Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

La Mulana 2

Repressed Homosexual
A Kickstarter has just been announced

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2

Now THIS is worth it. The original was such a fantastic Metroidvania like, even though it might have gone somewhat too far with the environmental puzles. It's one of the best indie games ever, maybe even the best. This is what games SHOULD be like: fantastically clever and detailed design, gameplay and puzzles, instead of hipster gimmicks and meta references.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First one was grossly overrated. Got bored in a couple of hours.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
didnt get enough money from sales or something?
obviously it's never enough...

15$ for a copy lol, I'd give 8$ at most.

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
La-Mulana is one of the best games of the last decade and I agree, it's probably the best indie game ever made. So much carefully crafted content.
I'd buy a sequel for full retail price.

Although seeing the December 2015 estimate is pretty disappointing, I hoped it would be further into development already.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That has no bearing on my point. To say this mediocre platformer is one of the best games of the last decade is moronic. Though that dude with 13 posts is probably one of your alts.

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
You need to play more games.
Too bad you couldn't enjoy it for whatever reason but I can try to give you some of the reasons why I thought it stood out of the many games, especially indies, that I have played in recent years:
  • Enormous amounts of content. My first playthrough took me about 70 hours. There are 17 interconnected dungeons (plus a surface area) to navigate, each with their own visual, musical and gameplay theme. Also a large amount of upgrades, items and secrets. And a bonus post-game dungeon. It even has a lot of replayability for a puzzle-heavy game due to non-linearity, hard mode challenges and bonus stuff. For a ~10€ game.
  • Puzzles that keep the promise of this being an "archaelogical adventure". You get thrown into the ruins with some NPC guidance but that's it, everything else is up to you to figure out, from the puzzles to (the meaning of) room layouts and trap mechanics, hidden passages, uses of relics you find and so on. You will eventually even need to translate the fictional language scripts, learn the meaning of symbols or the number system and apply that knowledge to progress. All through environmental hints, exploration, observation and cryptic tablet messages. And even though the game will require large amounts of backtracking and you will not see immediate progress or rewards for every solved puzzle or get stuck on some of the more bullshit-y puzzles, it never feels boring.
  • The theme is awesome, a fantasy spin on the "cradle of civilization" concept. While there is some randomness in the way it blends all those different mythologies, cosmologies and architectures together, almost everything has a gameplay significance and it's just unique and fun to explore.
  • Good controls and UI with neat touches like the "paperdoll" or the different resting animations depending on your characters current location, it's simply all very detailed and well designed.
  • Generally the challenge. Few games released between 2005 and now actually dare you to beat them, and require patience and effort instead of handholding you through to the end.

And no, I'm not an alt account but calling this a mediocre platformer and using that as a reason why it can't be one of the best really is moronic. Not every game needs turn-based combat and an isometric perspective to be great.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You are moronic.

repressedhomorainbow.gif

dunno lah

Arcane
It's the other way round. La Mulana, as they said was inspired by Maze of Galious. Maze of Galious and the Castlevania 1 MSX port also play very similarly so it has "metoridvania" qualities.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another series massively overrated by emotional Japanophiles due to its elusive status.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom