Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Knights of the Chalice on Ironman - the ultimate challenge

Ironman settings

• Random world-map encounters AND cleared areas do NOT stay cleared

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No random world-map encounters AND cleared areas do NOT stay cleared

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No random world-map encounters AND cleared areas do STAY cleared

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Monocause

Arcane
Did the orc raid and crafted a masterwork composite longbow for the knight. Tell you what, game is much more fun on ironman.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Monocause said:
Did the orc raid and crafted a masterwork composite longbow for the knight. Tell you what, game is much more fun on ironman.

:P that's right. It's good for your adrenaline level.

Monocause

Arcane
Something strange happened, maybe you guys can explain.

First of all, I've grinded towards lvl3 so that a stray arrow won't kill my mages. Point blank shot for the knight and a bastard sword proficiency for the cleric (good damage while retaining the ability to use the shield).

The strange thing - I found some pretty powerful loot in random encounters on the world map. I've found a ring of fire resistance earlier, now a +2 frost greatsword. That's a little extreme for a lvl3 party, don't you think? Also, it didn't happen to me while playing on normal, perhaps it's a bonus for doing ironman?

On both occasions the great loot fell out of a single giant spider.

I didn't grind random encounters. What sort of level-scaling does this game have?

Anyway, I think you should just ask the game makers. If it's a bug, they will be happy to hear about it.

Monocause

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
I didn't grind random encounters. What sort of level-scaling does this game have?

Anyway, I think you should just ask the game makers. If it's a bug, they will be happy to hear about it.

I think the dungeons are not level-scaled. The respawns and random encounters are, throwing something like CR +/- 2 encounters at you.

I'll drop a post on the official boards later.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I think that's normal, you can get good loot from random encounters. Anyway, I didn't grind on random encounters, except maybe 3-4 encounters early on to reach lvl3.

update: I cleared the ORc Stockade and am lvl 11 now. I'm in the beginning of the mountain pass. The Orc Stockade was pretty easy after the dragon, but the gnoll ambush was critical. After the surprise round 3 of my guys were stunned (sound burst) and the non-stunned wizard was at half his HP. For quite some time into the fight I thought that's the end. But somehow I prevailed. (By this time both wizards had displacement cloaks already)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm thru the mountain pass but Sigurd has been killed (by a slaying arrow, duh!) in the fight with the black dragon, I raised him but he lost all his XP since last level-up. naturally.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I loaded my game to make a screenshot, then exited without saving first. Savegame is - of course - deleted. Maybe I start anew, maybe not.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
I loaded my game to make a screenshot, then exited without saving first. Savegame is - of course - deleted.
What a twist!

These KotC guys obviously took the ironman mode seriously. No exiting without saving first.

Sorry about your loss.

edit: Now I know to make backup copies of my saves in case of crashes to desktop.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I show you the screenshots I had taken.

kotc2010030921251313.jpg

and here I just arrived in Taneliz

[I accidentaly deleted this image from imageshack :oops: ]

Then I quit the game and I didn't save.

I'd like to mention that this is all your fault.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Since I foolishly got rid of my savegame, I'll do what an iron man does under that circumstances. I roll up a new party.

Name, race & class, STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA, feats, rolls

Valkar, human cleric, 17, 11, 14, 10, 18, 12, Initiative, Forge W&A, 3rd roll

Look at this shitty DEX couldn't he have at least 12??

Valiana, human cleric, 18,16,13, 14, 18, 12, Initiative, Scribe Scroll, 1st roll

very good, ok only 13 CON but still

Eldread, half-elf Wizard, 10, 19, 14, 20, 15, 13, Initiative, 2nd roll

jackpot

Shana, half-elf Wizard, 9, 19, 12, 20, 13, 15, Initiative, 3rd roll

not bad either

I'm starting and I will provide screenshots of the adventure.

[I accidentaly deleted this image from imageshack :oops: ]

update: this game ended almost immediately while fighting the 3 elementals for Quoris, poor party I hardly knew ye

VentilatorOfDoom said:
update: this game ended almost immediately while fighting the 3 elementals for Quoris, poor party I hardly knew ye
Lulz. I guess the beginning is sometimes hard for parties without fighters. I've never been even bruised by those elementals.

(For those who don't know and are curious, VoD tried to recover his deleted save-game but found only deleted ToEE saves. A Codexian tragedy.)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
OK the next party wasn't that cursed.

kotc2010031020122395.jpg

The Orc fight. Survived without casualties. Key: don't be too eager, let the knights do their work.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
FFS thanks Monocause for the tip, those lone spider REALLY drop kickass magic items. Just got bracers of armor+5 and I'm only lvl3.

Cue:

1. grind on lone spiders
2. ???
3. Profit!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What's up guys? Am I the only one still playing?

My new party achieved lvl5. Cleared Corinth. I'm in the cave currently.

Ambushed by 2 spiders and some skeletons:

kotc2010031120035047.jpg

After killing those plus the evil Cleric in the next room, here's the encounter with a vampire (both wizards went first, courtesy of improved initiative, magic missiles did the job easily enough):

kotc2010031123215181.jpg

The critical encounter with the spider queen Kutula and her spider minions. Here's the beginning:

kotc2010031123332378.jpg

Meanwhile Asaxor, the blue robed half-elf wizard, is unconscious:

kotc2010031123345842.jpg

I brought him back into the fight with a well placed Cure Serious.

kotc2010031123363044.jpg

Spider queen Kutula is alone and blinded (glitterdust):

kotc2010031123375816.jpg

This is just before the final magic missile:

kotc2010031123385816.jpg

And after defeating the spider queen:

kotc2010031123393527.jpg

Ready to take on the rest of the cave.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi !!
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on RPGCodex.

Cleared the cave (again without babaus & vrock) and am at the beginning of the Orc Stackade. Will keep on updating my progress.

A dwarf wizard greets us:

kotc2010031300020097.jpg

He needs help to overthrow the evil dwarf king (but you have to keep him alive) this time my wizard goes first and casts displacement on him.

kotc2010031300025517.jpg

Neptune is still alive and hostile dwarfs have been hit by a soundburst:

kotc2010031300053483.jpg

Dwarf king defeated which means:

kotc2010031300091114.jpg

With the dwarf issues settled the thri-keen leader granted me access to the ancient tomb:

kotc2010031300161888.jpg

Taramis just got CON-drained by a mummy - which means a trip to Vanicia to restore him.

kotc2010031300183684.jpg

Infront of the Orc Stockade, ready for heroics.
kotc2010031300281574.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Done with ME2, back to KotC.

We entered the Orc Stockade:
kotc2010033118342210.jpg

kotc2010033118263579.jpg

A room with a campfire and 2 trolls.
kotc2010033118403287.jpg

kotc2010033118414575.jpg

And before the point of no return:
kotc2010033118593704.jpg

This time I timed it so that I made lvl7 before the point of no return, normally you make lvl7 before encountering the dragon but you can't rest anywhere so it isn't of much use. This time I will have lvl4 spells so all will be easier than usual.

kotc2010033118513079.jpg

Yeesh

Magister
Paula Tormeson IV said:
These KotC guys obviously took the ironman mode seriously. No exiting without saving first.

Sorry about your loss.

edit: Now I know to make backup copies of my saves in case of crashes to desktop.
Jesus, really? So I guess the game must just never crash, otherwise ironman would be pretty fucking untenable. That would drive me crazy. What were they thinking? I get brownouts in the summertime, people play on laptops, many pieces of utility software can force a reboot every once in a while...

Waterd103

Novice
While I think about the new RPG im gonna play I will rerun KoTC.
My only previous run was an ironman run that ended in the orc fortress. Im sad about it because I lost because I didnt knew the game was impossible to complete without scribing scroll feats or wands. Most D&D have potions to sell or to find, or at least I would expect the cleric stores to have HUGE amounts of Wands and healing scrolls to sell, It seems this is not the case.

I wanted to do a run like previus one, where I did no rerolls, no 18 stats, no max hp.

But in the spirit of keeping with this challenge

I will use the rules proposed
Max HP
1 roll of 18
no rerolls

The exception is that I will use no random encounters of map, those only induce grinding wich is stupid to me.

Lets see how it goes, if stomeone still interested (even if this is a 1 year old thread)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom