Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KoToR remake?

Trotsky

Arcane
Assuming it was mostly faithful to the original material. Things that might be different but also "modern" would be like a voiced protagonist instead of a silent one. We're reaching the point where simple HD remasters won't satisfy people anymore but some compromise between old and new must also be made. On the flip side the danger of a screw up incorporating all the worst aspects of modern gaming would taint/destroy a classic.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unnecessary thread is unnecessary.

However, at the end of my short stint playing KotoR II, the combat system seemed like ass to me. If a remake focused on making it a proper top down turn based party combat system, I suppose I would laud it.

Opinions?

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If we're talking about classics I'd definitely prefer a remake of Oblivion. Imagine it with a voiced protagonist oh god it's heaven :bounce:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well it certainly didn't take long for this thread to turn to shit. (outside of the OP of course)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If we're talking about classics I'd definitely prefer a remake of Oblivion. Imagine it with a voiced protagonist oh god it's heaven :bounce:
06.1.jpg

25558-1-1246554382.jpg

01.1.jpg

Oblivion_2013_03_08_10_26_24_60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
The first KotOR is just your generic Biowarian ego trip with a cackling villain and four plot items in four locations. Slightly better than NWN OC, but hardly deserving of a remake.

KotOR2 deserves a remake with better rpg system, controls, engine and combat. But it's not getting one, so I'm not sure what your point is exactly.

SniperHF

Arcane
If KOTOR 1 had a better RPG System, controls, engine, and combat then wouldn't it be better too? KOTOR1 is average but with all those things improved it would be better. 2 has most of the same flaws as 1, exaggerated even in some cases. Plus a few big new ones like being unfinished and ridiculously easy.

Neither needs remade. But if you were to remake them doing both obviously makes more sense. You remake a game to make it better not just because it was a great game beforehand.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Was this split off from another thread or what

Bioware already remade kotor, it's called Mass Effect.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On the flip side the danger of a screw up incorporating all the worst aspects of modern gaming would taint/destroy a classic.
I'm with you brother, can you imagine? Small party size, party that gets knocked out rather than killed, difficulty built around the assumption the player lets the default AI have free reign, close camera so that even if a battlefield is interesting, it's tedious to look it over, "PC, U R MY 1 N ONLY, SAVE ME" romances, low effort mini games. Dear god, it could be a disaster.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why all the hate on Kotor? Especially compared to other Bioware titles I thought Kotor was pretty decent.
I don't agree with op either, but it's because I think the game aged rather well and doesn't need a remake.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
All the remakes should be torched to the barren earth. And the suggestions like the one above should be shown their place (aka journey to rpgwatch forums together with their creators).
Where is the creativity in it? It is like modders job except it is even shittier because modders usually put some new content (even if it is complete garbage in most cases)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Assuming it was mostly faithful to the original material. Things that might be different but also "modern" would be like a voiced protagonist instead of a silent one. We're reaching the point where simple HD remasters won't satisfy people anymore but some compromise between old and new must also be made. On the flip side the danger of a screw up incorporating all the worst aspects of modern gaming would taint/destroy a classic.
I agree. Once again, the technology has jumped forward, obliterating the technological constraints that prevented developers from making isometric, turn-based RPG. It's time to play KOTOR the way it was meant to be played!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just love the smell of good trolling in the morning, it smells like...RPG watch over here

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I agree. Once again, the technology has jumped forward, obliterating the technological constraints that prevented developers from making isometric, turn-based RPG. It's time to play KOTOR the way it was meant to be played!

I would back the shit out of that. :takemymoney:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
In fact, when the first rumors that Bioware is working on a SW RPG hit the net, I assumed that it would be an isometric Infinite Engine rpg with those pretty handpainted backgrounds and Jedi-Sith duels a-la BG2 mage duels. Imagine my disappointment when I saw the first screens.

Trotsky

Arcane
Just love the smell of good trolling in the morning, it smells like...RPG watch over here

Generic internet snark and try hard edginess still impresses you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom