. If you want to say that both versions are DRM-free then feel free.
I have no clue whether Steam version of KCD will be DRM-free, they might be using Steamworks for all I know, but that DRM is very ineffective and would not justify a 2-week delay with piracy concerns in mind (Denuvo would), which makes me even more curious on why the delay exists in the first place.

On the other hand, GOG launch is kind of a surprise, since they never promised a DRM-free version of the game. Hopefully it's not one of those lesser GOG versions, when the developer stops supporting it after a while.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On the other hand, GOG launch is kind of a surprise, since they never promised a DRM-free version of the game.

Yeah. Too bad for the delay, as you said it won't change a thing in terms of piracy (the Steam version is gonna be cracked 30 minutes after the launch) and instead of people celebrating the DRM bersion they'll bitch about the delay. A missed potential.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Steamtards always say, "but steam isn't really DRM!" Yes it is. Face reality.

Kids today.

In my time, 10 years ago, people were butthurt about DRM because it was invasive and often prevented to you to play a legally obtained game.

Today people complain about shit like Steam or Denuvo as if they are some terrible burdens. Sometimes I feel like a war veteran who witnessed massacres and mass rapes hearing kids shouting that catcalling is sexual assault.

Sentinel

Arcane
No, requiring steam is still a form of DRM. Even if a game doesn't have the more involved DRM valve offers and you don't have to run steam to play it. Requiring steam (a third party app unnecessary to the functioning of the game) to install and receive updates is a method to manage your rights to digital content.
Requiring you to log in to GOG to install a game and receive updates is also method to manage your rights to digital content.
At least until you can show me a way to grab the installers AND game updates without logging in to gog, legally.

yyuse

Literate
there's also the fact that they are the undisputed monopoly

which is good for convenience, but kinda shit for a better service. i mean, yeah, gog is going along well enough and is an option for many games, but its kind of fucked up that steam only adopted a refund policy once the european union started biting their coat tails which is concerning.

for me at least, i find booting up steam really fucking annoying

even more so if you have steamguard enabled (if you're a trader or some shit you need this)

slow ass process. very unpleasant

Requiring you to log in to GOG to install a game and receive updates is also method to manage your rights to digital content.
At least until you can show me a way to grab the installers AND game updates without logging in to gog, legally.

bad argument

point of gog is that once you have those things you do NOT need gog to continue.
point of steam is that you STILL NEED those things to continue

playing the games, that is.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Bohemia is Austrian clay. Hopefully there's an option to become vassals to the Emperor.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bohemia is Austrian clay. Hopefully there's an option to become vassals to the Emperor.

You’re already a vassal of the emperor, or at least a vassal of his vassal. The kings of Bohemia had been Holy Roman Emperor for nearly fifty straight years by the time of the game.

Wenceslaus was deposed as king of the germans (uncrowned emperor) in 1403, right when the game takes place, but he didn’t recognize the legitimacy of his successors until 1411. In Kingdom Come you work for one of Wenceslaus’ loyal vassals. From their perspective, he might be the rightful ruler of the whole HRE.

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Oh right on. I guess someone already told this Wenceslaus guy he's not german by the time the game takes place.

I'm worried this game might get undeservedly positive reviews just for being anti-SJW. That's all I'm hearing about. But hyping anti-SJW is just as retarded as blowing up SJW stuff. Hopefully the writing and gameplay are actually good.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Steamtards always say, "but steam isn't really DRM!" Yes it is. Face reality.

Kids today.

In my time, 10 years ago, people were butthurt about DRM because it was invasive and often prevented to you to play a legally obtained game.

Today people complain about shit like Steam or Denuvo as if they are some terrible burdens. Sometimes I feel like a war veteran who witnessed massacres and mass rapes hearing kids shouting that catcalling is sexual assault.

I don't mind DRM as long as it is non-intrusive, although I prefer DRM free. Running a third party App (Steam) is incredibly intrusive. Requiring a constant internet connection is incredibly intrusive and often creates privacy concerns as every game that requires a constant internet connection collects some form of data.

A bit off topic but my main issue with steam is the games as a service business model. I love the move to digital downloads since I don't have to keep collections of CDs or DVDs anymore, but the games as a service business model chips away at consumer rights (which were always a bit sketchy in the games industry anyway with ever expansive EULAs) and steam is the poster boy of games as a service and has also done more to popularize it than any other company.

I see plenty of complaint but no argument. You are confused and self-contradicting. Companies don't want to have to deal with problems, so they use content delivery platforms such as Steam or Gog. The difference between a GoG release and a DRM free Steam release is that GoG has rudimentary patching tools, leading to delayed updates due to developer ass pain.

If your issue is installing something on your computer then say "I don't like installing content delivery apps on my computer". That is fine, but more an insight in your psyche than comment on DRM (read: not at all).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom