Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper KOTOR2, VtM, MotB and Arcanum is/not shit! DISCUSS!

I feel both of you are just trying too hard, obsidian may not be a beacon of hope for RPG players everywhere, but they certainly arent bioware or beth.
You're right. Bioware and Beth at least deliver completed games.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FSM might be trying too hard (especially when he is saying that Arcanum is a bad game ffs) but he has a point. Obsidian was always aping Bioware, with the exception of New Vegas, and they weren't very good at it.

FSM might be trying too hard (especially when he is saying that Arcanum is a bad game ffs) but he has a point. Obsidian was always aping Bioware, with the exception of New Vegas, and they weren't very good at it.
Arcanum is a bad game. Definitely not trying too hard when coming to the conclusion that a game with broken combat and horribawful encounter design is bad.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Arcanum is a bad game."

No. Don't.

KOTOR2 is average.

MOTB is abiove average.

Aracnum is genuinely good and its combat is underrated.

V:BL is good but its combat is crappy.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Mask of the Betrayer was awesome. Obviously the engine and combat sucked, but it was easy enough to plow through without much effort. It was a perfect storyfag's game, though: writing, characters, story were great, and the setting - as unique as it could get for Derpgotten Realms. Also, one of the few games with fully developed and extremely satisfying evil path. Definitely the best Obsidian's game so far (even though it's only an expansion pack).

I enjoyed KotOR2, but its weaknesses are glaring and obvious: engine, TPP, easiest combat ever, and of course the fact that it was essentially not complete. The tasteful assrape of star wars setting was glorious and justified at least two playthroughs (I still haven't played the restored content).

Bloodlines... well, suffice to say I finished the game only once, on cheats, because I couldn't trudge through the endless shitty combat that was ~1/3 of the whole game. Still, the atmosphere was top-notch, I have to say.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Bloodlines is only good up to Giovanni mansion probably, after that it devolves rapidly with level after level of killing shit without any C&C, boring levels of corridors and enemies trying to swarm you.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I agree that VTMB is the best Troika game. Its first half has some genuinely good content and VTM setting helps a lot. Arcanum blows but I enjoyed it for the most part when I first played it because it was the first iso, TB old-skool RPG I had played so I had nothing to compare it to. Of course I later discovered Fallout 1 and 2 which are superior in almost every respect. I can't stomach the thought of replaying it.

KOTOR 2 is ... interesting, though I haven't played it without the restored content mod. It's not fun to play but at least it has redeeming value in its story and characters.

IMO Troika is overrated by the Codex and (NWN2 OC aside) Obsidian's track record is pretty decent.

Last edited:
I miss the Old Days™ when we didn't split threads.
Also, MoTB is great, even the high-level D&D combat is occasionally fun.
Agree that VtM:B could use about a third less combat though.
That is probably true of half of all CRPGs, but especially VtM:B.

eremita

Savant
So let me tell how it is... KOTOR2 is a shit game with some cool lines. That's it, fuck it, it's boring as fuck after first playthrough. MotB is one of the best story focused CRPG of all time. I'd say it's even better than PT - you can tell it's done by more experienced designers and it's story is better presented. VtMB has very funny and smart writing, it's atmospehere fuckin rules, there's some nice CC and even though it's quite rough around the edges, it has soul. Arcanum is probably the best CRP ever made, fuck the haters.

Also, OP is a faggot for creating this thread and I'm a faggot for posting in it. Couldn't help it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So let me tell how it is... KOTOR2 is a shit game with some cool lines.
Being able to choose between killing or saving Jedi Masters is cool. Actually on most planets you get to choose between working for one faction or the other. Completely ignoring Kreia, you have a lot of dialogue and choices with the rest of the party members, with minor/moderate C&C in terms of influencing their alignment and training them into Jedi/Sith. Combat is shit and encounter design is even shittier than KOTOR1, not arguing with that.

Also, OP is a faggot for creating this thread and I'm a faggot for posting in it. Couldn't help it.
It was split from another thread.

MotB is one of the best story focused CRPG of all time. I'd say it's even better than PT - you can tell it's done by more experienced designers and it's story is better presented. VtMB has very funny and smart writing, it's atmospehere fuckin rules, there's some nice CC and even though it's quite rough around the edges, it has soul. Arcanum is probably the best CRP ever made, fuck the haters.
Lolllll

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom