Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline KotC (Knights of the Chalice) is awesome

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Finally bought the full version, few days ago (1.27) and I've been roaring through it - in the slaver city currently - and damn if it isn't a great game!

Much :love: :love: :love: to the guy who made it!

Sure, it has its flaws but they are pretty minor.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Slaver city was my favourite part. So many cool little things in there.

What party are you using? Did you go through the southwest caves before heading there?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, I tried the demo back when it was released and loved it but for some reason I didn't buy it then.

Made a mul knight, human cleric and two half-elf wizards and yes, did the SW caves before the orc stockade. One sure levels up quickly in this game - my party is now level 14 and I've done the beginning caves, the raided village, the stockade, the mountain pass/underground, slaver city and went genocidal against the hill giants.

My only gripe is the disability to pre-buff, which would have helped immensely with some fights and the way even animals always go for the casters - I can understand humanoid enemies going for the robed ones but wolves and lions and bears?

And dragons, dragons everywhere!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder if anyone killed demon on the lower level of these caves.

Damned Registrations

That reminds me, I need to go back there and attempt that. 3 wizard/1 cleric party should be able to pull it off I think.

God, the amount of excess money you get with a party of casters is insane. All that armor and weaponry that sells for crazy amounts of gold, and all you can spend it on is scrolls, wands and wonderous items you don't really need.

Radisshu

Prophet
I've been having this ridiculous urge to play this game since I played through the demo, but for some reason I won't buy it. I'll have to eventually, probably this summer since I'll have more money than I normally do.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fowyr said:
I wonder if anyone killed demon on the lower level of these caves.

I did.

After coming back when my party got to level 20 :M

If only people listened to Blackadder more often...

If only people read Roxor's reviews more often :x

Damned Registrations

Oh that was lame. I just went and killed him (Complete rape, level 20 wizards are broken) and he doesn't even drop any items. Pretty sad for the single most powerful enemy in the game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Blackadder said:
Good to see another convert.

I don't know about listening to Blackadder but KotC not being the game of the year on the Codex when it came out, losing to a crpg abomination is the moment i lost all confidence in this forum. I guess you are right, if only more people listened to Blackadder... :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Blackadder said:

Or, indeed, one of the thousands of us who've been recommending this game as crazy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DamnedRegistrations said:
Oh that was lame. I just went and killed him (Complete rape, level 20 wizards are broken) and he doesn't even drop any items. Pretty sad for the single most powerful enemy in the game.
Heh.

Serus said:
Blackadder said:

I don't know about listening to Blackadder but KotC not being the game of the year on the Codex when it came out, losing to a crpg abomination is the moment i lost all confidence in this forum. I guess you are right, if only more people listened to Blackadder... :D
This may have to do with the fact that the Codex "game of the year" is usually based on an unofficial arbitrary poll in arbitrary format posted on the forums by a random poster (Jaime Lannister in 2009 and 2010, Cloaked Figure in 2008?) at a more or less arbitrary point of time (November 2008, November 2009, December 2010 -- too soon, in my opinion) that only allows the users to vote for a single game, and, if memory serves, gets no coverage at all on the front page.

On one hand, you could say it fits well with the anarchic nature of the Codex and nobody cares about GOTY awards anyway. On the other hand however, and this bothers me a bit, you could also look at it as a missed opportunity. If the poll was announced in conjunction with the Year in Review article, allowed voting for at least three games over an extended period of time (cf. Jaesun's recent polls), then concluded with a summary posted on the front page, it might put some part of what old-school credibility the Codex has left to use by drawing attention to lesser known or relatively overlooked titles (KotC, Risen, Divinity II, etc.). (A dubious blessing, maybe, but I don't think the developers would shrink from accepting it.)

Whether Dragon Age gets the first place or not is more or less irrelevant; what the Codex thinks will have very little impact on its target audience either way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you don't kill him there, he shows up at the end in the big optional fight

Dumb Nazi

Novice
Serus said:
Blackadder said:

Well it has pretty bad 2D graphics and is not going to appeal to storyfags, which I now realize accounts for 80% of the codex.

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Damn right, KotC was good.

The high point of the game was that part in the orc castle when you were totally cut off from the world, couldn't rest or go back and had to go forward, low on spells and everything.

Other than that... good for what it is. A D&D nostalgia fix.

Damned Registrations

Roguey said:

Wait what? I already cleared the entire map of every living, unliving and conjured thing in the game. What fight are you talking about?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Roguey said:

Wait what? I already cleared the entire map of every living, unliving and conjured thing in the game. What fight are you talking about?

After you have defeated the main boss and his cult and talked to the lord fellow, return to Kinght's HQ. Talk to the chief knight there. This should trigger RAEP!

One of the most memorable battles EVAR!

Dominate is a broken spell. :/

Codexlurker

Savant
KotC? Do you guys mind telling me the name of this interesting RPG with DnD elements?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Rpgsaurus said:
Damn right, KotC was good.

The high point of the game was that part in the orc castle when you were totally cut off from the world, couldn't rest or go back and had to go forward, low on spells and everything.

Other than that... good for what it is. A D&D nostalgia fix.

Heh,

I think my rating of the game ended up a few percentage points higher than it would have been otherwise because early on the campfire in the Orc castle was in sort of an out of the way place that a lot of people missed.

I missed it so I ended up doing the whole place without any ability to rest.

I'd really been wanting a D&D game with those resource conservation / survival elements that are always present in P&P.

Turns out there actually was a campfire and in one of the patches he moved it to a more obvious place.

Still best game of the last 5+ years.

Damned Registrations

Mrowak said:
Roguey said:

After you have defeated the main boss and his cult and talked to the lord fellow, return to Kinght's HQ. Talk to the chief knight there. This should trigger RAEP!

Just went through that fight.
Holy fuck is that insane. I'll have to try again later while attempting to save the two retarded douches 'helping' you. I barely scraped by as it was. So many fucking humanoid slaying arrows, it's nearly impossible to win if someone dies before you can cast mass death ward. Also, the enemies were perfectly willing to spam dispel to take down my stone walls. And the cheating cunts moved one demon on top of another and basically swapped their positions. Fortunately liberal applications of acid, fire, cold, wilting and disintegration won the day.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Mrowak said:
Roguey said:

Just went through that fight.
Holy fuck is that insane. I'll have to try again later while attempting to save the two retarded douches 'helping' you. I barely scraped by as it was. So many fucking humanoid slaying arrows, it's nearly impossible to win if someone dies before you can cast mass death ward. Also, the enemies were perfectly willing to spam dispel to take down my stone walls. And the cheating cunts moved one demon on top of another and basically swapped their positions. Fortunately liberal applications of acid, fire, cold, wilting and disintegration won the day.

Glad you liked it. ;)

This is one of those fight where you might lose for no apparent reason - just because your enemy rolled better initiative or one-shot-critic-killed your tank. Once they took down three of four characters befoure their turn started.

Items of death protection and shitloadz of dominate spell scrolls are the way to go ;)

Damned Registrations

Wait, there are items of death protection? I need to reexamine my crafting options. Probably want death ward anyways for level drain and negative energy though.

Dominate did indeed seem overpowered. I refrained from using it myself though, but an npc cast it for me before going down. He seemed to get an extra roll against one of his targets when it saved the first time??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom