Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

7/10

Learned
Black people are gonna get modded in, right after realistic horse genitals and elven waifus.

Borelli

Arcane
Even if the put a token minority character - FULL PLATE TIME DAWG.

Tigranes

Arcane
That article is basically "look at this guy so racist" but there's a lot more words and they don't do anything.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did they necessarily have a person sitting as a model? Probably not. It's far more likely they copied another illumination, a statue or whatnot, or used a description by a traveller who saw actual black people as reference.
Or they had a white model and modded it, kept the meshes, changed the texture.
:troll:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm surprised, the actual Kotaku article (while sucking on the SJW teat and clickbaiting as fuck) is pretty tame and sensible. Of course, KC is the worst possible game to choose if you're gonna ask for more wiminz and POC, which is why the reaction can be as strong as it sometimes was.

Medieval People of Color is an interesting tumblr with lots of good material, but the person running it has a strong agenda, bias and some odd ideas. Like, yeah, there were paintings of black saints in medieval Bohemia. And? The "response" implies that means there were black people living in medieval Bohemia, which is quite the leap of logic. Many of these works of art were done referencing other works of art, often done by scholars and monks. Did they necessarily have a person sitting as a model? Probably not. It's far more likely they copied another illumination, a statue or whatnot, or used a description by a traveller who saw actual black people as reference.

Even so, if we're to take this as proof of POC population in Bohemia at the time, the game will hardly spend much time and space on this particular character, so it'll become a token. And tokens only placate a small part of the intended target audience, the rest see a token character as insulting.

*sigh* Anyway, by word of the developers themselves, there WILL be Cumans, gypsies and maybe Arab merchants and others, so the game won't be "all white".

So what the fuck is the whole broohaha about?!
It's about people with strong feelings about the game overreacting in an expected fashion and sensationalist gaming media publishing clickbait articles for that sweet ad moolah. Any resemblance to real events is purely coincidental.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's about confusing 'racism' with the idea that every single representation produced in society must meet a quota of skin colour, avoid all historically negative stereotypes, and present every race as different but also equal. It's about thinking that 'being against racism' means looking at a picture and counting the white people.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Nah it's totally cool for that Finland marshall to be played by a black guy but a white guy can't play Shaka Zulu

Or Caeser can be black but Malcom X can't be white

Then again that Reddit guy is a moron. 95% of mods on most gaming sites minus this place and 4chan are "SJW" they'll just ban you and move on with their day. There's really no point to argue in such controlled areas

WhiteGuts

Arcane
People on the Vikings' IMDB page complain about the lack of colored people in 7-8th century Scandinavia. I shit you not.

Delterius

Arcane
There were slave markets in medieval Europe with ties with the old muslim slave trade routes way before the portuguese took and made a few for themselves. Not to mention the actual inheritance of things like the muslim conquest of Iberia or, if I'm not mistaken, the exchanges over Sicily. But this is far from the mediterranean sea.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There were slave markets in medieval Europe with ties with the old muslim slave trade routes way before the portuguese took and made a few for themselves. Not to mention the actual inheritance of things like the muslim conquest of Iberia or, if I'm not mistaken, the exchanges over Sicily. But this is far from the mediterranean sea.
Why would we bother importing slaves when we there were serfs.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People on the Vikings' IMDB page complain about the lack of colored people in 7-8th century Scandinavia. I shit you not.
Not saying that's not stupid (I haven't seen the show, can't comment on it) but my favorite piece of Viking fiction is The Long Ships (I think the actual swedish title translates to Red Orm), which has a whole bunch of POC. Of course this is during the part of the book when they're off in Andalusia, not Scandinavia.

Delterius

Arcane
Why would we bother importing slaves when we there were serfs.
In some places, particularly down in southern Europe, there were both.

Cadmus

Arcane
Eh, that kotaku article is really retarded, I don't understand their stance on the matter and I don't understand since when some random shit from reddit deserves a newspost.

As for the interview, it comes of as if Dan Vávra is trying to make up for all the fantastic stuff he had promised us with the lamest and most obvious solutions. TES-like learn by use system is horrible, minigames are horrible and I haven't heard him mention a single interesting ACTIVE skill or perk so it feels like all the RPG elements simply could be variants of "+15% dmg" skills.

To be totally honest, the only reason to have any hope for the game is the setting and the previous works of the creators. All the actual information on the game is a bit scary.

(and hi!)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Not saying that's not stupid (I haven't seen the show, can't comment on it) but my favorite piece of Viking fiction is The Long Ships (I think the actual swedish title translates to Red Orm), which has a whole bunch of POC. Of course this is during the part of the book when they're off in Andalusia, not Scandinavia.
Red Orm 's good. *beard bump*

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This time we are bringing you something special: twelve minute video about our combat system. Good combat mechanics is at the heart of every RPG and we are very proud of ours. It's based on real-time collision detection and inverse kinematics; technologies that were difficult to use for game-critical mechanics on previous generation hardware. The result is a combat experience that looks and feels believable and natural, yet is not constrained to few sets of canned animations that have to be executed in perfect synchronization. The system seamlessly integrates things like interaction with environments, different heights of opponents or uneven terrain. Our combat is a blend of tactics and timing, skills of the player and stats of the character. But enough words, watch the video:

- Character skills will make you swing your sword faster and block better.

Data4

Arcane
Clearly, the solution is to present people of color in their historical context as slaves.

Problem solved.

Bonus lulzy stretch goal: Play as a woman! Midwifery! Serving wench! Bedslave! Endless opportunities in a historically accurate RPG awaits!

Cadmus

Arcane
Oh man, that video was interesting!
There was no mention of any actual skills or perks or really anything RPG related. Only: "You can sneak if you have high stelss"
The combat system looks very fun and these people have much experience with the true "emergent gameplay" from Flashpoint to Mafia and that's what I think the game should be good at.
They really like boasting their systems but during the whole video I was just waiting for anything game related.

A few things I could see were really bad: the ragdolls and the inventory. I just played Skyrim a few days ago and I acquired an alergy of sort and can't use such inventory without developing a huge ulcer.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Looks linear, scripted, and flashy.

And it's totally working on me. I haven't paid any attention until now, and it's looking really cool. Seeing the inventory screen gave me a brief panic attack though.

Gonna donate in a few days, just in case they say or do something very stupid. I never thought I'd be excited after Mafia II burned me.

Paul_cz

Arcane
By the way, and hopefully I don't come off too much as a frothing fanboy, but why are there pretty much no articles on RPG codex about these updates ? They are very good, informative..newsworthy, in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom