Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun Cancelled

I recently replayed the original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, it's pretty incline but the loadtimes really are a bitch.

Also, the chick who voiced Ariel is Skyler from Breaking Bad. :troll:

I liked the Soul Reaver games mostly for the atmosphere, and the Information Society music. This multiplayer only Nosgoth sounds fucking terrible.

J1M

Arcane
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594576

Here is an actual link to the 10 Legacy of Kain projects you may not have heard of.

For the most part, the cancellations were for the best or of projects that later became good LoK games. The stuff that was kept alive that shouldn't have been ended up in Blood Omen 2.

The only cancelled project that may have been an actual loss is Dark Sun, but reading about the protagonist makes much less interested. He was supposed to be a vampire who bites a human and something goes wrong (tm) so now they are two souls in one body and can switch between physical and spirit realms. While I would be glad to see the series return to the gameplay seen in soulreaver, I also don't want to see the strong protagonists of the rest of the series replaced by a pair of bickering metrosexuals or whatever is considered cool these days.

• Gein is one of these Saradin vampires, and he attacks a human of Nosgoth called Asher. Gein kills Asher and begins to feed on his soul. Something happens here that causes Asher’s human soul to accidentally become bound in Gein’s body. Gein becomes a unique creature, a human soul in control of (and trapped in) a vampire body.
  • Gein/Asher attempts to return to his human village, but during his absence the settlement has been attacked and torched. Gein/Asher unsuccessfully attempts suicide.
Fuck that loser.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You took damage in the sun, some paths only opened up during certain time of day or moon phases. If you turned into a werewolf, NPCs would turn hostile. Dirty gypsies threw knives at you. It was p. cool, and the first PS1 game I bought. Slowdown and loading were a BITCH though.
Just to point out, but this is incorrect. In Blood Omen, during daytime your melee damage was decreased. However, you did take minor damage in rain (until a Blood Fountain upgrade prevents this). NPCs were also hostile by default, wolf form was used to jump and move faster. Human forms were used to pacify most human NPCs (you could talk to them that way too).

Blood Omen is in many ways better than the Zelda games.

O I C. Wonder why they don't sell this one on Steam... or apparently any other sites from what I see.
:itisamystery:

The console version at least is on PSN though. Last time I checked it's one of the highest user-rated PS1 games there (as is Soul Reaver).

Zeriel

Arcane
Probably, yeah.

Modern garbage action game set in Legacy of Kain universe in singleplayer could still have some fun moments, this sure won't.

funkadelik

Arcane
So a most likely shitty God Of War clone with the Legacy of Kain name slapped onto it (seriously the main character's concept art even looked exactly like the God of War dude) and a blood-in-your-piss red camera filter worse than Desu Ex got cancelled? I shed no tears.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
]
Just to point out, but this is incorrect. In Blood Omen, during daytime your melee damage was decreased. However, you did take minor damage in rain (until a Blood Fountain upgrade prevents this). NPCs were also hostile by default, wolf form was used to jump and move faster. Human forms were used to pacify most human NPCs (you could talk to them that way too).

Blood Omen is in many ways better than the Zelda games.

Exactly. Wolf Form not only had a great transformation animation, but was also faster and thus more powerful than Kain in melee combat (thus Vorador uses wolf form to take out Malak in that sweet as cutscene) However, in Vampire form Kain had access to some sweet ass Vampire spells, including possession. And that amazing inventory of weapons and also unique objects (like Flay) Best of all, most of these were optional, you could miss them while playing. If you collected all, you usually alternated for the fun of it. Kain could also access Mist form, which was quite useful, and bat form for fast traveling. Again a great animation for the transformation for the time. Kain also has the best voice acting and dialogue for any gaming character ever, to this very day.

The reason why the Soulreaver games were so different and focused on platforming and puzzles more than combat was simple: Amy Henning. This cunt was the PA of the creator of Bloodomens and the Kain character. Once he left Crystal Dynamics Amy took over all his stuff and thereafter made Soulreaver. We technically, Soulreaver was supposed to be some other unique game, but during development they decided to make it a LoK game, thus you have the retarded character of Raziel and the realm shifting. And ofcourse, the utterly moronic story.

And ofcourse, since Amy was a wimminz she didn't like the Kain character so we got Raziel. Furthermore, Kain was now not evil but had secret and good intentions. One of the best things about BloodOmen: LoK was the opening scene, where you control a human Kain. It is quite clear that Kain as a human was just as much of an soulless asshole as after becoming a Vampire. It was a fantastic twist on the pure hearted chosen one gimmick in every game (like Zelda for instance) A character is chosen to become the protagonist because he is a vile, arrogant murderer...instead of the other way around. The biggest insult was the fact that the Soulreaver was actually an optional sword in the original BO, and not a very good one at that (as it prevented Kain from using his spells). They then decided to make it the focal point of every game after, even naming the series that.

The BO series needs a reboot bad with Kain as the lead, but this time make it a full fledged action rpg and make it a trilogy. I would also love a turn based crpg (kickstarted even) based on Nosgoth during this timeframe or roundabouts. You could choose from Sarafin Knights, Mentalists, Paladins, Vampires, Werewolves, Necromacers, etc to make your party. The landscape would be blasted and depressing, with superstitious villagers that exist solely to be crushed. Something Ravenloft would have been if they had the balls.

dunno lah

Arcane
William The Just or the druid+mage bosses remade as Dark Souls-style boss battles is just so good I can't help but post it here...:bounce:

Glyphwright

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594576

Trannies and faggots, I bring to you a mega-forum post by Mama Robotnik, which provides juicy behind-the-scenes details on the jaw-droppingly humongous number of cancelled titles to the awesome gothic action game series Legacy of Kain. The last two titles are sequels to the Legacy of Kain: Defiance which were mercilessly cancelled after a shitload of writing, scripting, and modeling went into the projects.

Legacy of Kain: Dark Prophecy

This would have been a direct sequel to Defiance, following a spiritually cleansed and strangely hopeful Kain on his quest to heal Nosgoth of the Elder God's manipulation and keep the Hylden from making a comeback into the Material Realm. Apparently, a great portion of the game would take place in the Demonic Realm, and the Hylden Glyph cities that float in the chaos of the demon dimension, their power slowly fading and giving way to corruption (glyph!!). We would learn the fate of Janos Audron, visited the ruins of Malek's Bastion re-appropriated by the Hylden to produce Hylden-possessed Armor Wraiths, and seen Kain return to the ruined Nosgoth that Raziel had left way back in Soul Reaver 1. The main writer of Soul Reaver and Defiance had left the project, the voice of Elder God had died, and my favorite character Raziel would not be around, so this probably wouldn't be as perfect of a conclusion as I would have wished, but it still pains me to think that we'll never get to see Kain's story reach a proper conclusion.

Dark Sun

This would have relaunched the series by offering a new story, set hundreds of years into the future, and featuring a conflict between evolved blue-skinned soul-devouring vampires and humans, and a new protagonist with the ability to shift between Material and Spectral Realms, his backstory and appearance making him seem vaguely similar to Raziel. I don't know how excited I would be to play this game without a proper conclusion to the five-game storyline that was shot down when Dark Prophecy was cancelled. This game was cancelled too, and its multiplayer component was apparently released as a stand-alone game called Nosgoth (???). Huh.

J1M

Arcane
We have a thread for this already. Go find it and it will be like you went into the future of this thread.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Holy shit them visuals... so pretty :negative:

musix too

Goddammit that actually looked sort of cool. Combat and aesthetics reminded me a lot of PoP: Sands of Time.

Premise looked retardo, though. Lolwut, another winged soul-eating vompoya? And an emotormented protag on a mission to avenge his waifu? The vamp following you around as a spectator seemed like a fun idea, though.

Also breadcrumb trail quest compass

And 'fucks' and dicktalks in muh Legacy of Kain :hmmm:

I'm conflicted about this game getting canned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-leaks-from-cancelled-legacy-of-kain-dead-sun

Gameplay of cancelled Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun leaks
30 minutes of Climax's culled creation.

Half an hour of footage from cancelled PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Legacy of Kain game Dead Sun has found its way online.

The title had been in development for three years at British studio Climax, known for its work on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and the upcoming Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China.

Legacy of Kain series developer Crystal Dynamics, then busy building the Tomb Raider reboot, had also been involved in overseeing the project.

But publisher Square Enix pulled the plug in 2012 after it decided that the title would not meet its sales expectations, even as the project was being discussed as a PS4 launch title.

The footage, dug up by NeoGAF user Mama Robotnik, includes glimpses at the game's early cut-scenes, exploration, combat and gameplay.

There are similarities to Assassins' Creed to be found, as well as elements familiar to Shadow of Mordor - such as an otherworldly protagonist and spiritual buddy, with exploration and missions set across a large open environment.

Gameplay is taken from a "vertical slice demo" of the game presumably made for internal use within Square Enix.

It's not the first we've heard of the game - Mama Robotnik revealed its existence back in 2013with a similar information dump - but this is the first time we've seen in-game footage.

Square Enix acknowledged the cancelled project had existed at the time of the previous leak, and also confirmed that it would not ever see the light of day.

"I can confirm that Dead Sun was a project which had been in development - but which was cancelled," then community manager George Kelion wrote at the time.

"I know it's disappointing to hear about these things out of context, and whilst some of the details released are accurate - some details are not. You know game projects can be cancelled for a variety of different reasons and I know it's very hard to tell from images and info alone, but in the end LOK: Dead Sun just wasn't the right game, at the right time... but you'll have to take me at my word on that, I'm afraid."

Only the game's multiplayer portion survived Square Enix's cull - it was expanded upon and recently released separately as the free-to-play spin-off Nosgoth.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Holy shit them visuals... so pretty :negative:

musix too

Goddammit that actually looked sort of cool. Combat and aesthetics reminded me a lot of PoP: Sands of Time.

Premise looked retardo, though. Lolwut, another winged soul-eating vompoya? And an emotormented protag on a mission to avenge his waifu? The vamp following you around as a spectator seemed like a fun idea, though.

Also breadcrumb trail quest compass

And 'fucks' and dicktalks in muh Legacy of Kain :hmmm:

I'm conflicted about this game getting canned.

Yeah, basically everything about it not related to character design/narrative choices is amazing, and rest is pretty wincingly awful. But I guess we already knew modern game devs love pandering to some mystical "new mainstream bro gamers who need an introduction our series even though they have no desire to play it whatsoever so great marketing strategy ayy lmao" audience.

Murk

Arcane
donno man, once glimpse at the jiggling titty and I was pretty sure the game was gonna give the worst possible version of "mature" imaginable

I remember when I played IWD the first time, it was like bumping into old friends when I came across Kresselack and Larel. Fucking flash backs i tell ya h'what.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder if those rumors about how it got, in large part, vetoed by Crystal Dynamics based on lore reasons are actually true. That really makes you wonder just how much of a bang-up job they did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom