Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KKKthulhu.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Brah, there is some serious politricking happening in this thread.

Trash said:
Reverend Flashback said:
DU, can you post the proxy detector script?

How fucking stupid are you?

Well, I cant register with my normal ips. I cant register with proxies. So I assume its not an ip ban. Or DU actually banned my whole range, plus he has a common proxy list that is banned. But I doubt that the list is that complete. So I assume he tests if the proxy is open and probably all public proxies are open.
Now, how fucking stupid are you?

Stupid people and alts are like slinkeys. They're good for absolutely nothing but putting a smile on your face when you push them down the proverbial stairs. :)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Reverend Flashback said:
Trash said:
Reverend Flashback said:

How fucking stupid are you?

Well, I cant register with my normal ips. I cant register with proxies. So I assume its not an ip ban. Or DU actually banned my whole range, plus he has a common proxy list that is banned. But I doubt that the list is that complete. So I assume he tests if the proxy is open and probably all public proxies are open.
Now, how fucking stupid are you?

You try to get DU to show you how to work around the ban he imposed on you in the most moronic way possible and you accuse me of being stupid? Holy shit, GTFO.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Reverend Flashback said:
I guess DU wins, I dont have any anon proxies. And registration is closed for the others ... My last alt. Die in peace. Decline!!!1111
Sure:
  • 1. Check if IP is on any proxy list (be it a blacklist or a list of open proxies).
    2. If 1 == true, ban
It doesn't get absolutely every IP but it gets most. Those that do get through are dealt with easily enough.

Reverend Flashback said:
plus he has a common proxy list that is banned.
I don't maintain my own list. Thankfully when it comes to open proxies, 99% of the time, someone else has already used it for mail spam, bot attacks and the like so it pops up on about two or three blacklists. Failing that, they generally come up on the very helpful lists of open proxies that various websites like to make publically available.

... and don't do what some other guy did and tell me how awesome TOR is and I'll never find you if you use TOR. TOR let you query their list of exit nodes that might hit your server's IP.

There is a more stringent check I can run but that's disabled at the moment, mainly because it's not proved any more useful than the above.

I've also toyed around with an additional check that if after registration the user matches a certain posting pattern (reply to certain threads, new thread in site feedback, use certain words "why was my account banned?" or make over a certain number of posts that day) then they're auto-banned but I've not had to implement that yet.

The short answer is to make it as annoying as possible for people so that it's not worth it because I'll get you in the end eventually, no matter what. Even if you do what that guy did at DAC a year or two ago and setup an automated script to attack the forum, it's fairly easily dealt with (direct database access makes it easier for me to clean up any mess vs a bot that has to constantly run through the PHP code). That was fun when he spent 5 hours running his code spamming up the forum and I spent all of 0.14 seconds of SQL execution time deleting all posts by that users accounts.

I'm sure a codex patriot would be willing to give you handjobs, that's bound to free up countless hours every day which can be spent speeding up the incline of the codex.

PropJoe

Novice
Trash must be the most humorless cocksucker around. Whats his problem? Aids? Minipenis?

Tor is blocked aswell. But I also thought about it and I dont see how this is gonna turn out positiv for me. I cant win. PropJoe proposes truce. Just give me an acc. Even the Überstürmer didnt ban for giggles. I am not Chefe or CF. I was just banned cause of skyway...

DU, which one is you?
2n7o9bn.jpg

World

Novice
Dammit, DU. Give me at least an explanation. Even CF got one! What am I banished for?!

On a sidenote:
I must say, that if it takes some effort to browse Codex, the lame jokes become less pleasant. The prestigious magazine kinda looses its shiny side. There is probably only the Knight and Merchants threads that is kinda interesting at the moment.
Now I actually started to learn to play piano and juggle stuff. =D

Mantiis

Cipher
DarkUnderlord said:
World said:
Dammit, DU. Give me at least an explanation. Even CF got one! What am I banished for?!
It's not my reason to give.

ooh that's interesting - someone else wanted them removed... :curiousTurnOfEvents:

kris

Arcane
Frau Bishop said:
"That's not a list you want to be on."

Better listen to him, all 231 of you.

Including himself.

Andyman Messiah said:
I'm probably the only one here who doesn't have an alt.

Naw, most people don't have an alt, is just that the ones that do have multiple. Chefe is really coming of as really retarded.

Shannow said:
As far as I can tell, it started with the decline-meme. Some members saw a decline whether imagined or not. He was one of those members. One of the most vocal doom-sayers. At some time he went on a spree to "prove" this decline by posting stuff that would never have flown with the old codex (see his FO3 review) but which was more or less accepted by the "declined" codex. This "proof" didn't really have any effect but his trolling posts declined the codex even more. So he became a part of the problem he set out to fight.

He is not even original, he just stole the plot from Batman begins. DU is apparently Batman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom