Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Paul_cz

Arcane
Just you wait for the alpha impressions later in October. Butthurt may be tremendous. As for me, I will reserve my judgement for the final version, but personally I love the direction this project is heading.

Same here. Game may go all kinds of ways but I don't really expect to be downright bad. Vavra's got a good track record as a designer (Mafia 1 was fantastic and Mafia 2 would be fantastic too if the publisher hadn't kicked Vavra out a year before the release and fuck it all up) plus whenever I hear him speak about game design he makes nothing but sense.

Just to clarify, from my understanding Vavra left on his own volition because he was fed up with publisher interfering. But he never did make a post-mortem, so who knows. In any case, it is a shame, Mafia 2 could have been amazing. Now it is just good.

Regarding the tech alpha I would temper the expectations. It should just be a village with not much to do in it. Just to see how it runs and looks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What type of game was Mafia? Wonder if this is going to be similar, except set in the middle ages.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Mafia was extremely impressive for its time. It had graphics on the level of Max Payne (which was tech powerhouse for its time), but set in open city unlike corridor Max Payne. And it was years ahead of GTA 3/VC/SA.
And I loved the mission design. I can still remember pretty much every mission - the steamboat, the prison, the thunderstormy farm, the bank...each mission uniquely designed.
The story was pretty good too, there were some feels in it.
And that music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7taLAD9vlAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8O1T69Y6lE

Still one of my favourite videogame soundtracks.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Mafia was extremely impressive for its time. It had graphics on the level of Max Payne (which was tech powerhouse for its time), but set in open city unlike corridor Max Payne. And it was years ahead of GTA 3/VC/SA.
And I loved the mission design. I can still remember pretty much every mission - the steamboat, the prison, the thunderstormy farm, the bank...each mission uniquely designed.
The story was pretty good too, there were some feels in it.
And that music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7taLAD9vlAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8O1T69Y6lE

Still one of my favourite videogame soundtracks.

I wouldn't say it was years ahead of GTA3/VC/SA (which were classic sandbox games), it's just a different type of game, more story focused and linear. It had an open city with nothing to do in it except your main mission and errands for Lucas Bertone to unlock/learnt to steal a new car (there is a Free Ride mode but it's pretty derpy and is completely detached from the main campaign).

I agree that it's a great game though, I loved the atmosphere, visuals, gunplay and as you said excellent mission design which vas very varied and memorable.

Darkzone

Arcane
Good atmosphere and excellent mission design are good values. If they are also found in similar fashion in KCD than half of the war is won. The other half depends also on the feedback that we will give.
Sharpening 100 Swords can be really tiresome, but 20 - 30 shouldn't be so evil, especially if you can evade this, and cook instead a meal for the smith, so he sharpens the swords for you. ;)

Paul_cz

Arcane
I wouldn't say it was years ahead of GTA3/VC/SA (which were classic sandbox games), it's just a different type of game, more story focused and linear. It had an open city with nothing to do in it except your main mission and errands for Lucas Bertone to unlock/learnt to steal a new car (there is a Free Ride mode but it's pretty derpy and is completely detached from the main campaign).

I agree that it's a great game though, I loved the atmosphere, visuals, gunplay and as you said excellent mission design which vas very varied and memorable.

Oh right, I agree. When I said years ahead I meant technologically, not that the games are super comparable in game design.
It's just that when I saw the character's models and faces in Mafia, they were complete revelation compared to blocky PS2 design of Renderware's GTA 3. Mafia was just a lot more advanced technically. Also in the physics department, the car physics was incredible for the time (and kinda still is).
What is also impressive that most of Mafia developers were 20-something juniors with no previous experience and there were like 20 of them or something. The game took around 4 years to make though.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Mafia 1 driving physics are still spot on to this day. Mafia 2 are so well done and fun to drive and well modelled (I mean tyres bend under load, if you're stopped and steer the whole car shifts like its supposed to), that if they put a cockpit view in it I'd think I'm playing racing sim.

And I agree about GTA3. I played it before Mafia, but after seeing and playing Mafia, it made GTA3 look like some budget game in most respects.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
What type of game was Mafia? Wonder if this is going to be similar, except set in the middle ages.
Nope. Both are open world and story driven. That's where similarities end.

Mafia is a totaly linear story heavy game set in open city with little to no sandboxy side stuff. People compare it to GTA, but...
GTA is multilinear (=in middle of one line you unlock another one and are free to continue in any order) story light game set in open city with shitloads of sandboxy side stuff.
Structure-wise KCD is closer to a hybrid of New Vegas or Fallout 3 and GTA or Red Dead Redemtion.

Goat Pervertor

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded

Dear Darkzone you were the only one on the Codex who took me seriously. We disagreed on some points but as one scientific to anotehr i salute to your persistence with my shitposts.:salute:
You will notice that since our last conversation i have recived a "posible retard" tag. You can take it if you like i wont be needing it anymore.

Yours sincerily
Goat Pervertor

Goodbye.

:takes gun:

PS KCD will be shit

BANG

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Just you wait for the alpha impressions later in October. Butthurt may be tremendous. As for me, I will reserve my judgement for the final version, but personally I love the direction this project is heading.

Same here. Game may go all kinds of ways but I don't really expect to be downright bad. Vavra's got a good track record as a designer (Mafia 1 was fantastic and Mafia 2 would be fantastic too if the publisher hadn't kicked Vavra out a year before the release and fuck it all up) plus whenever I hear him speak about game design he makes nothing but sense.

Just to clarify, from my understanding Vavra left on his own volition because he was fed up with publisher interfering. But he never did make a post-mortem, so who knows. In any case, it is a shame, Mafia 2 could have been amazing. Now it is just good.

Regarding the tech alpha I would temper the expectations. It should just be a village with not much to do in it. Just to see how it runs and looks.

If Mafia 2 would've been a film, it would've been 3,5 hour mafia epic cut into 90 min film. Would be interested to hear what happened, but Vavra couldn't talk about it in the stream the other night.

Mafia 1 was a very good game, but it's not right to compare it to GTA games. I was playing both around that time, and despite superficial similarities, they are very different. Mafia had excellent combat (first game I remember where enemies would dodge behind objects during gun fights) and a very good story by video game standards. But its large open world was just a background for driving from mission to mission. Unlike the GTA worlds, which were filled to the brim with stuff to do, after you completed Mafia missions, there was nothing else to do.

In a way, it didn't matter, because they were going for a more story driven game, but I couldn't help but feel some disappointment after finishing it, wishing there was more stuff to do around the virtual city. I certainly hope that with KCD, they will put in more effort into fleshing out the world and making it more sandboxy. I do think that with things like advanced NPC scripts, wildlife and some of these mini-games, they are on the right track.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If Mafia 2 would've been a film, it would've been 3,5 hour mafia epic cut into 90 min film. Would be interested to hear what happened, but Vavra couldn't talk about it in the stream the other night.
What stream, can you link it ? Thanks.

Mafia 1 was a very good game, but it's not right to compare it to GTA games. I was playing both around that time, and despite superficial similarities, they are very different. Mafia had excellent combat (first game I remember where enemies would dodge behind objects during gun fights) and a very good story by video game standards. But its large open world was just a background for driving from mission to mission. Unlike the GTA worlds, which were filled to the brim with stuff to do, after you completed Mafia missions, there was nothing else to do.

In a way, it didn't matter, because they were going for a more story driven game, but I couldn't help but feel some disappointment after finishing it, wishing there was more stuff to do around the virtual city. I certainly hope that with KCD, they will put in more effort into fleshing out the world and making it more sandboxy. I do think that with things like advanced NPC scripts, wildlife and some of these mini-games, they are on the right track.

Umm, you just repeated what everyone else already said. Nobody claims the games have same kind of gameplay and same design goals.
In any case, Mafia 1 actually had something pretty cool to do when the game was finished - the Free Ride Extreme mode:
http://mafiagame.wikia.com/wiki/Free_Ride_Extreme

It was awesome, and great contrast to serious story of campaign itself.

Cadmus

Arcane
I went and watched some interviews and v-logs and long videos with Dan Vavra and they fucking reminded me what the old Czech games were about. This fucking guy is the real deal and his tastes align with what made me play games in the first place. It's the PLAY part. It's exploring and adventure and innovation, not a fucking balanced pseudo DnD system or the correct stats or a checked boxes of what needs to be in a good RPG/FPS/RTS. I remembered what I loved about Operation Flashpoint.

I love how he cares about the graphics, these guys always have. They care about the concepts and details. This game is gonna be great. It's not about being a fucking Skyrim-killer.

What I learned about Dan Vavra:

1) he hates faggotry hipster pixel art games and the faggot indie scene
2) he frequently comments on how games are ugly-looking yet plays some really old shit
3) he created the concept for Wolfenstein 3D on paper before the real Wolf and he had pitched the Mirror's Edge concept, got rejected and 2 years later found his game released as Mirror's Edge but is not mad about it
(this is really what he said and I believe him)
4) I don't think he cares about any formulas or the correct way to make games or RPGs or shit so maybe the Codex will not appreciate Kingdom Come (oh and he mentioned how fucking hard it is to come up with a non-retarded name and how idiotic ideas they had for Mafia before somebody realized they could actually call it Mafia) but I'm pretty sure the game will be amazing

Angthoron

Arcane
You selected
Pledge £25 or more
8048 backers

============================ BARON (digital)

Aw yiss, I know what I'm doing tonight.

Probably waiting half the evening for the download to complete :negative:

Gord

Arcane
4) I don't think he cares about any formulas or the correct way to make games or RPGs or shit so maybe the Codex will not appreciate Kingdom Come (oh and he mentioned how fucking hard it is to come up with a non-retarded name and how idiotic ideas they had for Mafia before somebody realized they could actually call it Mafia) but I'm pretty sure the game will be amazing

He got a somewhat rough (read: standard codex) treatment when KC was first presented. I think at some point he was a bit upset about having to constantly defend himself for some of his design choices and left the codex again.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The other thing is that he was kinda clumsy when he had to debate about turn-based vs real-time...etc on the Codex. So people bandwagoned against him almost instantly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well deeds talk and bullshit walks. If he can deliver the Codex can fuck itself.
Pretty much, then again this game doesn't look ugly and amateurish, doesn't have pixels, is not TB, is neither indie nor by Obsidian and it isn't harkening back to some obscure title from the 1980s so it's definitely NOT gonna be a Codex darling.

The best result we can hope for is you won't get watchwitzed if you say you like it.

Angthoron

Arcane
What? It could be like Gothic/2 sequel done right, how's that not a Codex thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom