Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Kingdoms of Amalur, "Babies' first Skyrim"

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I hate to compare shittiness to shittiness but I found Amalur's grindy shit to be a bit more tolerable than Skyrim's hiking repetitive shit.

Then again, it's Yahtzee we're taling about, and he has the attention spell of a rodent needing a meth fix.
You actually preferred Amalurs generic pasty level design to Skyrims open world?

When the open world is dull (albeit "pretty") and the quests suck, the factions suck, the dungeons are repetitive it's easier favor something a little less rough (yet still shit). Besides, I really give fuck all about how the world looks, give me some good mechanics and fun combat in an ARPG (Which Skyrim does none of the sort, whilst Amalur at least makes a small dent in that regard) and I'll give it a spin then forget it in peace.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So how's the combat? Is it better to any degree than what we usually get in an ARPG? If the combat's enjoyable enough I may have fun with this game, otherwise it looks like no.
There are page long desciptions and arguments in the KoA-thread in GRPG.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I haven't touched both games as I don't like to waste my time with shit, but judging from the screenshots, art direction alone makes Skyrim superior already. Why would you play a game that looks as horrible as KoA?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't touched both games as I don't like to waste my time with shit, but judging from the screenshots, art direction alone makes Skyrim superior already. Why would you play a game that looks as horrible as KoA?

Couse Amalur don't :decline: on you like Playing Skyrim does. Skyrim has indeed Darker and dirtier setting (''Corrected'' already to shiny Animu fagotry by modders) and marginaly better background lore but as RPG Mechanics and story goes it is derper than Oblibion. Skyrim to be good as Morrowind Needs :mca: and FNV treatment.
And who say Amalur world is not open? Only last part of game (1/4 or less of map) is unlocked by main story line.

Leimreу

Novice
So how's the combat? Is it better to any degree than what we usually get in an ARPG? If the combat's enjoyable enough I may have fun with this game, otherwise it looks like no.
The combat mechanics are pretty solid, but it has other combat related crippling problems. I will describe the mechanics of longsword combat (one handed), other weapons are similar.

You have your standard 4x hit combo which is unlocked from the start. Then there are abilities that grant additional moves. The first one allows you to perform closing-in attacks (the move must be charged up for 1-2 seconds). The second one is a brief invincibility frames granting feint that transitions into an attack and further follow up strikes. The final ability allows you to transition from a successful block to a combo counter.

Holding the block button for a considerable time before the attack simply reduces damage with no stagger to the enemy. Timing your block precisely results in a stagger and allows a counter (you must have the final ability described earlier to perform a counter). There is an ability that allows you to shield bash, which results in a stagger.

Now, enemies are divided into "weak" and "tough" ones. Weak enemies can be interrupted by any attack/ability/shield bash/whatever, while tough enemies are immune to interruption. Reducing the health of tough enemies past a certain threshold makes them susceptible to interruption from powerful attacks, but they will still shrug off most weak attacks without interruption. The player is always considered as a "weak" creature (can be interrupted by pretty much anything), unless he uses an ability that grants him interruption immunity at the expense of armor. There's also an ability to roll out of harms way.

Enemies successfully attack simultaneously (there's no actual coordination, as in deliberately attacking in groups, it's up to chance/random) and, coupled with the player being interrupted by pretty much anything, can dish out some long chains from time to time. However, the combat HORRIBLY suffers from being too fucking easy even on Hard. Generally, you will have a sky-high armor rating that negates pretty much all damage (played a Warrior-rouge that used a mix of leather and metal armor). I was basically unkillable 10 hours into the game due to custom crafted arms and armor. Fuck, I was regenerating health faster than the enemies could dish out damage. There were literally 3-4 cases when I died in game, 2 of which resulted from being stunlocked into living death by an army of sprites in the House Of Valor sprite challenge. Next, enemy attacks are telegraphed as fuck and you can easily dodge them even while being drunk as shit (tested this personally). There's also an ability to trigger your speshul fate powers and gain a tremendous damage bonus as well as a slow down time effect for a short while, which allows you to steamroll through any encounter in seconds.

TL;DR: the combat system is a slightly dumbed down version of Risen system, but the combat gets old way too fast due to kindergarten difficulty. Coupled with the fact that combat is the only saving grace of this turd, I would advise you to stay away and play something more challenging instead.

stiltzkin

Novice
I hate to compare shittiness to shittiness but I found Amalur's grindy shit to be a bit more tolerable than Skyrim's hiking repetitive shit.

Then again, it's Yahtzee we're taling about, and he has the attention spell of a rodent needing a meth fix.
You actually preferred Amalurs generic pasty level design to Skyrims open world?

When the open world is dull (albeit "pretty") and the quests suck, the factions suck, the dungeons are repetitive it's easier favor something a little less rough (yet still shit). Besides, I really give fuck all about how the world looks, give me some good mechanics and fun combat in an ARPG (Which Skyrim does none of the sort, whilst Amalur at least makes a small dent in that regard) and I'll give it a spin then forget it in peace.
Well the combat is the best of any ES game I don't think you can really argue that. The thing with Bethesda games are that theyre captivating for the first 30 hours, and then they just go into grindy repetitiveness for the next 100 hours or so, which is why I still havent beaten skyrim. They need to double their studio, just focus on the skyrim engine for the next game because god only knows what a next gen engine will cost. Then I think they can make everyone happy, even you

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
TL;DR: the combat system is a slightly dumbed down version of Risen system, but the combat gets old way too fast due to kindergarten difficulty. Coupled with the fact that combat is the only saving grace of this turd, I would advise you to stay away and play something more challenging instead.
Thanks, looks like I'll be giving this one a pass.

MCA
Skyrim to be good as Morrowind Needs :mca: and FNV treatment.

FNV is Sawyer's baby more than anybody else's; DLCs are MCA's, so down with this Cult-of-MCA nonsense. Let's also remember MCA = Alpha Popamole and then think again

:smug:

Yeah, except "Alpha Popamole" and most NV DLC's are actually pretty fuckin' good. :decline:

The latter are. Former is utter console shit. It only has a few good lines here and there. Plot is shit. Writing is shit. Game is shit. Just a huge pile of shit. Even the dialogue is popamole Bioware shit with a timer. How worse could it get? :smug:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
And holy shit; I get why you'd refer to what's still the most commonly used OS in the world as if it's some obscure old piece of software that most people haven't even heard of, but maybe it's time to stop calling people crazy for bitching how arbitrary and baffling it is for certain games to withhold support for XP when XP seems to game exactly the way 7 does.

Windows XP is great, and there's no reason to upgrade. Except for DX10/11, and AAA devs and their customers REALLY DO GIVE A FUCK about having the most numbers, so the gap between DX9 and DX11 is pretty massive. And what portion of that 42% are only still using XP because they're children/grandchildren haven't bought them a new computer in the past 6 years because what useless shit do they even use their computer for anyway and any change will render them incapable to function the machine. Steam survey gives 52.03% Windows 7 and 17.25% Windows XP and Steam is a not-insignificant part of their customer base. If XP was 42% of their audience then there's no fucking way they wouldn't support it.

chart-of-the-day-operating-system-share-march-2012.jpg

And holy shit; I get why you'd refer to what's still the most commonly used OS in the world as if it's some obscure old piece of software that most people haven't even heard of, but maybe it's time to stop calling people crazy for bitching how arbitrary and baffling it is for certain games to withhold support for XP when XP seems to game exactly the way 7 does.

This is only PCs as a whole, which means that the majority of Windows XP users are 80 year old grandmothers and business computers that aren't playing games. A better metric would be the Steam hardware/software surveys, which place XP at 16% while W7/Vista (basically the same shit, different name) have a combined 76%. For reference, 13% of the same computers on that steam survey have < 256 MB of VRAM. Should you be equally mad at games who require at least 512 MB of VRAM? Because that's pretty much every game released in the past year.

Yeesh

Magister
This is only PCs as a whole, which means that the majority of Windows XP users are 80 year old grandmothers and business computers that aren't playing games. A better metric would be the Steam hardware/software surveys, which place XP at 16% while W7/Vista (basically the same shit, different name) have a combined 76%. For reference, 13% of the same computers on that steam survey have < 256 MB of VRAM. Should you be equally mad at games who require at least 512 MB of VRAM? Because that's pretty much every game released in the past year.
Gee, good point. And I suppose that since less than 13% of Steam users give a fuck about good gameplay as we'd define it, then devs are truly correct to embrace shit and forget about quality.

Deleted member 7219

Truly one of the worst games I've ever played.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Atleast in Amalur you got some real choice from time to time.

How often you get real choice in Amalur?

You get rail-roaded on main quest (which you cant change in any way, no choice here) and some faction quests where your have choice in outcome of quests maybe 5-6 times.
Side quests choices are non-existant or negligible.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Atleast in Amalur you got some real choice from time to time.

How often you get real choice in Amalur?

You get rail-roaded on main quest (which you cant change in any way, no choice here) and some faction quests where your have choice in outcome of quests maybe 5-6 times.
Side quests choices are non-existant or negligible.

Which is less than in Skyrim? :smug:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Why you compare it to Skyrim (another game with low amount of choices, though you could alter main quest by join Empire or Rebels) and not to Witcher, for example?

Skyrim though is more hard to play, i.e. you cant play half-afk on hardest difficulty with spam 1 button.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Why you compare it to Skyrim (another game with low amount of choices, though you could alter main quest by join Empire or Rebels) and not to Witcher, for example?

Skyrim though is more hard to play, i.e. you cant play half-afk on hardest difficulty with spam 1 button.

Unless you play a spellcaster.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Unless you play a spellcaster.

My pure spellcaster in Skyrim usualy die in 1-2 hits and going melee combat was just suicide.
And fights with enemy mages and archers (1-2 arrows, pure mage die) were also challenging.

Not hardest difficulty (was challenge enough, since i am not Pro player).

My pure spellcaster in Amalur could easily win game not using any spell, with weapons alone. Sometimes i used spells, but only because it is less time-consuming, i.e. its faster to kill 10 enemies with 1 meteor and run forward then to kill them with weapon.
Hardest difficulty ofc.

Commissar Draco

Patron
My tank with Katana and Solitude shield is indestructable now... even frost Mages can't dent him after getting shield magic imunity perk. And He is an Imperial not Breton or Nord. All enemies are dieing in one two hits. I am not complaining since getting optimal equipment and perks did took long time (and tons of quests). Epic and MajesticTM Heroes should be Half Gods in the end. Both game were challenging at start partly since I suck in RT combat. But Mages in Skyrim are nerfed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom