Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sierra King's Quest series

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm just saying that there are KQ 1, 2 and 3 remakes in vga and some redesigned puzzles. KQ 2 remake is apparently much superior to the original, which i didn't play btw, because:

The King's Quest II: Romancing the Stones remake follows in the tradition of AGDI's King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown remake, containing updated graphics and the familiar Sierra Point-and-Click interface system. But this time there is also an added storyline, deeper plot, fleshed-out characters, clever puzzles, enhanced artwork, music, atmosphere, depth, culture, and more - basically, the whole nine yards!

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah OK, I getcha. For a moment I thought you were saying that the AGI version of KQ4 was some fan-made retro project...except it isn't, it's a fully official Sierra On-Line product that was actually released back in the day, but quickly recalled when Sierra decided to upgrade KQ4 to SCI.

And truth be told, creating "better" versions of KQ1 and KQ2 isn't that big of a feat, they were pretty thin on the gameplay side.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It will always be magical to me, the amount of work that went into the remakes (QFG2 especially) is astounding (and free, not that they had any other choice).

Dehumanizer

Educated
For a moment I thought you were saying that the AGI version of KQ4 was some fan-made retro project...except it isn't, it's a fully official Sierra On-Line product that was actually released back in the day, but quickly recalled when Sierra decided to upgrade KQ4 to SCI.
AFAIK it wasn't like that; they released both versions at the same time (believing many people wouldn't have computers capable of running the SCI version, and would buy the AGI one -- which actually looks pretty good for AGI, BTW), but were surprised when the SCI version sold a lot more. Because of that, they retired the AGI engine then and there (though I think Manhunter 2 and Gold Rush were released after that, as they were already being developed).

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always wished AGDI had done a voice pack for their QFG2VGA... that would have been the icing on the cake.

Bt

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I always wished AGDI had done a voice pack for their QFG2VGA... that would have been the icing on the cake.
I don't mind its absence. QFG in general always had more dialogue than the other Quest series, and QFG2VGA in particular added a lot of lines to the already quite wordy original. QFG4 probably has the best voice acting of any Sierra game, and any game released around the same time, and perhaps even one of the best voice acting in any game period, but I cannot imagine how AGDI could've done something on par when they were basically working with no budget.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh yeah, for sure. It's just got some great and fun dialogue - if we lived in a perfect world where it had a budget, a voice cast would have been awesome on it. I still like it - it's one of my favorite remakes. I think they did an admirable job on redoing the alleyways as well. That was always a weak part in the original, and then managed to make it newer and fresh but still keep the feel.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Use sword on Snake
You can't do that.

Kill snake
Using your sword you kill the snake...

Fucking seriously?

Kings Quest 2. This is some really shitty inconsistent game design. :M

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
yes please!?
Ok, I'll make a thread this week today.

Kings Quest 2. This is some really shitty inconsistent game design.
A lot of the old parsers had this. Use X on Y became standard with point and click, but before that most parsers responded to what you were actually trying to do. Of course Legend's parser, being much more advanced, would have said something like "you throw the sword at the snake but it bounces on the rock and hits Eric in the forehead" to force you to use a more specific command. And yeah KQ2 is pretty weak. KQ3 I think is where the series starts picking up in terms of puzzles, though the annoying ones reard their head once in a while.

Did you see my other post, and did you turn on Tandy sound?

Oh BTW you're not supposed to kill the snake. You've just made a later section much, MUCH harder :smug:

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Of course Legend's parser, being much more advanced, would have said something like "you throw the sword at the snake but it bounces on the rock and hits Eric in the forehead" to force you to use a more specific command.

Now THAT is awesome! :D

Did you see my other post, and did you turn on Tandy sound?

Yep. I am playin this in GLORIOUS 4 voice Tandy sound.

Oh BTW you're not supposed to kill the snake. You've just made a later section much, MUCH harder :smug:

:rage:

I kind of figured that.... However I'm just in the try every option possible phase now with the game and all the areas. After I figure most stuff out, I then re-start and try for a better score.

KQ2 is on the whole just the weakest entry in the series imo. Its story is pretty non-existent, the parser, as mentioned sucks shit, and the game doesn't try to do anything new from KQ1.

Also I thought that batman reference was dumb even when I was a kid.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played KQ1 remake, KQ 2 remake, KQ 3 remake, original KQ 4 and KQ 5, I thought... well those are cool and fun adventure games and all but I still didn't get the awesome then I played KQ 6... and it was Jesus Christ! I just came! What is this crack?! I need more! then KQ 7 and Mask of Eternity happened well... all good series need an Ultima IX, its the law of the universe, balance must be kept, you can't have something awesome for long.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:rage:

I kind of figured that.... However I'm just in the try every option possible phase now with the game and all the areas. After I figure most stuff out, I then re-start and try for a better score.
Yeah, that puzzle is probably the biggest 'Hint line fodder' puzzle in any Sierra adventure game. You basically have to find an item that is not graphically represented on screen, and use it in a way that makes no fucking sense at all. Assuming I'm remembering the correct bit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Once you do throw the item and the snake transforms, the usage makes perfect sense! :M

As I said, KQ2 is not their best effort.

KQ3 was pretty cool IMO, I liked the time limit (it was pretty lenient) and IIRC there are some optional things that you don't have to do, but that you will probably end up doing on a blind run and that make such runs a little less brutal.

KQ6 is undoubtedly the best game in the series though. It's very, very good. Multiple solutions, multiple paths and multiple endings certainly help.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
KQ3 is the best. It may not have the graphics or melodramatic writing, but it is the best embodiment of the fairytale / folkloric spirit of the series. Despite RPGs having a thousand variations of the "orphan farmboy becomes king through derring do" plot, none comes remotely close to KQ3. The game certainly isn't perfect (the mountain path!), but it has perfect elements. I don't think there's anything perfect in KQ6, but I'm definitely biased against it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
12530.png

So I did finally finish KQ II blind (well I did use the hint system website to learn about GO FISH - Seriously?). Oh well.

I much more liked the first game, even with all the absurdity, there was just some great charm with it. But I do agree with MRY, III is pretty much when the series *really* starts (I have played KQ III and IV before). Kinda similar to when Gariott finally stopped snorting so much cocaine and finally came up with Sosaria, the shrines, the virtues, the colors, the dungeons and *really* started to make an Ultima game.

One thing did make me LOL though, in the encounter with C.D.

When he comes for your ass, I panicked and just ran back into the room I was before. And then wondered if he would follow me. But he doesn't, and then I just walked back into the entrance again (now he wasn't there). I was like WAT? And said fuck it! I AM OUTTA HERE! :lol:

Anyways, I am curious how AGD Interactive's KQ II is so I am going to play that now, since I have the original KQ II fresh in mind.

Aenra

i loved it personally. But that may well scare you into the opposite direction, so will refrain from adding anything more specific :P
curious to read your thoughts afterwards however!

Anyways, I am curious how AGD Interactive's KQ II is so I am going to play that now, since I have the original KQ II fresh in mind.

I also like the AGDI KQ2 "remake" very much. Since you didn't like the original KQ2 all that much, I think you will enjoy it as well. most of the people I've encountered who dislike it are extreeeeeeeeeeeeeme hipsters or people with some heavy nostalgia glasses for the original (from which it is very different).

3 is indeed wonderful (probably my second favorite entry in the series, although I also have very soft spots for 4 and 7), but I still prefer 6 by a fairly wide margin.
The encounter with the Lord of the Dead ranks right up there with TNO's dialogue with Ravel and MotB's conversation with Myrkul's decaying remains in terms of "HOLY SHIT!!!! :bounce:" video-game writing (AND, unlike either of those, it's totally missable!).

Aenra

yeap :)
or put differently, had you not known, you'd honestly have thought it a Sierra title (of the relevant era)

Urbanolo

Augur
So, I'm completely new to the King's Quest series, but I'd like to get to know them better. Should I start with the first one and finish the whole series, or (like my friend recommended) only play the sixth one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom