Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Mortmal

Arcane
My tabletop sessions have better graphics than this does. Tokens are fucking lazy, especially the fugly ones he uses. At least go for minis.

Mine too :
fg2-screenshot-03.jpg

But i suppose i can play kotc 2 anytime, no hassle to find a group wich can be quite hard at GMT+1 .Hopefully its moddable and we could import our own token and backgrounds for custom campaigns. Tbh i am really hyped for this, just pray pierre dont get all emo again and stop developing this to work on a rts or some other shit.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think the rationale for the new assets is that they can be deployed quickly when creating modules, so you'll have the KoTC2 campaign as a base and the possibility of creating new modules in the same engine right off the bat without the hassle of creating visual assets. It's like NWN but uglier and with turn-based/phase-based (I don't know the exact implementation) combat.

Kalasanty11

Learned
Graphic style is irrelevant if gameplay depth makes up for it. Tales of Maj'Eyal being the best example.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really dislike the token style even tho I play tabletop. I will still buy and play it tho bc it's the perfect D&D simulation but I liked the top down view waaaaay better

Also the fireball explosion looks completely out of place imho

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Give him a million in kickstarter jewgoldz and I am sure he will make nice art. For fuck's sake the shit people complain of.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Give him a million in kickstarter jewgoldz and I am sure he will make nice art. For fuck's sake the shit people complain of.
A million dollars to comission one artist to draw some sprites?

Fallout spent millions on sprites. Where do you think the money for a 2d game goes?

2d game is easy on the programmer but makes art more time consuming, if it won't look like shit.

I am sure you can get some dickhead to make sprites for 10k but it will look like fucking pokemon at best. This is a game made to make money off of to support himself, not a hobby. If someone spends months making sprites (or years) you will have to pay them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
A million dollars to comission one artist to draw some sprites?

Fallout spent millions on sprites. Where do you think the money for a 2d game goes?

2d game is easy on the programmer but makes art more time consuming, if it won't look like shit.

I am sure you can get some dickhead to make sprites for 10k but it will look like fucking pokemon at best. This is a game made to make money off of to support himself, not a hobby. If someone spends months making sprites (or years) you will have to pay them.
What the fuck? Fallout spent millions on sprites because it was in development for years with a full team of experienced artists at every level from concept to 3d modelling. There was a whole pipeline to get one sprite done, unlike just a kid drawing a 64x64 pixels dude with a sword on photoshop.

How much you think one artist is paid? There's plenty of decent dudes that will draw good stuff for effectively pocket change. There's no excuse for a commercial game to look like ass.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
What the fuck? Fallout spent millions on sprites because it was in development for years with a full team of experienced artists at every level from concept to 3d modelling.

How much you think one artist is paid? There's plenty of decent dudes that will draw good stuff for effectively pocket change. There's no excuse for a commercial game to look like ass.

Unless you've personally spent thousands of dollars of your own money hiring artists then you don't know what you are talking about.

What you really get is a bunch of dickhead primadonnas who will take whatever they can get from you and then spend a weekend working on it and it looks like total worthless shit you can't use. That is what trying to hire some random forum dickheads or other amateurs gets you.

Then finally you say fuck this shit, and pay "more" money but actually get what you asked them for instead of a litany of excuses.

Long story short the game will look like shit unless you pay money. You want it to look like fallout you will have to spend 8 million bucks in modern kwanzabucks.

If you want it to look like ANY REASONABLE PC GAME IN LAST 25 years then you will need a million bucks. Otherwise it will look like shit. So people can either pony up some cash or shut the fuck up.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What a load of crockshit. Your view of how much shit costs is clearly skewed thinking the entire world is in california or some other place with insane living costs.

A million dollars to comission art for a simple topdown 2d game. Amazing. Where I live that's enough money to fund a small studio for years.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
KotC 1 looked like a reasonable game from the early 90s and I don't think he spent millions on an artist there so what exactly is the point?

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
What a load of crockshit. Your view of how much shit costs is clearly skewed thinking the entire world is in california or some other place with insane living costs.

A million dollars to comission art for a simple topdown 2d game. Amazing. Where I live that's enough money to fund a small studio for years.

Then why haven't they made a game like KOTC but with better graphics?!

How the fuck long do you think it takes to make a game?!

Do you even live on planet earth? :lol:

Sure, if everyone works for fucking free then you can make a nice looking game like AOD IN TEN MOTHERFUCKING YEARS WITH 3-4 GUYS.

So you pay some fuckos in brazil a million dollars. You come back 2 years later you really think you will have KOTC 2? You won't have jack shit. If you could do things that way, believe me, they would.

I spent 10k on dumbfucks making art for me before finally I caved in and get a guy with a resume on AAA games. It cost me 5k to do the work I had needed, less than I wasted on all these 'cheap' assholes. Several of them in Brazil, btw! This guy was in norway.

I ended up not using it because I found it easier/cheaper/faster to do it myself and it was not compatible with the tools I wanted to use but it was quite good quality.

Obviously you can make whatever budget you want, and if people work for FREE for years on end then you can make KOTC 1 or AOD. But most people want money to work for years on end, even the AOD and KOTC people need cash monies to keep on working at some point.

So you can sit on your ass and complain art is shit and hope he magically becomes a millionaire or that some artists becomes willing to work for years on end making sprites for him, or pay monies. It's a crazy fucking concept.

And why can this guy make a good looking game for under a million that looks good when even a AAA studio can't? :lol:

What reality do you live in. It will either look like garbage or cost money or require some delusional person to work for years on end for free. He's already done that once himself, and no artists seem to be volunteering to take up the slack....

KotC 1 looked like a reasonable game from the early 90s and I don't think he spent millions on an artist there so what exactly is the point?

Shut your hole you retarded fucking cunt.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You are a dumbass that keep repeating the same cretinism. Kill self.

So you pay some fuckos in brazil a million dollars. You come back 2 years later you really think you will have KOTC 2? You won't have jack shit. If you could do things that way, believe me, they would.
That's actually what they do. Almost all software factories here do work that is outsourced.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Anyway, my point is, the only difference between AAA game and indie is money. You want it to look good, you have to pay (at least a little). Why are dickheads willing to kickstart every stupid shit under the sun for millions but not something like this?! WHY?! WHY? Such fucking idiocy.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
You are a dumbass that keep repeating the same cretinism. Kill self.

That's actually what they do. Almost all software factories here do work that is outsourced.

I know way more about it than you ever will. Yeah they outsource the art to huehuers and they still have budget of tens of millions. Hmm. It's like it costs millions to make games that look decent!

It actually is harder on the art department to do 2d as well. 3d is plug and play and that is the main reason it is so popular with AAA studios. You don't have wasted art or extra steps and you don't have huge amounts of renders lying around to accidentally be lost.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't think you realize the level of art we are talking about here. We're talking about KOTC/Exile/etc tier grafics. Not state-of-the-art shit.

deuxhero

Arcane
I don't have a problem with the use of tokens, KotC1 was really bad looking to the point it actually hindered play with the bizzare prospective, as long as the tokens have good art. I hope the art for the environment is improved by the end product though. Everything looks too smooth and flat.

Murk

Arcane
It's pretty simple; just fucking use isometric (or close enough) with a locked camera and make some basic ass 2d art that you already have a fuckton of assets for.

Whatever, my guess is there will be some kind of easy mod or plugin for replacing the tokens. I don't know why he regressed on that front, but if the game lives up to its potential then I can just pretend I'm playing a roguelike or something.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Indeed.

'Pogs' are nice in tabletop assistant tools because then you can use any picture you pull from google and it'll look mostly consistent, but for a game with custom assets it's just a questionable choice.

Last edited:

Revenant

Yeah, now that I think of it, GoldBox tokens have only two sprites - standing and attacking. If only KotC2 could have both... the problem would be kinda solved.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, now that I think of it, GoldBox tokens have only two sprites - standing and attacking. If only KotC2 could have both... the problem would be kinda solved.
Yeah it's more than enough. Even better if there's a third one for a gored up corpse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom