Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Lore - the Throne of Chaos

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
EA's shareholders wouldn't really be too excited to hear them working on a game that is going to sell 100 copies.....

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
You're probably right. LOL isn't a strong brand. Might & Magic is... also because of the continuous large community built on Heroes of Might&Magic. It explains why Ubisoft let MMX-Legacy happen. This can't be said for LOL... it could have been a strong RPG label, but EA had no interest in it. They ditched everything from Westwood, except Command&Conquer. Well... sux.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You are aware that Ubisoft cancelled any further Might and Magic games right? They are still going to make the strategy games though. Apparently those sell better.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
You are aware that Ubisoft cancelled any further Might and Magic games right? They are still going to make the strategy games though. Apparently those sell better.

Was there an official statement of some kind from Ubisoft/Limbic or is that a mere assumption based on the (supposedly) "less than stellar" sales of M&MX?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
Actually they didn't say the Might&Magic blobber series is over, they only said they stopped developing DLC and support for this game to concentrate on the next projects (which is Might&Magic Heroes 7). It doesn't mean there can't happen a Might & Magic XI. Not the MM-chapter is over, only the the MMX-chapter is over. But of course Ubisoft could ditch it anyways. My guts say a successor won't happen that soon :/ ...

Btw. a small word to remaking LOL1 or LOL2: a remake of the 2nd part would only be easier in matters of skill system and items. There weren't that many items in the whole game and the special abilities have all been disclosed. Also the skill system was kinda cheap e.g. once you gained a certain level you didn't gain any experience from the monsters at all - even if they'd kill you in 5 hits (e.g. max. Level 15 could be reached from killing panthers in the jungle, and after that level progress completely stopped while they could still kill you easily). A step-like skillsystem: "from killing these monsters you get at max to level XX and from these other monsters at max to level YY etc. You never felt like a god amongst them, which was kinda unsatisfying. They completely rolled their own Adventure-RPG-System. Regarding remakes I found a german community site, with some attempt for a fangame, but this site is clearly dead. Not even a forum registration is possible anymore.

LJ40

Cipher
I don't see anything in that link that even hints at the blobber series being over, so I guess the answer is no?

On topic: This game (LoL) looks pretty sweet, and I thank the Codex for yet another solid recommendation.

naossano

Cipher
Funny is that this game was the first one i tried that was considered as an RPG (i played Diablo first, but i didn't know people considered it as an RPG, and Baldur's gate but i never went beyond the third chapter). It is basically Oblivion without fast travel, quest marker and the other casual features. It was released in 1993 while Fallout was released in 1997. Yet, almost everyone call Fallout old-school and Fallout 3 modern. How is it modern when develloppers did the same things 20 years before ? How is it modern when you dumb down things instead of improving them ? I wish people got rid of the "old-school" term when talking about isometric. Those genre always existed in the same time... I would even say that at the time iso-tb Fallout was already a break from those 1st perso RT games.

Still, i liked the game and will probably replay it a fourth time, still with Akshel as i can't imagine playing without those spells... Mostly for graphics and nostalgia. A shame that there aren't much good sprite based games these days...

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
Had a weird moment yesterday...

... instead of recreating LOL1 in a 3d engine one could remake LOL2 - but using a grid-based dungeons instead of the 360° environment. So every location would be made of dungeon bricks, basically the whole game changed into a classic dungeon crawler type. Of course some of the jump & run riddles would have to be "converted" to more appropriate types of riddles. What a stupid idea ---

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
One thing is, that there's only 1 protagonist to control. Not much of a party gameplay.
Second thing is the class system must be overhauled or there is no replayability value.

LOL1 had 3 classes: mage, rogue, fighter
LOL2 had 3 classes too.... the common human = universal, the small lizard = mage, the big monstrum = fighter

When I think about that, I almost tend to believe Westwood simplified it because of:
"We not only have 3 classes, but also 3 races!!! Not only 3-in-1, but 6-in-1 !!! All in one person! Isn't that genius?"

Probably a blobber sequel would be better.

Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
I must revoke my critics to these games. The Lands of Lore trilogy is a piece of art. Even the 2nd part, even the 3rd one. So many people contributed to these series - and Westwood displayed it all in a vibrant, colorful way and even as characters. This was probably the reason I loved these games more than any Elder Scrolls game, no matter how many bugs they had. If I'd touch it trying to create a remake or fan-spinoff - it would never succeed or come close to any of the 3 games, because it would simply lack the variety of people, who made Lands of Lore the game it was and still is.

Even now... just watched a short Let's Play from the 3rd part and - behold - so many artists contributed there...the credits music - it is oh so good and professional... a small tear runs down in nostalgia. Sniff :'( Looked up some of the people on imdb... many of them were actors.... at a time where actors didn't cost billions of dollars. Wonder what they're doing now. I hope they are proud of their works. I wished there were Lands of Lore 4

Naraya

Arcane
Playng through LoL and avoiding any walkthroughs, I'm looking for a bit of guidance - possibly without spoilers please.

How can I gather swamp water? Is there a special place I can do that or am I'm missing something obvious?

groundhog

Educated
Playng through LoL and avoiding any walkthroughs, I'm looking for a bit of guidance - possibly without spoilers please.

How can I gather swamp water? Is there a special place I can do that or am I'm missing something obvious?

I hope you're not trying to carry dirty water in your hands, terribly unhygienic!

Naraya

Arcane

I hope you're not trying to carry dirty water in your hands, terribly unhygienic!
Nope, I have empty vials that I'm trying to use for this purpose, but to no avail.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Nope, I have empty vials that I'm trying to use for this purpose, but to no avail.

If you keep exploring everything you should find yourself in an area at some point where you'll immediately know you should use the vial.

DraQ

Arcane
LOL1 had 3 classes: mage, rogue, fighter
LOL2 had 3 classes too.... the common human = universal, the small lizard = mage, the big monstrum = fighter
:retarded:

IIRC you need to take it from those pits you can sink into.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Good, this is how people should get hints :salute:
Keep asking here if you run into other problems (I foresee one tight spot)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
LOL1 has a point of no return where you could end up in an unwinnable game state, so keep multiple saves.
Does it outside if bugs. which should all be fixed on CD version or with latest patch? Can you elaborate? (put it in spoilers just in case)

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
LOL1 has a point of no return where you could end up in an unwinnable game state, so keep multiple saves.
Does it outside if bugs. which should all be fixed on CD version or with latest patch? Can you elaborate? (put it in spoilers just in case)

Well there's the following even tho it's not a real dead end but

if you use the barrier breaking cube before going to the white tower you'll have a hard time fighting the ghosts. It's still doable when you equip baccata with the right weapons but it's way harder.

Also I got stuck last time I played it which was 3 months ago or so at

the point where you kill one of the two factions. I killed everyone and cleared the whole dungeon but the guys where I should redeem my quest are not there so I'm stuck forever. GoG version.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
if you use the barrier breaking cube before going to the white tower you'll have a hard time fighting the ghosts. It's still doable when you equip baccata with the right weapons but it's way harder.
The Emerald Swords work wonders against the ghosts, and I find that visiting Yvel first makes the rest of the tower much easier, so it balances out a bit.

the point where you kill one of the two factions. I killed everyone and cleared the whole dungeon but the guys where I should redeem my quest are not there so I'm stuck forever. GoG version.
This one sounds more like a bug, but that's pretty bad if it happens. There is a way to get out of the dungeon without genociding the other side, but that involves killing the quest guys from your side, and if they're not there...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
The Emerald Swords work wonders against the ghosts, and I find that visiting Yvel first makes the rest of the tower much easier, so it balances out a bit.

This one sounds more like a bug, but that's pretty bad if it happens. There is a way to get out of the dungeon without genociding the other side, but that involves killing the quest guys from your side, and if they're not there...

Yeah it is most likely a bug. I played through the game before and this never happened. Aw well, it was at least short before the last dungeon, still feels frustratingly uncompleted ;)

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
The first time I played I had so much trouble with the ghosts, I had no idea the cube thing was also a weapon. It was a good game, though.

The second one was not quite as good but I still liked it.

I am kind of surprised no one has dragged this corpse out to light yet. It is much more in line with moderntardism style of gameplay than any of the stuff being dredged up for kickstarter.

naossano

Cipher
After scrolling the thread i just found out that the game has two version.

Does the GoG version the same as the CD version or the floppy disk version ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom