Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KoToR remake?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In fact, when the first rumors that Bioware is working on a SW RPG hit the net, I assumed that it would be an isometric Infinite Engine rpg with those pretty handpainted backgrounds and Jedi-Sith duels a-la BG2 mage duels. Imagine my disappointment when I saw the first screens.

GUgFWGS.png

Maybe Star Wars Total War ?

M1amnG9.jpg

Trotsky

Arcane
If KOTOR 1 had a better RPG System, controls, engine, and combat then wouldn't it be better too? KOTOR1 is average but with all those things improved it would be better. 2 has most of the same flaws as 1, exaggerated even in some cases. Plus a few big new ones like being unfinished and ridiculously easy.

Neither needs remade. But if you were to remake them doing both obviously makes more sense. You remake a game to make it better not just because it was a great game beforehand.

KoToR was indeed pretty average compared to the sequel but the latter wasn't perfect either. There is room for improvement on both games beyond simple modding.

Trotsky

Arcane
Why all the hate on Kotor? Especially compared to other Bioware titles I thought Kotor was pretty decent.
I don't agree with op either, but it's because I think the game aged rather well and doesn't need a remake.

Gaming hipster circle jerks and nerd status posturing are one of the pitfalls of the codex but it's a price worth paying.

I mostly agree but only PC gamers can still enjoy the series. KoToR fans on consoles are mostly out of luck. Too bad.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In fact, when the first rumors that Bioware is working on a SW RPG hit the net, I assumed that it would be an isometric Infinite Engine rpg with those pretty handpainted backgrounds and Jedi-Sith duels a-la BG2 mage duels. Imagine my disappointment when I saw the first screens.

Pretty dumb assumption don't ya think, considering Bioware had already gone full 3D with NWN.. speaking of which, it would be pretty easy to make KotOR in NWN since there're haks for psionics - one could just adapt that (if it hasn't already been done), and it would be vastly superior to Baby's First Aurora (KotOR).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Pretty dumb assumption don't ya think, considering Bioware had already gone full 3D with NWN.. speaking of which, it would be pretty easy to make KotOR in NWN since there're haks for psionics - one could just adapt that (if it hasn't already been done), and it would be vastly superior to Baby's First Aurora (KotOR).
I'm pretty sure the rumors started long before NWN was released. NWN was released in 2002, KOTOR a year later. Bio announced that they were working on a SW game in 2000, around the time BG2 was released, and the rumors started 6 months to a year before that.

Luckra

Educated
KotOR2 deserves a remake with better rpg system, controls, engine and combat. But it's not getting one, so I'm not sure what your point is exactly.
You could also mention a proper restored content mod (with a complete M4-78).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't have proof, but I suspect Bioware decided on NWN being 3d long before that..

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
KotOR getting away from the source material would be an improvement....

Trotsky

Arcane

Are you sure about that? The Old Republic MMO did so and it was awful. It wrecked Revan and the Exile as characters while robbing the player of their choices.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are you sure about that? The Old Republic MMO did so and it was awful. It wrecked Revan and the Exile as characters while robbing the player of their choices.
TOR being bad doesn't make KotOR better than it is.

Trotsky

Arcane
Old news but a KoToR remake is coming (user generated) and it's been met with much fanfare.

I was correct again and codex edgelords were wrong as usual. Stop shitposting dumb faggots K.

Last edited:

raesha

Educated
Id be shocked if that "remake" doesn't get hit with a cease and desist.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

So yeah, two outcomes for this:

1. Project is abandoned in a year or two (Most likely)
2. Disney sends a C&D when the project actually looks like it might get done

Ninjerk

Arcane
They didn't C&D that Dungeon Siege mod. What was it, Baldur's Gate in Dungeon Siege engine?

Oh my goodness this game looks incredible he says right as we get a good hard look at the amazing sand of tatooine that seems to have been formed from a solid hunk of plastic.

pippin

They didn't C&D that Dungeon Siege mod. What was it, Baldur's Gate in Dungeon Siege engine?

You mean the Ultima 6 in Dungeon Siege mod?
Companies can be very weird sometimes. But Ultima belongs to EA 100% so I guess they saw that mod as free publicity, while Star Wars is a third party license. If EA doesn't send them a C&D letter, Disney will.

Ninjerk

Arcane

You mean the Ultima 6 in Dungeon Siege mod?
Companies can be very weird sometimes. But Ultima belongs to EA 100% so I guess they saw that mod as free publicity, while Star Wars is a third party license. If EA doesn't send them a C&D letter, Disney will.
I think I was erroneously referring to that while thinking of Baldur's Gate Reloaded.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I loved the original Kotor. Played the shit out of it. This kind of stuff is really heartwarming and makes a great game live again, in this age of graphic whores and "muh fully animated hair" tards.

TripJack

Hedonist
levels are shit combat is shit choices are shit story is shit characters are annoying cunts

overall a great game :dance:

Ninjerk

Arcane
It had its problems. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom