Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Suchy

Arcane
dat t-shirt

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't think so. I watched a presentation by the lead designer and it made me happy because they produce the game exactly as I wish they did. It's all tons of systems with the necessary additions of animations and items for some quests. Hopefully this means that the game will feature a real emergent gameplay like in Flashpoint where cool things happen because of how you play and think instead of being shoved down your throat.
I spent the night watching Vavras presentations and this just might be the one game I let myself be hyped for. I don't recall ever seeing that fat, bald fuck Gaider speak so clearly about design decisions, or Sawyer for that matter.

I can already see some fucking idiot like rogey yell "OMG THEY SO UNPROFESSIONAL" but they are the opposite of that, just a no-bullshit technical guys.

He also spoke about the czech localization (dunno if it's been covered here already) and said they don't know how to do it because the animations are motion captured in english and they wanted to produce real quality VO and if they simply dubbed it in czech it would look like a shitty TV dub plus the czech localization ain't gonna pay for itself so the issue is still open.
Tits Link to RPG mechanics clarification or gtfo.
Also Flashpoint was not really emergent, it was an open world shooter where you could choose the way to kill the baddies. That's much easier to do than a CRPG which would have to implement a story unfolding in that open world, without relying solely on main quest triggers and cutscenes. Fallout basically. I'm not impressed by some nice little alchemy minigame. Put the effort into things that actually matter ffs.
And what did even give you the idea that there would be emergent gameplay in this one? To me it more looks like a pretty linear cutscene heavy game like Bioware used to make them, only with a more intriguing setting and some tacked on open world to waste time between main story missions and to bring in the moneyz from the Skyrim crowd.
What gave me the idea that there would be an emergent game-play? Their focus on the supporting systems which in turn should give the platform to stuff happening kinda on its own and creating interesting (local and small time, mind you) situations.

set

Cipher
It'll be fun to compare this game to M&B: Bannerlord when both are out.

Starwars

Arcane
Haven't really followed this but just checked out some videos and holy shit... This game looks amazing graphically. Not just technically speaking but they seem to have put some effort into making nature actually look somewhat *authentic*. Kinda jumped out at me when first viewing one of the videos how many games, no matter how good they look, just don't feel "real" in that sense. This is taking huge strides in making the nature feel realistic, very impressed by that.
Of course, there is probably no way I'm gonna be able to play this decently on my crappy system.

Not normally a graphics whore but... wow. It looks incredible.

Darkzone

Arcane
Haven't really followed this but just checked out some videos and holy shit... This game looks amazing graphically. Not just technically speaking but they seem to have put some effort into making nature actually look somewhat *authentic*. Kinda jumped out at me when first viewing one of the videos how many games, no matter how good they look, just don't feel "real" in that sense. This is taking huge strides in making the nature feel realistic, very impressed by that.
Of course, there is probably no way I'm gonna be able to play this decently on my crappy system.
Hey you are from sweden, why don't you go to your social services and say that you are disabled or oppressed or mentally ill and that you need an new computer, to compensate for this problem.

set

Cipher
It'll be fun to compare this game to M&B: Bannerlord when both are out.
What the fuck.
Why would you compare two different games?

Because many people said this game would be "Skyrim plus Mount and Blade". I'm not sure if the developers themselves made this claim, but I've read a lot of comments and hype articles describing it as such a mash up.

hivemind

That's sounds like a pretty thing say tbh.
I mean, I guess the skyrim part could kinda make sense as IIRC Vavra made an article titled 100 things wrong with skyrim or something like that.
But the game so far looks like it has nothing in common with mount and blade.

Cadmus

Arcane
that fucking forest video made me wanna go outside

For some reason, it reminded me of the forests in good ol' Operation Flashpoint.
it's the spruce trees combined with the mild terrain and mild brush vegetation cuz they are both based on the Czech/Eastern Europe forest style. I can't get enough of it. As soon as the weather gets nice I'll be in the countryside at my small cottage, walking in the forests, swimming in the lake. This art style and terrain totally personifies this desire to go out. I'm sure there's an equivalent in the western world but this thing is specific to our part of the world, I think.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure there's an equivalent in the western world

Yes there is, and it's featured in a videogame too!

max_payne_3_favela.png~original

:ehue:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Your misunderstanding isn't surprising. I know you have precious little free time to tear yourself away from servicing Vavra.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Your misunderstanding isn't surprising. I know you have precious little free time to tear yourself away from servicing Vavra.
What are you, twelve ?
Anyway, I read up a bit more on M&B and from what I see, my original impressions stands. There is no traditional storyline except in the expansion Viking Conquest.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What are you, twelve ?
Anyway, I read up a bit more on M&B and from what I see, my original impressions stands. There is no traditional storyline except in the expansion Viking Conquest.
Your impression is correct. M&B is sandbox game with the defined setting only and no storyline. People who thinks otherwise probably never read a single book till the end. That is why it is so difficult for them to distinguish pure sandbox from the story-based game with open (chunk of the) world.

set

Cipher
What are you, twelve ?
Your impression is correct. M&B is sandbox game with the defined setting only and no storyline. People who thinks otherwise probably never read a single book till the end. That is why it is so difficult for them to distinguish pure sandbox from the story-based game with open (chunk of the) world.

Tradition is a meaningless word.

Mount and Blades plays such that there is a limited amount of narrative, but there's always a story. It is a sandbox game, but that doesn't mean you play idly with sand castles - every faction is controlled in a specific way by the AI. They battle with each other, take prisoners, have to deal with bandit raids and the royals have to take brides. You can just be a dick bandit and go around and have your fun, or you can get involved in getting your own fief, or conquering another nation. The sandbox gameplay is driven by a good amount of simulation, such that organic stories develop.

Saying that isn't a "traditional story" is part of the reason why so many games suck these days.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
If you put it this way...

Proper story put on paper is still something different than the improvised one. But I got your point. And I am the biggest supporter of making AI stories shine over the human created ones.

It is just that we are not there yet, if you know what I mean...

Paul_cz

Arcane
Tradition is a meaningless word.

Mount and Blades plays such that there is a limited amount of narrative, but there's always a story. It is a sandbox game, but that doesn't mean you play idly with sand castles - every faction is controlled in a specific way by the AI. They battle with each other, take prisoners, have to deal with bandit raids and the royals have to take brides. You can just be a dick bandit and go around and have your fun, or you can get involved in getting your own fief, or conquering another nation. The sandbox gameplay is driven by a good amount of simulation, such that organic stories develop.

Saying that isn't a "traditional story" is part of the reason why so many games suck these days.

Until M&B's simulationist approach to design can provide the kind of narrative Fallout New Vegas/Vampire Bloodlines/Deus Ex/Tormen/Witcher 2/etc provides, the word "traditional" will not be meaningless.
I am looking forward to the day it happens, but I am not sure it will be anytime soon. And until then, I will always prefer "traditional" human mindcrafted RPGs over pure sandboxes like M&B.

set

Cipher
"Tradition" is meaningless - stories have existed for as long as humans have. There are more ways to tell a story than characters reading lines for a script. Let's not use a toxic word like that to describe attempts at moving beyond "cinematic story telling" - which is not a tradition even in the realm of video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom